BluGuitar Amp 1 Iridium "metal edition" is coming

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by laxu, Aug 19, 2019.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

It kinda reminds me of something between a 5150 and a XXX.

lewis likes this.
  3. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I feel that the analog cab sim on the direct out is mainly meant to be used at loud volume through a PA. I'm not a huge fan of it to headphones or studio monitors but it sounds alright overall.

The poweramp will start distorting after about 6 on the main master volume control. The OD channel master knob is meant only to balance against the clean tone so think of it as channel volume.

If it's like the Mercury Edition, it has a bright cap on the gain knob so the lower you turn it, the brighter and harsher it can sound. I was ready to send mine back until I figured I could turn on the low gain mode (hold boost when switching it on) and use MIDI to set custom gain ranges for each channel so I get to keep my gain in the area where the bright cap does not cause annoyances while not having excessive gain.

If the Iridium works like this, you might want to try instead turning gain to say 6 and then turning volume on your guitar down to compensate.

Also the way the EQ works is that the higher the knobs, the more modern it sounds. For metal tones I like running the knobs around 7 on the Mercury as it gets brighter and more aggressive.

lewis likes this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

The more i hear and read about this the more it makes sense for me to grab the HX Efx to pair with it and use midi for presets on the lot - incl cab IR Going Foh/frfr monitor

Backsnack likes this.
  5. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

Well, the built-in analog cab simulation doesn't sound useful... maybe it sounds vastly different running it into a PA or something. Then again I've never heard an analog cab simulation that actually sounded good. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Played the whole day with the Amp1 Iridium (and new strings...lol). Sounds good. I think you can get a lot of sounds out of it, if you play around a bit more. Like: i haven't even touched the low gain mode or the half-power one. Cranking up the master makes the sound go wild for sure and i have to re-adjust the EQ. Don't know if i like the nano-tube saturated sound or not.

But there's 1 thing i can say for sure: this thing is fun to play. It's really tight and reacts fast. For not even 800 quid? Good deal.

MASS DEFECT, Wolfhorsky and lewis like this.
  6. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The halfpower mode is mainly there so that you can run it into a cab with speakers that have lower power handling. For example the BluGuitar Nanocab and Fatcab are 60W power handling so you might want to turn half power mode on if you want to use it with them so you don't run into any issues.

The low gain mode was useful on the Mercury because it is by default dialed to work best with single coils so it has way too much gain if you use humbuckers. The only caveat with the low gain mode is that the clean channel's gain is also lowered so you can't get overdrive out of it. That's where the MIDI or Remote1 gain range settings come into play, I set the clean back to full gain available and the overdrive channels to about 70%.

7. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

The lack of more videos etc. makes me wonder though. The unit has been out for a bit already and I thought the web would be all over it.

lewis likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Yeah me too. What the!??!

I know im hyped so im wanting loads of vids but its really weird then isnt yet. Im checking youtube daily and its just the same ones from weeks/months back

Gmork likes this.
  9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Talking about a small company vs a big ass established company like H&K or Mesa. Not a lot not people know who Thomas Blug is unless they're like us and stalk SSO or TGP.

10. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

Yeah, most likely true. I wish i had a proper setup and backing tracking etc. available so I'd record something properly.

Been playing for 2 days now..i definitely missed playing guitar. This Amp1 Iridium is fun af to play. Playing djenty stuff is really cool due to the fast attack and awesome built-in noisegate. The noise-gate....is truly great.

I wanna try to get a Tesseract-like tone out of this...so: sizzly highs and solid mids. Thought about buying the Axe FX presets just for the IRs. But 20€ for 2 IRs...meh....

Backsnack and lewis like this.
  11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thats a great point. I bought the Misha Axe IR pack. Can use those with this to FOH right????

12. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

Yep, just gotta disable the internal cab sim and you should be good to go.

Regards

lewis likes this.
  13. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

So, day 2: i'm happy. really. this unit is gold. i'd still like to play this through a cab, but atm i'm happy with the setup i have. Always hard to play guitar in a flat. Iridium > computer > IR > a bit of EQ to compensate shit room sound > done.

Can't say a lot regarding mixing qualities of this thing, but playing it is a ton of fun. But as i mentioned already: it's reaaally honest to your input signal. So playing well would be handy. (i really want a 27" for that AEADEAD tuning i'm going for right now....).

Also: whoever turns the gain to 10 is a maniac. Holy shit that sounds bruuutal af. Not sure how muddy it gets though, i can't judge that atm.

But yeah...big :thumbs_up: from me. Well spent money.

lewis likes this.
  14. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

I contacted them a few months back trying to get them to send me one to demo lol. Uummm hellloooo I have 100 subz lolol
    All we can hope for as far as demos is that the big YouTubers get wind of it and make a video that will inevitably make it sound the same as all their other gear demos lol.
    Still excited for those vids to roll in though

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Backsnack and lewis like this.
  15. vendo

vendo SS.org Regular

Well, Ola and Mr. Browne made videos. It got me interested straight away! But mainly because i didn't have any gear... would def. like to hear other people's opinion on it.

16. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

This sounds immensely better than the previous clip.

lewis likes this.
  17. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

100 subscribers = influencer in the metal world :D

Worth a try anyways.

Gmork likes this.
  18. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

I have a feeling this thing would absolutely crush with a Harley Benton 2x12 cab w/ V30s.

lewis likes this.
  19. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Does it lose power if you plug through a 16ohm cab like most SS amps?
    I suppose 8ohm is default and gives you the whole 100w. But 16ohm shelves your output down 20%?

20. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

No

One of the main selling points of the amp is that the power output is consistent no matter the incoming voltage from the wall (up to 220v) and no matter the cab impedance.

Perhaps @laxu can confirm? He’s our resident expert.