Blackouts - Routing/Install Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by djpharoah, Mar 11, 2008.

1. lowbass5

lowbass5 Member

Attached Files:

• SD.jpg
      SD.jpg
      File size:
      192.4 KB
      Views:
  2. lowbass5

lowbass5 Member

The height of the pickup was to big...i had to route a little bit.
    easy to do..
    i made some pictures with my mobile phone..

Attached Files:

3. blacksheep

blacksheep SS.org Regular

Just adding another one to the main list...

The AHB-1 6 string set were a direct drop-in for my Bronze Warlock.

No routing required, but the control cavity is pretty tight with the 9-volt in there now. Didn't have enough room to fit a battery box over top of the cavity cover though.

4. shanejohnson02

shanejohnson02 Hammer of the Gods

Just ordered a set for my RGA7. It comes with EMG-style pickups, and from what I can see the other ibanez axes that use similar housings retrofit with little to no issues.

I'll update when I get them.

UPDATE: They dropped right in! I had to replace the switch (because the stock one is crappy), and discovered the supplied jack doesn't fit perfectly in the hole. Not a big deal though, the stock jack is stereo and works just fine.

The only *real* work was to remove the bottom of the stock battery box, since it was designed to hold 2 AA's.

5. cronux

cronux SS.org Regular

I've ordered a SD Blackout Phase II 4 my Jackson COW 7. it should arrive today, so I'll install it over the weekend, I'll try to post pics after I install it.

A friend of mine has a Jackson COW 7 and says that the Phase II is the perfect replacement for the 707, just take the strings off, unwind the screws, plug out the 707, plug in the SD and repeat the process and that should be it...

Knowing that I'm a bit clumsy, hope that I won't f*** up the process :agreed:

6. Kapee

Kapee ss.org Master

I ordered blackout for my RGA7. Its going in bridge position. Its arriving this week, maby wednesday or tomorrow :hbang:!

How i should go with the stock neck that im not going to change?

7. audibleE

audibleE SS.org Regular

I'm one of the overly excited and purchased BK's for my RG7420. I take out the electronics, remove the pups and set in the Bk's.

"Hey wait a minute!!! These are really high." Then... search the forums... I'm a knucklehead. RG7420 needs routing or neck shims.

Son of a....

Anyway, I'm good with tools and just recently bought a Dremel Router attachment that I used on another guitar. So yay! Tonight I'll be doing some routing.

Also, I thought I'd have to route the input jack, but the stock Ibby cylinder 1/4" is already stereo, you just have to know how to wire it. Currently it's wired mono.

Oh and the vol. and tone holes need widening because the supplied BK pots are bigger. Nothing a pen or pencil wrapped in medium grit sand paper can't fix.

8. scott678

scott678 Active Member

has anybody tried blackouts in a dean vendetta? I'm thinking about it if there are no routing issues.

9. Michael T

Michael T Sea Turtles mate Contributor

I Had to Dremel out about 1/4" in BOTH an Ibanez 7620 & S7420 to fit Blackouts in. Hope this helps someone, wish I'd know ahead of time.
    :wallbash:

10. djbold

djbold New Member

so the phase 2s are the ones that would fit in a schecter c 7?

11. Facebones

Facebones SS.org Regular

I need some help!:scream: I bought phase II Blackouts for my incoming Washburn WG587. Does anyone know if they will fit? I was a little late on the finding out that they might not..:wallbash: Any help is greatly appreciated!!!:bowdown:

12. SykoVendetta

SykoVendetta New Member

HEy dude - i did the same thing. I cut the bottom of the battery box off, but havent installed it yet - im thinking just gluing it to the giutar ? what did you do?
    ALso I have found the blackouts are very noisy - my wiring followed the provided specs . . . any one else found this? OR do I just need to buy a noise suppressor?

13. izdashit

izdashit Well-Known Member

Question guys...

Would I have to do additional routing on my XPT707 if I install phase 1's on it? Any comments from those who have done it on theirs?

Your help would be very much appreciated as I ordered a set and would better be preapred. TIA! :D

14. spudler_t

spudler_t SS.org Regular

HI all, I just recently Installed a set of Phase II Blackouts in my 2006 RG 7321 ( I found these new at such a smoking deal I was more then happy to do some routing to fit them in). I had recently purchased a Dremel 7300 Cordless so I spent another $18 purchased the Cutting Guide attachment 565-02 and it was amazing how easy it was to open the PU cavity enough to fit the Phase II PU's in.
    I had previously removed the foam pieces Ibanez uses under the PU's and installed springs like those found on single middle PU's and since I had hot glued them in place as I hate trying to align PU's,Springs,Screws etc I found I had to open up the mounting hole about a 32nd maybe to allow PU to slide freely on screw when lowering or raising.
    My Guitar actually does not have the PU Rings so I had to be even more precise when routing as any mistake I made wouldnt be hiden by PU ring, Which was another benefit to the Ease of use with the cutting guide.
    Suposedly according to dremel my model of Dremel is not listed as compatable with the cutting guide but I found it attaches perfectly.
    The way I did my routing and measuring was I placed the Blackout in position on the body took a Sharpie ultra fine point and traced outline of the outline fo the PU in specific areas where I had to remove material and used that as a guide line, I found I had to do some minor fine tuning to get the PU to slide in and out smoothly but I could not of been happier with the ease of use and the fact you can barely tell I had to do any routing at all.
    The only real sign is that their is still about 1/16th of the tab still visable from the factory Ibanez Routing.
    If I had not just recently did a custom finish on the body I would of filled in that area and made the PU cavity about a 16th-32nd larger then the PU.
    I will see if I can find the Video and pics I took documenting the modification and install.

15. 7StringedBeast

7StringedBeast Random Fingers

Mine aren't noisy at all, doesn't matter if I am playing high-gain stuff or not.

16. 7StringedBeast

7StringedBeast Random Fingers

Leave it as it is and wire it straight to the pickup switch...this way you will still be able to use it, BUT you will only have volume/tone controls for the bridge pickup.

17. FarBeyondMetal

FarBeyondMetal SS.org Regular

My phase 1 b-outs dropped right into my 7321 no problems...they sound fucking killer and are not noisy at all!

18. Flaggschiff

Flaggschiff Member

hey dudes,

does anyone know, if those blackouts fit properly into the new ibanez rgd 7320z (european model), including 25k poti and height of pups?
    i am still concerned about setting up an order in the us cause they are not really available in germany.

best regards

19. Adamosity

Adamosity New Member

I'm thinking of getting a new 7string as i just sold my Jim root telecaster. so i was looking at a few options and i think I might just get the Ibanez s7420.

every guitar that i have ever had I've put EMG's in it or it's came with EMG's but because i am now looking at the s7420, i was thinking of putting in Seymour Duncan Blackouts ... now, should i get Phase I ... or Phase II pickups, I can clearly see that the Phase I pickups are smaller, does anyone know if this effects sound ? or if these will fit better (dont mind routing)

... and would you recommend the SD's over the EMG's ?

cheers.

20. murakami

murakami Banned

you should update the first post with rgd2127z.

installed blackouts 7 phase 1. have to dremel A LOT.