Blackouts - Routing/Install Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by djpharoah, Mar 11, 2008.

1. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

I put a blackout in my LTD SC-607B, easy install replacing the awful 81-7s, huge improvement. djenty as hell.
    [​IMG]

2. anibal

anibal Member

Hi there,

Ive searching a lot on this forum but i still dont have the answer to my question. I got for a year a Schecter Hellraiser c-7 & i just received my new Blackout humbucker. I did the easy quick installation using the plug & play option, not wiring the cable & not changing pots or solding anything. My big surprise, my guitar sound is still poor as it was with the EMG 707. When my other guitar that also have a blackout ( a 6 string one) sound very good !

Do i really need to change the pots for the blackout on my schecter ? is this going to improve the sound ?

The guitar sound like there is a lack of gain/distortion on it.

Changing only one pot would help ?

Help !

cheers
    Anibal

3. st2012

st2012 Texas CEO / RHLC

You shouldnt have to change the pots but if it sounded like it was wired poorly before then it will still sound that way. Any loose connections in the soldering job?

4. B Lopez

B Lopez Vescere bracis meis.

Try changing your battery, especially since you've been using it for a year.

5. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil \m not jesus land m/

cool thread bro, I wish I knew If Blackouts fit in my M307 :(

6. Genocyber

Genocyber SS.org Regular

just installed a set of blackouts into my RG1527... they need 4-5mm routed out but after that, they fit nicely... even used the existing socket... battery and wiring all fit nicely too...

7. Filip S

Filip S D Phrygian #3

"Ibanez S7 - Route out pup route at least another 3 or 4 mm out the bottom, possibly more. OR you could shim the neck and raise the bridge"

i don't want to do either :(
    i'm sure i saw a thread where someone said they fit in without any work done. i just cant find it. just if you're wandering im talking about my s7320. is there any difference between that and your s7?

i found it. it was on a thread i was posting on all the time:

i'm really confused about this now :(

8. SGB

SGB Well-Known Member

I'm interested in getting a set put in my Ibanez RG520qs anybody have any experience with this guitar or similar with BO's?

9. darbdavys

darbdavys SS.org Regular

How about fitting into a K7?

10. Filip S

Filip S D Phrygian #3

ibanez s7320 requires no additional work, just the electronics. the pots that came with the pups were too wide so i used different ones. the jack that came with them was too short but the old one is stereo so i used that. i also reused the old screws

11. RenegadeDave

RenegadeDave Huge nerd

I swapped to Blackouts on my Hornet 7, had to sand the routes for the PUs to go in, once that was done, I used the quick connects and it worked fine.

12. 7deadlysins666

7deadlysins666 kvlt

They were installed in my Ibanez APEX2 before I got it, but it looks like whoever did it had to clip the sides of the baseplates because the Apex's tabs are triangular.

13. Baum

Baum ss.org Regulol

I put a set of Phase 2 Blackouts to replace the 707s in my C7 Hellraiser. Tight fit, no extra work necessary.

14. jon66

jon66 Contributor

I installed a set of Phase-1's in my rg7321. I bought a set off a store on evil-bay (can't remember which store atm). The set came with everything you'd need, along with a few extra washers. I thought it a nice touch that they ship with 4 pots. Makes retrofitting the pups into pretty much any guitar possible, unless you have more than 4 pots...which I've never seen.

Although I've read that its possible to use a 5-way switch and wire positions 1/2 and 4/5 together, I ordered a separate 3-way switch for ease of soldering/troubleshooting.

The only modification to the guitar body itself was drilling the pot holes slightly larger to accommodate the supplied 25k pots. I might have been able to file the holes a bit to get them to fit, but the drill was charged and nearby so I figured why-not.

Also, I didn't have to depth route at all in the pickup cavities. I kept stopping and measuring like a million times, cuz I was always paranoid that I was gonna pop thru the back of the guitar when screwing the pups in direct mount, but there was enough clearance. I still wonder how that'd work on guitars with a tremolo-route in the back.

I used the supplied little rubber what looks like surgical tubing threading onto the screws between the pickup tab and the body of the guitar in lieu of springs. I probably SHOULD have routed down a little bit, as I could probably drop the neck pickup a tiny bit lower, but its working fine and sounds decent where it is so I'm not unstringing it, taking the pickups out, etc.

The biggest problem I encountered (and I couldn't figure it out for a couple hours of tinkering) was that the screws that held on my jackplate were poorly "aimed" when drilling into the body. Wiring the actual output jack was easy enough, and it fit on the oval jackplate no problem. Problem was, when installed back INTO the guitar, the tip on one of the screws holding the plate on was shorting connections on the end of the jackpin.

Once I finally realized this the situation was easily remedied by a trip to the local hardware store and buying a couple shorter length screws. That way I could still keep the jackplate fixed tightly to the body of the guitar, without the screws hitting the jack lugs inside.

Hopefully this adds so helpful information to anybody thinking about doing it to their rg7321. :metal:

15. ORIENTMETAL

ORIENTMETAL Member

Hey dude, would you have any pictures of your RG7321 you can post?
    I would be very interested to see how it looks like with the 4 pots and the way you connected the electronics...
    I am in the same situation... I just got my Blackouts that i want to install on my RG7321 and i am looking for ways, ideas and info...

16. hubbell1202

hubbell1202 Rufus Alexander

I recently ordered blackout 8s, for my HR C-8 replacing the 808s... anyone have trouble?

17. Lethe

Lethe SS.org Regular

I can add two guitars to the list:

Schecter 007 Blackjack: Replaced passive Duncans with a Phase 1 set. Needed to file the route quite a bit, But the whole installation including soldering took less than two hours (I'm a slow worker, especially when it comes to guessing how the switch's pins and the diagram correlate. Made an educated guess, got lucky. Never looked back.

Ibanez RG7EXFX2: Replaced active EMG 707s with a Phase II set. No-brainer, took less than 5 minutes. Differences are not too remarkable using a POD, people using "actual amps" have claimed more dramatic improvements. Too lazy to swap back, I guess they would both work great for me.

Despite the half inch difference in scale, the set neck vs. bolt-on and mahogany vs. basswood I can't tell the difference in sound between both guitars, which is what I was going for. It's more the look and feel where I want versatility, the sound should be basically the same so I can swap whenever I feel like it. I like the Ibanez better for riffing, because it feels tighter, and the Schecter feels good for melodic stuff with wider range of dynamics.

I doubt that I will ever go back to passives, at least for the kind of music I play.

18. TJey

TJey SS.org Regular

How close to strings do I have to put Blackouts.
    Closer = Better?

19. Decipher

Decipher Ibanez Enthusiast

No problem. I dropped Blackout 8's into my Ibanez RG2228 and it's an exact fit......... Plus they sound fucking amazing!

20. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

So no routing/pickup ring needed? And how do they sound compared to the EMG's (9V or 18V)? I'm super close to buying another 8, and I need to decide if I want the EMGs (which I'd do at 18V) or the Blackouts. It's already routed for the EMG size, btw.