Blackouts - Routing/Install Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by djpharoah, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Flaggschiff

Flaggschiff Member

Only in depth or also in width? Did you take any pics during installation?

2. trashed

trashed SS.org Regular

anyone could tell me what needs to be done with the 5way switch when installing two blackouts in an RG7321? do I need to order a 3way switch, and if so, how could it fit into the 5way slot? or is it possible to wire it that position 1,2 activates neck, 3 - middle - 4,5 brigde ? also im not planning to use the tone pot, so it doesnt matter if there's no connection to it.

thanks.

3. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

You can buy a 3-way switch in Ibanez-style.. Looks the same as the 5 way, but its only got 3 ways.

4. trashed

trashed SS.org Regular

5. Flaggschiff

Flaggschiff Member

Jap, works! Bought the same.

6. brutalslam

brutalslam SLAMZ

Anyone installed the phase 1's in an Agile 727, yet? My Agile has the cepheus passives.

I seen one guy in here that installed them in his Agile Hornet 7, but I'm not sure if that's the same.

Also with the Agile, would I need a new jack?

7. 7StringedBeast

7StringedBeast Random Fingers

Anyone ever tried the 18v mod with the Blackouts?

8. legacy5k

legacy5k SS.org Regular

^^^ This really needs to be changed, it is false information. (and screwed me over)

These do not fit into the DC727 at all. The width is too narrow by a very slight amount. It is actually true that the lower ear needs additional routing too. As far as the depth goes, I'm not yet sure if the route is deep enough as I haven't completed the install yet... I am bringing my guitar to a guy next week to get the job done.

9. zap514

zap514 Member

Hi!

I'm planing on getting these pickups for my Ibanez Apex 2, does anybody here have experience with installing blackouts in that guitar? Should i get the Phase 1 or 2? I don't really understand what the difference is. the phase 2 looks wider and I would prefer that one if it fits.

10. 22km Tombstone

22km Tombstone Pro Apologizer

Your guitar is routed for normal DiMarzio pups, so you should go with the Phase 1 housings or you'll have to route the larger mounting holes.

11. geohuete

geohuete Member

i just got the phase 1 blackouts for my 7321. the dimension for the pups are fine but the jack is way too big how should i widen it on the guitar?
    also the image seymour duncan has for the fender 3 blade switch is different from the one i ordered, its based off a tele so im confused as to where i would connect anything. lastly, what do the pickups sit on? the wires? cuz it didnt come with any springs or anything. sorry again, ive never used active pups in my life lol

12. Stoker

Stoker Member

Hey guys!

Is it possible to install passive PUs in a RG1527 that has been routed for Blackouts?
    I'm thinking of buying one and want to have the option in case I don't like the actives...

Thanks in advance!

13. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis SS.org Regular

no problems at all with my douglas hadron 727. phase 1,

14. Joe Harvatt

Joe Harvatt SS.org Regular

So how did so many of you learn how to route? I think I'm going to take the easier option and get another passive pickup instead of routing my guitar.

15. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis SS.org Regular

Joe you should be fine with the phase 1s if its too tight you just touch up the inside of the pickup cavity, I would start with a dremel before going to a router for phase 1s.

16. Sarutobi_Armstrong

Sarutobi_Armstrong New Member

Right , I'm really new to this forum but so bare with me, Ive settled on the idea of purchasing a new Ibanez RGA7 and not only will it be my first 7 string guitar it will also be the first guitar I've ever had that houses an active pickup set up. I did originally want something more custom looking/ customized but to fill that void i want to swap out the stock actives with a set of Seymour Duncan Phase Two Blackouts. I've never owned a set but I've heard them in many music shops and I like the output and tone they give. My worry is having to re-wire my guitar because I have never been through this process before, and quite frankly its a bit scary especially because the guitar will be brand new. Ive seen many different diagrams on the internet but i just want to know how hard this process is and what sort of issues people on here have encountered when doing a similar process

Any hints/ tips would be much appreciated

17. geoffshreds

geoffshreds SS.org Regular

hey guys. i just got done wiring phase I blackouts to my rg7321. they fit in fine with no wood work, i just had to cut the rubber "stoppers" "supports", whatever you want to call them, in half for the pickups to rest low enough in the pickup cavities. however, i did have to enlarge the holes for the volume/tone pots to fit. i drilled them with a 3/8 drill bit..just slightly larger than the stock holes. it worked out fine drilling the holes starting from finish side into the cavity, with minimal chipping to the finish. the washers were enough to cover the chipping. (not even noticeable with the knobs on) i swapped out a fender style 3 way blade switch for the stock 5 way. my only question regards inconsistencies with seymour duncan's wiring diagrams... if you notice on the given Blackouts diagram here http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/products/electric/humbuckers/501020-110_rv1.pdf
    it says to connect the neck to the 2nd tab of the switch, and the bridge to the 7th tab of the switch...but when looking at their 3 way switch translation diagram here
    Wiring Diagram
    it says to connect the BRIDGE to the 2nd tab, and NECK to the 7th tab.
    so can anyone tell me which is actually correct? i wired mine according to the 2nd diagram with the bridge at 2, and the neck at 7, as that seemed to make more sense. everything sounds fine to me. my only problem is that i get no sound out the middle position. but switching from bridge to neck works just fine. i just don't see how they could have these kind of inconsistencies without more people noticing.

18. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

so sorry if this has been answered but there's no routing required for EMG-->blackout swap? I would rather put in Passives but from what I understand an active to passive transition is a pain.

19. MistaSnowman

MistaSnowman Play It LOUD!!!

In about 99% of these type of swaps, no further routing is required.

20. PagingDrBreakdown

PagingDrBreakdown Member

Has anyone ever swapped the stock EMG pickups in a Schecter Damien Platinum 7 for Phase II Blackouts? Just wondering if any extra work was needed. I could be getting bad info here, but one of my local guitar techs mentioned needing to route an extra 1/4" or so deeper on this guitar for the pickups to not be so close to the strings.