Blind Guardian watched Evangelion (oh and is releasing a new album)

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
281131688_551483346344372_4011965742705931621_n.jpg

1. Deliver Us from Evil 5:22
2. Damnation 5:21
3. Secrets of the American Gods 7:29
4. Violent Shadows 4:18
5. Life Beyond the Spheres 6:03
6. Architects of Doom 6:21
7. Let It Be No More 4:49
8. Blood of the Elves 4:38
9. Destiny 6:47

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Wow, exciting!

Hmm... Blood of the Elves? Is LotRs leaking??

The Mirror

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wow, exciting!

Hmm... Blood of the Elves? Is LotRs leaking??

Blood of Elves is the first of The Witcher novels and a Witcher-themed song is highly due for Guardian. Rather weird that they never had one in fact, given that the band reads every fantasy series in existence.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
7 years since they released their last studio album as a band. I haven’t checked out any of the singles so I can hear the album all at once.

A witcher somg is overdue. AFAIK they’ve never done a DND song(Drizzt, Elminster etc), a Harry Potter song, Kingkiller Chronicles, Stormlight or Warhammer fantasy. Endless inspiration for songs but at this stage in their career I can’t imagine how difficult it is to write music without unknowingly using older melodies and lyrics.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
7 years since they released their last studio album as a band. I haven’t checked out any of the singles so I can hear the album all at once.

A witcher somg is overdue. AFAIK they’ve never done a DND song(Drizzt, Elminster etc), a Harry Potter song, Kingkiller Chronicles, Stormlight or Warhammer fantasy. Endless inspiration for songs but at this stage in their career I can’t imagine how difficult it is to write music without unknowingly using older melodies and lyrics.
I checked out bits and pieces and I dug the songwriting, but I see why people bitched about the production.

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Actually I think that's from a Kickstarter I backed several years ago, I have the physical book and stuff at my apartment :lol:

Yup, found it pretty quickly: https://www.angelarium.net/grigori#/gadreel-angel-of-war/
I thought this must be a James Jean illustration. Cool to see it is not and thanks for tipping us off to some other cool artists!
Looks like the new Fallujah cover is in there as well :D

Reactions: MFB

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hope they do something unusually heavy.

They just did an orchestral album right? You'd think now they could move on to some proper metal, no?

Zado

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hope they do something unusually heavy.
I guess those times are long gone. I used to love them, I mean it's the band that led me into metal and I still love listening to their classics, but while I was fine when they turned from a speed metal band into a power metal act, I just got bored when everything became too prog metal wannabe and guitar works and riffs got less important than the whole Opera thing.

And yeah, it's funny that their orchestral album is getting real now, after something like 3 whole life spans ( or better, Half Life?) and me totally losing interest in the whole genre.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hm yeah I kinda find myself not really caring either way if I'm honest...

Listening to the singles it sounds like them and all but it's just like meh. It feels formulaic at this point I guess.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Song's great. Bitchin Flying V too.

Am I missing something, that looks like every other black Gibson flying V? Or is this just GAS hitting at the right time? :lol:

edit: ah, couldn't tell from the lighting but I guess it is a mirror pickguard so I guess it's slightly different.

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
I'm INCREDIBLY excited for this. I love the direction modern Guardian has been going in (Beyond the Red Mirror, despite its flaws, is genuinely my favorite album EVER) and I keep saying that if Blind Guardian manages to keep up the pace and release even just one more great album, they'll likely replace Iron Maiden as my all-time favorite band.

I've loved all the tracks they've put out for the new album so far, so it seems as though that particular coup may soon come to pass.

pahulkster

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hate the Nuclear Blast store but I ordered the box set anyway

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Man, that video looks so low budget it hurts :lol:

Right?

I wish bands would put at least some effort into videos. They can be a great opportunity to do something cool.

Tell me a story, take me somewhere interesting. Do *something* other than the band miming in a bland location.

I suppose stuff like this is just to have something to put on youtube but jeez, come on...

OmegaSlayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Soulforged from A Night At The Opera is about Raistlin Majere from the Dragonlance DnD setting

A band I've been following from Tales From The Twilight World, their peak is Imaginations From The Other Side, after that they went downhill
They still made some good songs here and there, but on a whole, they opened their sound to gaudy solutions that don't really fit them, imho

Also, can't stand André Olbrich and his wah-wah anymore; at first it was a subtle expression, but now it's worsER than Kirk Hammet and live is atrocious, it covers EVERYTHING

I also want to point out that Charlie Bauerfriend as a producer is killing it, in the worse meaning, his records sound terrible and it's not helping BG, which are a killer very tight band, but the recording doesn't make them justice

About these 4 new songs
Didn't like neither Violent Shadows nor Deliver Us From Evil
Appreciated Secrets Of The American Gods
I think Blood Of The Elves has a killer chorus, but the rest of the song is so bland, that the chorus alone doesn't save it

So, as half of the record is out, I think this is probably going to be worse than Beyond The Red Mirror, as The Holy Grail, which doesn't stand between my BG's favourite songs, not even in the album it is in, is way superior than what I Have heard so far

Long rant, but BG are a "piece of heart" for me

mehegama

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I foresee gazillions of violins, church choir,and cheesy stuff.
basically, so far all the songs go to the opposite direction.. they sound more like tales from the twilight world