Blatant Discrimination in the Military?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hemi-Powered Drone, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Hemi-Powered Drone

Hemi-Powered Drone Dragonblade629

Am I seeing things wrong, or is the military blatantly discriminating against those who have ADHD? According to the Captain in charge of the Air Force ROTC at St. Joseph's University, I can't be taking medication for at least two years and I can't show signs of ADHD when I take the DoD Medical Examination. Am I the only one that sees something wrong with that? What happened to the Americans With Disabilities Act?

I mean, I could totally understand not being able to be a pilot in direct combat but for an Engineering position I really see no problem if I can manage it with a medication. I also fail to see what is wrong if I have the disorder managed with a medication.

I'm fairly pissed about this, but worse is that there is nothing I can do about it. I mean, I could sue, but I don't have the funds to afford a civil rights attorney, especially if my opponent is the government.

2. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

I could not even join for my medical reasons, and I am VERY surprised they let you in the military with ADHD. It is not discrimination but medical issues are a liability for the military.

3. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

As much as it sucks you want to serve, but cannot, a lot of folks are denied in order to protect others, not themselves. Let's say you get in a situation and lose / run out of medication. Are you the one to make the call to increase the risk of others as you may not function properly?

That is why they filter based on medical condition, and physical ability. You need to be reliable. PERIOD. If you need medication to deal with your illness, you may come into situations where you prove unreliable.

I had a friend denied service as he couldn't hear a certain, apparently important frequency. Another as his eye sight was too poor. If you really want to serve your country, I am sure there are other ways that will make themselves available to you.

4. Hemi-Powered Drone

Hemi-Powered Drone Dragonblade629

I can understand with some medical conditions it can be a liability, but ADHD is one of those are easily manageable and can actually benefit from a structured military environment as well as allowing the person to work better under extreme pressure. And like I said in the OP, if it's controlled with a medication, why is it an issue?

5. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

Even is you are in an environment like that you need to keep in mind that the military also views each and every soldier as that, a soldier. If you are just being an engineer you may be asked to go to war and fight for your country if the times comes. If you are in a combat zone, what is going to happen if you cannot get your medication?

6. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

It's the Military, man, and we have a Democrat in office...of course they're going to be extremely selective.

To dodge some flaming, it true: Republican in office - Military increase. Democrat in office - Military decrease.

The military is ALLOWED to be selective. Less than 1% of the American public serves, simply because it's supposed to be difficult to get in. It's not for everybody, and isn't supposed to be.

Also: If you're REALLY wanting to get in, ignore the ROTC idiots. Go straight to a recruiter, and ask them. If you're REALLY wanting to serve, Enlist. If you only want to serve as an Officer, in only the field you envision, more power to ya...but don't get upset if they tell you 'NO!'.

7. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

They need to be able to see you can function without your medication. If there is a night and day difference between how you function on your medication versus how you function off of it you become a potential liability in a combat situation and put other soldiers in grave danger.

8. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

You're thinking that we're whatever our job is first instead of being a soldier. doesn't work that way bro. We're soldiers first who's job's are to go to war and fight, and everything else second.

You can make the arguement that it can be controlled with medicine... When I was deployed there was no pharmacy, or hospital on my base. You wouldn't have been able to have your meds and probably would've got your ass kicked for driving the rest of us crazy.

It's nothing personal against you. The military just has standards that you either have to meet or you can't be in.

If you want in get off the meds get it under control and join.

9. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Am I the only one who noticed that it went from ADHD being a disability, and therefore protected and they had to take him in spite of it, to it not being a disability, and therefore not needing precautions and they should take him in spite of it?

It's such a glaringly obvious 180 degree turn, but I think I'm the first one to comment on it....

10. Thrashmanzac

Thrashmanzac plays in 69/42

i dont want to offend you man, but if i was serving in the army, i would not want the guy standing next to me with a rifle, or giving me orders to have adhd, or any other health/mental health issue for that matter. a friend of mine had to have a wart removed from his hand to join the army.

11. Jeggs

Jeggs Well-Known Member

That dude totally deserves the purple heart, what a sacrifice!

12. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

It's already been covered, but the military reserves the right to lawfully discriminate (ie too old to join, or disqualifying disabilities). Others have said it well in this thread: disibility or not, the DoD percieves ADHD/ADD as a factor which makes a potential member of the armed forces less reliable for whatever reason. It's also worth noting that it's not necessarily one being diagnosed with ADHD that disqualifies someone, but having been medicated for it. I myself was diagnosed with ADHD when I was younger, but I was never medicated for it so there wasn't a problem (there were other factors as well).

Has anyone actually gone through the DoD document listing the disqualifiers? There's some crazy stuff in there, like how males must have both testicles. :lol:

Edit: it's also worth noting that many disqualifiers can be waived. There's a process that you'd have to go through, but I don't think you're completely helpless.

13. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

OP why are you listening to a ROTC benchwarmer and a bunch of sea lawyers? :lol:

If you really want to join go down and talk to a couple recruiters. And not just one... go talk to recruiters from every branch. Do not sign anything right away. Take some time to rethink your plan (you will be committing the next 8 years of your life in some fashion) so don't rush into it. Remember, recruiters are SALESMAN. So take their info and discuss it with some prior servive members to see what's true or not.

[e.g. Marine recruiters used to tell enlistees that if you weren't sure what you wanted then just go open contract and you can decide later. Nope... your ass was a cook.]

And people (especially recruiters) will tell you they all have the same recruiting regulations and benefits etc... not true.

e.g. the pay is not the same. Base pay - yes. But, everything from bonuses, to deployment money, to college reimbursement is different. Also quality of life (barracks, housing, chow halls, PX/MCX, etc) and promotion rates are very different.

Lastly, different branches have different waivers. The USMC regularly has ASVAB waivers (AKA IQ waivers... insert comment here lol). I have seen guys get in with a 25 on AFQT test and get preferential jobs! But, this does not happen in USAF. In the Navy you actually have to pass a test for your MOS, you can't just suck at your job and get by.

14. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

The AF is very selective as far as who gets in. It's very competitive for enlistees, even more so for officers. You may find it harder to get a waiver for the AF than you would for another branch because of that.

15. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

Where there's a wavier, there's a way!

16. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

They seem to regularly rotate what they discriminate against... Maybe it's to show that they hate indiscriminantly...? :lol:

It's a good thing, right? :ugh:

17. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

Oddly enough, I served with a guy that only had one ball. Was born that way. I never bothered to care if that was a disqualifier or not, since he was pretty much a waste of flesh anyways, but I'm guessing he got a wavier for it.

...god...he was a crappy soldier :lol:

18. highlordmugfug

highlordmugfug themuthaphukkindeath

Because he couldn't nut up.

19. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

Is ADHD that big a deal? For infantry I can't see it being huge liability like having multiple personalities or something else that severely alters your consciousness.

20. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I don't think it's as much of a 180 as you think. He never stated that it wasn't a disability, he said it was a manageable disability, which, at least in the context of regular civilian life, is generally true.

In the military, that might be another story. Doing a quick search, it's obviously complicated, but nothing I've found suggests that it's impossible.