Blending real tube amps with amp sims within the fractal ax8 / fm3

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by teamSKDM, Oct 23, 2020.

1. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

hey guys ever since stumbling across this video I want to know if anyone else has done anything similar as this is the only example I can find of anyone blending a tube amp with a simulated amp routed into the fractal unit itself

im interested in purchasing a dover da20 and pairing it with a fractal fm3 where I would then use a torpedo captor and route it into the fm3 to blend the da20 with a simulated rectifier to cover the extra low end that these mini heads can lack. I suspect the results will end in the da20 sounding more like a full 100 watt amp but thats for future testing.

my only concern is phasing issues or anything similar , has anyone experienced anything negative while doing something like this? were the results better or worse than the single inserted tube amp or fractal sim ?

2. broangiel

broangiel SS.org Regular

I feel like, if you're going the load box route, you'd probably have no trouble mixing an IR that can provide plenty of low-end *without* having to go through the complication of routing and mixing through an Axe.

To answer your questions, I've not done the load box approach, but I have hooked my Axe and an amp up in such a way that a change of scenes either had my bypassing the amp or using the amp in 4CM. I watched this video a long time ago, but I vaguely recall getting that idea from Ryan at PSS.

3. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

actually with or without blending the amp sim, I still plan to run the tube amp inserted into the fractal followed by IRs meshuggah style. I would prefer to use the fractal as intended and take advantage of its routing with its amp block being replaced by a real tube amp vs using the amp with a cab and running 4 cable method which is a much more limiting set up.

4. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

For your use case it's just an overly complicated setup. You could use the 200+ amp models in Fractal units and just pick one that delivers the tone you want without ever bringing the tube amp into the equation.

When running into IRs, I don't feel tube amp -> loadbox or top tier modeler sound or perform any different.

I just built a massively crushing tone a few days ago using Helix Native and ML Sound Labs IRs. PRS Archon model -> Mesa 5-band EQ -> Diezel and Mesa 4x12 cab IRs panned left and right. It was just very simple to do and the amp sim and EQ options let me dial the right tone and feel for it.

5. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

ive concluded that in this experiement if the stock amps in the fm3 are more than enough or indistiunguishable ill just return the tube amp. but im also not gonna assume the results either. the fractall just acts as a single pedalboard with IR loader which a traditional pedalboard setup with a seperate IR loader would cost the same or more money. but running 4 cable would limit to using only the amps channels when this setup lets you use your tube amp AND all your fractal amps and fractal patches and has no limitations or cons whatsoever outside over complication (which to me an amp a loadboax and tiny fractal floor unit run into a laney FRFR 2x12 isnt complicated at all the only thing foreign in the setup is the loadbox , fractal gets used as you would traditionally use it since the tube amp takes place of an amp block)

and then of course I plan on seeing how any of this stacks up against my fortin NTS plugin with apollo twin because I also have that dialed in absolutely KILLER sounds like a real amp to me so it might just invalidate everything above but wont know personally until I have all three to compare at once.