Blind Guardian watched Evangelion (oh and is releasing a new album)

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah listen to Lost in the Twilight Hall and then these new songs. Tales has an energy that these songs completely lack.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just wanted thrash-influenced speed/power metal and that's what I got. It doesn't have to break barriers. I'm satisfied so far. :lol:

nickgray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So, as half of the record is out, I think this is probably going to be worse than Beyond The Red Mirror,

Yeah, I'd argue that Beyond the Red Mirror was the best album since A Night at the Opera, though of course neither compares to their classic albums.

I also want to point out that Charlie Bauerfriend as a producer is killing it, in the worse meaning

100% agreed. The new album's production doesn't seem to be too bad though, but still has that 2000s metal vibe.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
i m talking about the general direction and orchestration/style. It s much closer to Tales than their latest symphonic stuff

First time to listening to any of the new material, "Blood of the Elves" feels like Tales/Somewhere Far Beyond mixed with A night at the Opera. A step away from their symphonic stuff and back towards their trashy speed metal sound. Mix is a little weak but Nuclear Blast constantly screw up and upload inferior sounding videos. Secrets of the American Gods sounds much better when compared. Getting a Opera/A twist in the Myth vibe from it.
Both songs are good but not jumping to re-listen to them.

Soulforged from A Night At The Opera is about Raistlin Majere from the Dragonlance DnD setting

I'm not familiar with Dragonlance but I do love that song. I see on the wiki they have a song about The King Killer Chronicles. Looking forward to that one.

OmegaSlayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
First time to listening to any of the new material, "Blood of the Elves" feels like Tales/Somewhere Far Beyond mixed with A night at the Opera. A step away from their symphonic stuff and back towards their trashy speed metal sound. Mix is a little weak but Nuclear Blast constantly screw up and upload inferior sounding videos. Secrets of the American Gods sounds much better when compared. Getting a Opera/A twist in the Myth vibe from it.
Both songs are good but not jumping to re-listen to them.

I'm not familiar with Dragonlance but I do love that song. I see on the wiki they have a song about The King Killer Chronicles. Looking forward to that one.
The trashy speed sound doesn't feel that "genuine" to me, that's all, and it severy lacks Thomen Stauch punch

Soulforged and Battlefield (which is a song I love anyway) mark the start of the downfall of BG
Those choruses that are too happy (too Dorian really) and don't fit BG's overall vibe, there are those "openings" into moods that remind me some 70s music (Jethro Tull, Eloy, Uriah Heep) that are not bad per se, just feel a bit out of contex and somehow anti-climatic...again, it's something that I feel "constructed" and not spontaneous

BG aren't hyper skilled instrument wise, nor super proficient in theory and often I have this feeling that they try to chew more than they can, often with swinging results

I have a deep emotional attachment to BG, I switched the style I played with my band after listening to Banish From Sanctuary, they have been the first band I've seen live, they have been my favourite band for the longest time and are one of the bands I'll keep purchasing their records blindly, so I'm very severe with them

I feel they have lost their track, especially after Thomen's departure...they constantly need 6 years to release records that are basically old ideas rehashed and rechewed without the spirit they had 25 years ago

Many of you are happy to listen to speed stuff, I can tell you that the song from them I liked more from Beyond The Red Mirror are The Throne, Prophecies and Distant Memories...I prefer if they do mid tempo with great melodic ideas than see them trying to push the pedal to the metal and sound obnoxious

OmegaSlayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I watched the "whole" concert, but I skipped every lead, everytime wishing that all wah wahs of the worlds would blow up at the same time
It's literally atrocious to my here, it's terminal Kirk Hammet syndrome

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah it's really bad haha. I can't stand it, I also need to fast forward through the leads. That setlist is pretty good though, but actually I listened to a song or two and then just put on Tokyo Tales instead. The energy there is on a different level. Maybe they should ditch the click live or something.

OmegaSlayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah it's really bad haha. I can't stand it, I also need to fast forward through the leads. That setlist is pretty good though, but actually I listened to a song or two and then just put on Tokyo Tales instead. The energy there is on a different level. Maybe they should ditch the click live or something.
I saw them in 1995, Imaginations Tour, there were around 400 people in the club, yet they still used acoustic for Time What Is Time intro, no wah wah abuse, no click at the time and they were flawless and ultra tight
Then I saw them at the NIME tour and they were immense
Then after Thomen left, part of the magic went away

I think very few realize how much Ingo Switchenberg first and Thomen Stauch revolutionized the power metal drumming

Also, as I had way to spend some time with them when they weren't huge, I can say that Thomen was a very likeable laid back guy, funny, kind with the fans, always with a smile
He left a big blank spot in my heart when I think of BG

OmegaSlayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Another live, another wah cringefest
The only cool thing left in BG is Marcus that becomes more and more Geralt of Rivia

pahulkster

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd be really happy to see that performance live minus the OCD inducing background image