BluGuitar Amp 1 Iridium "metal edition" is coming

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by laxu, Aug 19, 2019.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I meant do you think i DIDNT get that because i used the analog cab sim straight into an FRFR

Edit

Was getting mostly fizz and low mid stuff i didnt like

2. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Yeah I think it's worth checking into if your unit sounds vastly different from what you're hearing from other demos.

I'm interested in using this with the line/recording output into my interface so your comments are definitely grabbing my attention.

3. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Ok stupid question/suggestion @vendo and @lewis. And maybe @laxu can chime in here as well:

Does the poweramp have an "off" mode? If not, maybe try switching it into "home" mode to cut down the wattage even though you aren't using it. Does that change the sound at all on the line out?

lewis likes this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Will try that tomorrow and update in here :)
    Ive got the whole day at home and free from kids

Backsnack likes this.
  5. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

Well, all cutting wattage would do is making the sound saturate earlier. It would change the sound for sure.

To sum up my current findings for using the Iridium directly with a computer/IRs:
    - recording out straight into interface doesn't sound good. sounds boxy and hollow.
    - adding a load improves the sound, i'd go as far as saying: i wouldn't use this without a load ever
    - i get a really twangy sound, no matter what i do. I've actually just contacted the support to see if they think it sounds 'correct'

lewis likes this.
  6. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Theoretically it shouldn't matter since the recording output shouldn't be tied to the power amp, but maybe it is after all?

Who knows.

7. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

It definitely is, as cranking it up affects the signal volume and tone wise.

8. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

I'd write a support email to Bluguitar and ask them what's up with that.

9. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I think Thomas Blug has said that the recording out sound slightly changes if there is a real cab hooked to the speaker outs or not. That's probably part of what you are experiencing with the load box as it would serve a similar purpose.

Interesting bit from the FAQ page from BluGuitar regarding the Mercury and its recording out:

"If you want to get even closer to the sound of a miked up box, without having to use a cabinet, you should use devices that work with digital impulse response speaker simulations. To get an unfiltered signal for this kind of application, use a DI-box with a PAD attenuation function direct on the speaker output of the AMP1 to reduce the speaker signal level to line level."

They of course recommend their own BluBox unit but this might be another way to use the device direct. For the Iridium this should not matter since the recording out with the cab sim disabled should serve this purpose. I think the recording out might be tapped out of the poweramp signal or right before being fed to the Class D solid-state poweramp.

The twangy sound might be a bright cap on the gain control if you run it low. Try instead turning your amp gain high and rolling off guitar volume to compensate and see if that changes things.

I would highly recommend trying it into a real cab because that's where it sounds best.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  10. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

That's exactly how I'm using the iridium. Speaker out into loadbox into interface.

As I wrote above: the recording out is def. Chained after the Poweramp, as otherwise you won't be able to get the tube saturation.

I've used both my krank and earforce with their line outs... The earforce had the line out after the poweramp for the same purpose. It should sound good no matter if you run it into a cab or into an ir, at least not drastically different. That's not how amps work.

11. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Hmm

Maybe I'll wait to buy this until I have the space to use this with a real cab.

12. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

13. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Ok I hear what you're talking about now. It's not as obnoxious as I was expecting, but it's definitely still worth asking about. It's that sort of bright "stringiness" on the end of each note, right?

14. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

Yeah, it kinda makes the sound quite busy.... which is even more present when double tracking guitars. You certainly don't hear that with youtube demos i think....

15. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Not in Ola's or John Browne's videos, nope.

16. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

Yeah, it might even be my guitar, who knows. Sadly i don't have another one for testing. Or maybe it truly is the Amp1 Iridium..... gonna wait for the supports's answer.

17. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

Support can't help me here.... Ordered another iridium to test myself.

18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Iridium in stereo? Haha

19. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

Hehe... i feel dirty for ordering the 2nd one, as i will return it anyways. But i'm not done testing and i really wanna see if mine functions as it should or not. If they sound the same.... i'm fairly sure it's not my guitar, since i'd get that sound with amp sims as well then i guess.

Well, i'll definitely report back.

Regards

lewis likes this.
  20. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Do You use BKPs?

lewis likes this.