Blackmachine chambering

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Humbuck, Nov 3, 2014.

1. immortalx

immortalx SS.org Regular

Having a spare peehole is always good for long beer drinking sessions :lol:

2. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

If that's just a marketing trick it would be a good thing for the consumers to be informed of it.
    That secrecy seems an awfully convenient way of making the claims the chambering is actually special pretty much unverifiable.
    The smart thing to do for him and consumers both would be to trademark it and sell licences like Strandberg does with the endurneck.
    Otherwise I'm inclined to believe this is just a marketing trick, and that BM owners just want their guitars to keep their value.

3. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

^You are way over thinking it. Its just something he knows can't be copied. Like all the other features in his guitars he believes the chambering adds to the tone, even if its minor its something he does on all his guitars to give them their sound. It doesn't make up the sound, For Blackmachine(and all guitars) its the sum of its parts.

4. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

Come to think of it, has anybody haphazardly stumbled onto that... errmm, other Blackmachine website because they thought they had the right URL? :lol:

5. molsoncanadian

molsoncanadian Crunchy Riff, Eh?

:lol::lol::lol:

6. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

I remember when a specific user was talking about how the chambering on his BM made it the best sounding...whatever.

Then someone pointed out that his B6 wasn't chambered. :lol:

7. Deadnightshade

Deadnightshade U gonna eat that?

If it's minor, then why does the comment in his video makes it seem like that's the thing that differentiates it from copies and "makes it work" ? It just doesn't add up, if you're so confident about your product not being truly replicated even if they have the basic woodworking design.

You tell me... When I was a bit of a more sombre guy I used to listen to Virgin Black. Googling the name was awkward EVERY time :lol:

It's the chambering in the wood pores you dumb-dumb :lol:

8. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

I don't know if that's what I think he means or not. I can't blame him for wanting to create the belief that there still is a tangible difference between his originals and the imitators but no matter what factor he could choose to highlight you'd still get people saying "That's just voodoo BS and makes no difference". Like, he could've said he's got a really specific process for wood selection and someone here would say "But tonewood is a myth, so that's just crap".

I do agree that he has no right to have people help him keep his secrets, but at the same time it's just what a nice guy would do for a dude who's poured his passion into his guitars. I can totally respect him not wanting to put everything on the slab for imitators to copy given the amount of pretty much 1:1 rips we're seeing around here, including people asking for 100% accurate body and headstock templates. Even though I've got no horse in this race (and I don't even like the HS design) I'm still not totally fine with people doing it like that. Pay homage, don't rip as completely as you can.

Ha ha! I haven't got a clue who that is but I can imagine the hits that'd give you. :rofl: Thank god Google has put that extra filter on search results, just in case you're searching from school/work/library computers.

9. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

Yep, and tbh it's not most of the owners who are hyping. Well, or at least not the owners who are flipping them, in other words the long-time owners.

I've watched the whole hype-train with a degree of horror, to be honest.

I'll probably be called hypocritical for saying this but I am in the process of getting rid of one of mine. I am benefiting from the hype, but am pretty gutted that it's going out the door to pay for legal & other fees associated with buying an apartment. I've done this off ss.org & similar for the simple reason that although I could have got a chunk more cash I was not willing to deal with the associated bullshit.

And no - anyone who reads this and is tempted to try it on - I will not answer PMs regarding it.

In fact I surprised that this thread hasn't been locked and everyone banned! :lol::lol::lol:

10. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I can not stress this enough: you cannot market something if you never advertise it, if you never mention it. That is what it means for it to be a marketing trick -- when in fact Doug never officially mentions the chambering on his website, on forums, on anything official. Just one off-hand comment at an expo that someone caught on camera. The attempts to keep it secret are not made by Doug, but by people who think you have a right to keep secret the things you learn by trial and error. The hype regarding the chambering is _solely_ generated by the number of people who want to see them, so you're really just adding fuel to the fire in some self-fulfilling prophecy that these chambers are at all important.

The idea of selling licenses is completely ridiculous because it also assumes that the guitar you are building is a blackmachine copy - a.) if the chambering is so specific, it's obviously completely inappropriate in an explorer, sg, or some builder's own design, and b.) you're not going to offer a license to someone ripping off your guitar, and the person ripping it off is clearly not going to feel ethically obligated to buy it.

Better that it pays $12k of your legal fees than $3k! And some guy who has nothing better to do with $12k than buy your guitar pays for it - what's the downside! haha

11. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

:wavey:

12. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

13. Neilzord

Neilzord .Metal.

"FWIW he only chambers his mahogany guitars, swamp ash are solid"

Well I never knew that!

14. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

I recognise that guitar....