BluGuitar Amp 1 Iridium "metal edition" is coming

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by laxu, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

Clip Lasse Lammert just posted. Yep... not even 800 bucks guys. sounds great.

Mathemagician, Element0s and lewis like this.
  2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I've learned Lassee is picky as shit, so if he digs this then it's a keeper.

lewis likes this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Damn that sounds quality in a mix /\

Wonder if thats the built in IR, a 3rd party, or a Micd up Cab

4. sylcfh

sylcfh SS.org Regular

Video says Engl Pro with 2 sm57's.

lewis likes this.
  5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

So sick!!
    Im looking forward to running the direct sound into my headrush FRFR and also a micd up cab sound into it too and blend (Headrush has 2 inputs)

6. Element0s

Element0s Low Fantasy/Black Denim

Very nice little demo from Lasse.

I'm a little torn. I want to downsize my live footprint a bit. Trying to decide between the Helix Stomp (I love the live tones I get from my Helix Floor) but this sounds great too and I like that I don't need an extra power amp to go through a cab.

lewis likes this.
  7. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Obviously just get both and run the Helix preamp models through the BluGuitar poweramp for more variety. ;)

Backsnack and lewis like this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Or do what im doing and get this + the HX Effects. That way its a hybrid of both :)

Backsnack likes this.
  9. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

I can't help you deciding based on tone, but let me tell you 1 thing: the Amp1 Iridium is damn fun to play. Everything just feels super responsive and tight.... and i'm just playing plugged into my computer using IRs. I bet the feeling straight into a real cab is even better. This unit is just damn fun to play.

mpexus, Backsnack and lewis like this.
  10. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

I'm on the same fence, sort of. I've been doing some research on Stomp vs. Effects.

The form factor of the Stomp is appealing, however, there a couple of limitations to keep in mind:
    1. Arguably, either of the Line6 devices we're talking about can become MIDI controllers for the Amp1. The Stomp only provides you with 2 effective footswitches to change patches and/or Amp1 channels, because the third switch is dedicated to engaging the tuner. You can argue that this would necessitate an additional pair of switches or a MIDI controller with more buttons to make integration between the Stomp and the Amp1 more seamless and not run out of switches too quickly.

2. If you want to use external pedals that are MIDi controllable along with the Stomp, it does not pass expression control through to external devices. If that's a feature you need, you'd have to invest in an additional MIDI AND expression controller separate from the Stomp.

Neither of these things are impossible or difficult to remedy, they just require more gear if you don't have them already. (Morningstar MC6 is an elegant choice to go along with the Stomp imho).

The HX Effects is the more cohesive choice and has more functionality overall, and has more DSP room (9 blocks vs. 6). One could argue that 4 channels on the Amp1 is "enough," and you probably wouldn't need the amp models in the Line6. Especially since you can utilize an EQ blockl on the HX Effects in the effects loop of the Amp1 and do fine tuning of the tone if you find that the Amp1's side tone controls aren't enough for tweaking. Or add an additional amp-voiced distortion pedal of your choice in one of the loops of the HX Effects, and voila, you now have a 5th channel added to your Amp1. ;)

Element0s and lewis like this.
  11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Just ordered the amp1 Iridium from Thomann :D

Backsnack, cwhitey2 and MASS DEFECT like this.
  12. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Let us know hos it goes when you get it. Im itching to pull the trigger, but im thinking it's impractical since i already have an ax8 and a 1000w poweramp.

lewis likes this.
  13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Will do :D

May put up a song playthrough vid of one my bands songs using it and just do double tracked unprocessed clip using the direct Analog cab sim

Genuinely wouldnt have picked it up had i not sold my Ax8 yesterday. Looking forward to building a new compact pedal rig around this little beast.

Wolfhorsky and Backsnack like this.
  14. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Remember how I mentioned "overkill" in my previous post? How do you guys think this setup would be for overkill? :D

[​IMG]

Run the RevivalDrive into the effects loop of the Amp1, and let that cover the more iconic vintage amp tones while the Amp1 IE picks up all the modern metal tones.

That would give you a MIDI switchable 6 distinct channels that can be dialed in a myriad of ways!

15. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

Hm, i still really enjoy playing the Iridium, but i can't get a decent recording sound out of it via the recording out. I always get this weird "background noise" that highly reminds me of an amp on low volume. I **assume** it's because there's no load connected. Sadly i don't have a loadbox or cab here. I need to get a cab somehow... but i certainly lack the gold right now. Aiming for a zilla fatboy atm.

When i listen to John Brownes mix here it has none of that "noise", neither has Olas demo.... so my natural instinct tells me that the problem is either between my ears, or the missing load. But that sound totally reminds me of that piss sound when an amp is barely on 0.1 volume.

lewis likes this.
  16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

How is your house electronics?
    My kemper used to give me all sorts of shit noise until i started using it via a Furman power conditioner and it cleared up all that noise and bad power in an instant.

Hopefully that helps here.
    Either way i have my Headrush monitors ready at my house to do some jamming Tuesday when it turns up.

Will try and grab some in the room clips :D

vendo likes this.
  17. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

This reminds me I need a power conditioner.

lewis and vendo like this.
  18. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

Yeah, i'm close to buying a simple furman power conditioner and a loadbox. I still have a few days to return the Iridium so i'd like to rule out some options on why my direct recording sound sucks.

lewis likes this.
  19. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I don't know what your local used market is like, but mine is pretty tiny and there's usually at least one or two cheap cabs to be gotten. Probably not as nice as a Zilla Fatboy but it'll put out some sound and you can always resell later when you upgrade. I grabbed a 112 for $100 for my living room rig and it's been great. A cheap used cab is likely to be cheaper and have more utility to you than a loadbox.

You could also take the Iridium to a local music shop to "test" it with some cabs.

Wolfhorsky and lewis like this.
  20. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

Well, i think i'd need a loadbox for the future anyways. Even if i get a new cab, simply because amp+cab is too loud for a small flat anyways.

Just ordered a simple two notes captor loadbox. Will test if it helps the sound or not.

lewis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.