mattchristensen

24/7 GAS
Reaction score
What's up everybody? I'm completely redoing my S7420 right now and I am installing a BMP but I want to know if you can 18v mod the preamp to give you more head room the same way you would with any active pickup. I've been looking around everywhere for the answer and can't find a single thing about it. I just wanna know is it possible to 18v mod the blackouts modular preamp? Thanks in advance guys.
-Matt-

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
What's up everybody? I'm completely redoing my S7420 right now and I am installing a BMP but I want to know if you can 18v mod the preamp to give you more head room the same way you would with any active pickup. I've been looking around everywhere for the answer and can't find a single thing about it. I just wanna know is it possible to 18v mod the blackouts modular preamp? Thanks in advance guys.
-Matt-

Long story short, YES

you can even 27volt mod it if you want to

now if these were black out pickups, i'd say don't bother, as the mod won't do much of anything.

can't really speak for the modular preamp, as the tones will all depend on the passive pickup you have in your axe at the time

so yes you can do the 18 volt mod just like you would on the active pickups, and plesae do so so i can see if it might make any cool differences

do the 9 volt, see if you like it, then do the 18 volt, it's an extremely easy mod to do

mattchristensen

24/7 GAS
Reaction score
Yeah I'll have to give it a go. Once I'm done with the complete makeover I'm gonna post shit loads of step by step pictures on here. I'll have to post 9v vs 18v bmp mod mp3s too. Sadly it most likely won't be anytime too soon as I'm still stripping and sanding the body right now.

nojyeloot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Matt

WARNING: I just installed the BMP in my s7420 and in order for ONE 9v battery to fit, you'll have to do some body routing. To do the mod you're talking about, you'll have to make an even bigger cavity. The battery will NOT fit in the electronics cavity along w/ the BMP volume pot/circuit board

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pickups-electronics-general-tech/150569-sd-blackouts-modular-preamp-anyone-else-dying-get-thing-besides-me-6.html

EDIT: That being said, what kind of pups are you blacking out?

mattchristensen

24/7 GAS
Reaction score
Matt

WARNING: I just installed the BMP in my s7420 and in order for ONE 9v battery to fit, you'll have to do some body routing. To do the mod you're talking about, you'll have to make an even bigger cavity. The battery will NOT fit in the electronics cavity along w/ the BMP volume pot/circuit board

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pi...anyone-else-dying-get-thing-besides-me-6.html

EDIT: That being said, what kind of pups are you blacking out?

Yeah I was already planning on making the cavity way bigger. I wanna throw the acoustiphonic in there as well. Pickup wise I'm not all that sure yet. I might try a full shred neck with a d sonic bridge. It's just an idea at this point. Who knows. I might even throw some guitarheads in there to see how good they sound with the modded bmp. What pickups do you have with your bmp setup? How do it sound with and without the bmp?

nojyeloot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah I was already planning on making the cavity way bigger. I wanna throw the acoustiphonic in there as well. Pickup wise I'm not all that sure yet. I might try a full shred neck with a d sonic bridge. It's just an idea at this point. Who knows. I might even throw some guitarheads in there to see how good they sound with the modded bmp. What pickups do you have with your bmp setup? How do it sound with and without the bmp?

Gotcha.

As for my pups, I did the mod on a guitar with 2 BKP Warpigs, and on my personal s7420's X2N7/DA7 combo. Check my posts in that thread for a full report, including pic story and A|B sound clips.

Over all, I loved the converstions

mattchristensen

24/7 GAS
Reaction score
Gotcha.

As for my pups, I did the mod on a guitar with 2 BKP Warpigs, and on my personal s7420's X2N7/DA7 combo. Check my posts in that thread for a full report, including pic story and A|B sound clips.

Over all, I loved the converstions

I've been digging around in your threads for a while now and I can't seem to find what thread you are referring to that has a pic story and a/b sound clips. Sorry to be a pain in the ass but I'm really interested.

nojyeloot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been digging around in your threads for a while now and I can't seem to find what thread you are referring to that has a pic story and a/b sound clips. Sorry to be a pain in the ass but I'm really interested.

"Look harder..."
6a00d8341eb8e453ef013485db1db9970c-120wi

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/2444148-post114.html

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/2446492-post116.html

mattchristensen

24/7 GAS
Reaction score
I was looking through all the threads you started that's my bad. That bmp sounds really awesome though. I'm sold. God knows if I can fit the bmp, 18v mod and acoustiphonic in my s7 even with routing.

nojyeloot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was looking through all the threads you started that's my bad. That bmp sounds really awesome though. I'm sold. God knows if I can fit the bmp, 18v mod and acoustiphonic in my s7 even with routing.

You could definately do all the BMP related HW. No clue on the acoustiphonic HW though. the s7420 is VERY thin as you know.

do want to see pix of your stripped s7 though

mattchristensen

24/7 GAS
Reaction score

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
The 18v mod apparently didn't do much of anything with regular Blackouts.. and this is the same pre-amp, so I can only venture to guess you'll get the same results. Just a guess, it certainly can't hurt to try...