BluGuitar Amp 1 Iridium "metal edition" is coming

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by laxu, Aug 19, 2019.

1. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

Hi,

no, i have an EMG707 in the bridge.

Regards

2. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

EMGs and BKPs can have that inherent twang or spike that becomes apparent on some gain pedals or amps. Espescially when there is bright cap on gain and gain is set low. Try to use tubescreamer with „tone” knob rolled quite a bit. Cheers.

aesthyrian likes this.
  3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Have any of you tried this through a regular old 4x12 or 2x12?

That’s all i really care about lol

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I will be in 3 hours!!!
    2x12 waiting for me at my band practice space.

I will get some phone footage of this little mofo!! :)

5. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

Nice, can't wait for your report! Hope it cuts through well in a band.

aesthyrian likes this.
  6. Element0s

Element0s Low Fantasy/Black Denim

Looking forward to hearing your sample, Lewis. I'm also interested primarily in the live tone. For recording I'd mainly use it as a DI with the audio strictly for zero-latency monitoring.

Appreciate the clips you're posting, Vendo. Hopefully you can figure out what's causing that sound. There's a weird, clickitty-clack percussive thing going on.

Backsnack likes this.
  7. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

All i care about is cab response. I will only use this live to save my back.

8. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

*Excitedly waiting for thread updates*

9. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

My 2nd Iridium arrived today, same 'issue'. Sounds very twangy/percussive at times. At this point i suspect my guitar.

Sidenote: i've dialed them in exactly the same in order to compare...and they sound sliiightly different in general. My first one will stay. Second one goes back.

10. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

- deleted -

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Shame you arent satisfied @vendo

I will have some basic footage tomorrow on here hopefully.

I liked it into a cab but i defo didnt get that twangy thing going on. Im putting it down to dead strings so ive got some more on the way. Also the cab isnt the best. An old cheap peavey 2x12 but with V30s swapped in. Going to do more jamming with it and try a few more things.

I still dont get why a load is needed to go direct?
    I plan on the HX > 3rd party IR > FOH/Monitor route but are you actually telling me it the direct sound will sound different if i had a cab (or load) connected at the same time?

Because that would be really stupid. Thankfully thats what im planning to do anyway but for others that would be a deal breaker

Edit.
    This 2x12 also had no balls. Bass on full on the unit still didnt seem to produce any rumble. My Headrush produces more low end so this cab is pretty weak sounding. And the unit is tight asf.

There is some frequencies i dont like but with the HX connected i could add a post eq block and change them. (Mostly something in the mids im not keen on. Low mid ish/boxy type)

12. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

"I still dont get why a load is needed to go direct?"

Well... it's more like: you don't need to, but the sound without a load is simply not good. So for me that's unusable. Support confirmed that the recording out sounds different without a load due to the missing feedback. I couldn't get a good sound without a load at all. Always sounding super honky/boxy. And adding a 1000 band EQ isn't exactly the goal here.

So IF someone wants to get an Iridium in order to use the recording out straight into whatever... without a load... you have to be aware of that.

lewis likes this.
  13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Yeah thats absolutely ridiculous. They have gotten so much right with this little thing - why the heck did they design it like this? No wonder my home sound direct into my Headrush FRFR sounded boxy.

Mind you i though i was getting some boxiness in the cab too.
    Does it only disappear if you use both outputs at once i wonder?
    I.e
    JUST into a cab > Boxy mids
    JUST direct > Boxy mids
    Both at the same time > Problem solved?

14. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

Hm, no. For me adding a load got rid of it. What you might have experience is simply the mid frequencies of the Iridium. Have you played around with the tone knob on the left?

lewis likes this.
  15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Yeah i did. Quite abit.

This is where an efx device with it is going to be great.
    I like the high end and the gain characteristic. The things im not keen on tone wise on the modern channel -i can simply eq out with a graphic eq block added in the chain after the amp but before any cab IR stuff one side (other side will be into a real cab)
    Find the boxy shit and remove it and dial in more low end chug.
    Tbf i used fishman moderns rather than my tried and tested EMGs. The moderns are hifi and always seem overly thin to me whereas i love emgs for that huge chug and pushed sound.

I imagine that will be better to my ears when i go back to using emgs again long term.

16. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

Well, that's exactly where the Iridium falls apart to me. If you need to massively EQ the sound to make it fit for you, it's not the right fit in the first place. I bought the Iridium because i thought it would be a more hassle-free way to get a good direct sound. But if step 1 is already plugging in a loadbox...and step 2 would be to use quite some EQ... meh.

Not to mention the shared EQ across the channels.

Something like an Fractal Audio FM3 looks to be more hassle free + more features, for slightly more money (talking about Iridium+Loadbox/Cab).

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  17. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

@vendo

Kind of a bummer to find one the recording out doesn’t seem to be all that useful. I was thinking about getting an Amp1 as a desktop amp into my computer while I’m still space limited and can’t run a cab for the time being.

I am, however, still interested in it for use as a regular amp. Looks like I’ll be waiting a bit until have the space to run a cab.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    lewis likes this.
  18. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

The recording out is only useful if you run the Iridium straight into a cab. For anything else it's pointless. Any decent loadbox has a lineout anyways...

19. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

The load with the recording out seems like a weird oversight, but to me it's not a deal breaker. I think their primary market is people who don't want to lug a big head around anymore, and the Iridium excels in that situation as far as I can tell. All the other stuff is icing on the cake.

For people looking to go direct there are countless options out there in the modeler world. And if you want to go analog there are plenty of preamps, lightweight power amps, and ir loaders.

It'd be great if the Iridium checked all the boxes, but that seems like a tough ask for something retailing under $1000 and is super portable.

Wolfhorsky and lewis like this.
  20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Some excellent points.

Despite it not blowing me away tonally into a cab - i still love the thing and want to tinker with it more too. Could be user error at this point aswell.

Dont know whether to crank the global master to full then you get desired volume using the channel master or the other way around haha