BLIND TEST: Peavey 6505 vs Axe Fx III vs Helix

Guitarjon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I couldn't help it, I had to do another one of these ;)

This one features the mighty Peavey 6505 (formerly known as the 5150), the Fractal Audio Axe Fx III and the Line 6 Helix. Let's see if you guys can guess which one is which! Of course you can leave a guess here but I would recommend also leaving your guess in the YouTube comment section of the video as those are the guesses that I will count for the reveal, which will most likely be posted on saturday! This should be interesting and fun since this is a sound that many of us are very familiar with.... Here we go:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I can't tell the difference recorded, but I have my Helix split into my real 5150, then running a panama model into my PC for recording. If only I could get this cab an IR shot for it....the room sound and the recorded sound are sooooo close. Any good resources of how to shoot your own IR?

drb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They're all basically identical and I've never played a physical 6505 or any Fractal stuff but...

A) Real amp - Seemed the most different to the other two, sounded more clear to me? I find this nuances very hard to articulate in words.
B) Helix - Had this strange, extremely subtle difference to it that made me feel like it was the PV Panama model which I'm used to; almost like a grainy sound.
C) Fractal - Had that same strange difference as B but to a lesser extent, felt in between A and B where A has none of it. I've heard Fractal's modelling is better so deduced that difference was a modelling artefact and Fractal being 'better' means it would have less of that difference.

That's all based on assuming modellers would sound more alike than the real thing. Where it could be that one of the models just missed that subtle difference in the above and one is doing a more accurate representation, in which case: A) Helix B) Real C) Fractal. But I'll my original answer for now.

I love these blind tests, without fail I'm amazed every time how you get them so close.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
A had a mid presence different from B and C, B had quite a bit less top end than A and C. They’re all similar enough but still distinct from each other, especially B.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Honestly though can't everyone at least agree here that all 3 were PERFECTLY usable and about as 5150/6505 as you can get? In my experience, there is this much difference between ACTUAL 6505's built next to each other.

jarledge

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
in the mix i couldn't really tell much difference between them. isolated i could hear differences but I am not 100% sure which is which. I do feel like B sounded the most organic in that it has a little fatter low/low mid sound that I feel like a modeler might miss out on. A and C both seemed to sound a little more thin in the mids and maybe more presence factored in which is why I think they are the modelers. I am going to say A is the helix, B the real amp, C the Axe Fx III.

Again, they are all really close and I'd be happy to have any of them. As said before I think we have to appreciate how far modeling tech has come.

Guitarjon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in everybody! The results are VERY interesting this time and I was not expecting this tbh. The results will be revealed saturday so stay tuned for that. I'm leaving town for a few days so I can't finish the reveal until then. I also want to give people some more time to give their guesses before the reveal is out. It's just more fun that way! So keep the guesses coming! :)

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly I’m really over these types of comparisons these days. I did watch the video out of respect for Jon whose channel I really enjoy and who seems super cool.

Although I did watch the whole video, it quickly reaffirmed what I was pretty sure of going in:
A sounds great.
B sounds great.
C sounds great.

After that, any small differences are inconsequential and insignificant to my ear.

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly I’m really over these types of comparisons these days. I did watch the video out of respect for Jon whose channel I really enjoy and who seems super cool.

Although I did watch the whole video, it quickly reaffirmed what I was pretty sure of going in:
A sounds great.
B sounds great.
C sounds great.

After that, any small differences are inconsequential and insignificant to my ear.
Exactly. And that's why I'm more than happy with my PODGo. Things nowadays sound so close it really doesn't matter anymore. And that's killer.

Masoo2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just a guess based off of some slight differences in the mid/high end

A) Axe FX
B) Helix
C) Real

Favorite to Least: A > C > B

Something is off about B for me, grainy as mentioned above is a good way to put it. C has more presence than the others but in a way that I personally cannot discern any digital artifacts.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
HX Stomp has been great for me. Scratches that 6505 and Dual Rec itch. Surprisingly the Dual Rec makes a better rock amp, who knew. And going cranked thru on el34 power section on 5w mode they get really greasy.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
B sounds the most "different" to my ear, so I'm guessing that one is the Helix.

A and C are really, really close. Based on absolutely nothing, my guess that A is the Fractal and C is the amp.

All 3 tones are great. At least among the "top" modelers, most of the "VS" debate comes down to size and input/output/routing options rather than the core tones themselves IMO

mongey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

A sounds great.
B sounds great.
C sounds great.

Agreed. Think there have been more than enough of these videos to establish that all the current gear sounds great and it’s a mix Of a work flow choice , and pure
Personal preference on what method to choose. it’s like choosing a football team
To follow.

And that’s not out to diss Jon who does high quality videos. It’s a general diss on all us guitarists who need to just get over it.