Blackmachine chambering

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Humbuck, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Neilzord

Neilzord .Metal.

I wonder if Doug reads all of these endless threads about his guitars.

2. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

If Doug doesn't want the photos published of his chambering, then the photos shouldn't be published.

3. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Nope. He's bound to have heard it all before anyway.

4. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

I have a question about Doug's "marketing" that caused so much hype. Was the "marketing" actually marketing (ie. the closed build list, etc.)?

It seems like these guitars got really popular and specific people took advantage of it to hype the hell out of them to make a massive profit. I wasn't around from the beginning but I get the impression Doug had a specific design philosophy (weight relieving, body thickness, etc.) and people used it to spin hype.

How did Doug contribute to the process? (Knowing that this topic is sometimes touchy, this isn't a bait question. I wasn't here and there are far to many threads about BM to read them all.)

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Doug started off building guitars for friends and musicians in London(the majority of which are still with the original owners). When he built one for Pin thats when he started getting popular. He's never marketed or really advertised his guitars except at shows. When Nolly and Misha got their guitars thats when things really exploded. The rest is just word of mouth and threads here. Its owners and fans that have done all the marketing.

6. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin' Contributor

Why not? That doesn't make any sense to me at all. Just because it's not something protected by a design patent or copyright doesn't mean the creator can't express their will to have the information not shared.

7. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

You have trade secrets and patents. Someone else can get into the nitty-gritty but you can't make a secret patent.

If patents were secret, then people couldn't know if a concept was patented or not. Like the recipe for Coca-Cola, they chose to keep it secret because they would have to reveal the formula to obtain the patent.

Disclaimer: I've only studied patents in the context of the industrial revolution. May have gotten stuff incorrect.

8. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I think that unless some huge company decides to employ Doug's services, none of this matters. The incredibly low number of guitars produced + customer over-hyping + flipper over-over-hyping = less than no chance to be able to walk into a store and try one and get it for a remotely reasonable price. Whether or not Doug has somehow stumbled across a magic chambering size/pattern/location combination is irrelevant at this point.

9. weirdoku

weirdoku SS.org Regular

So I'm probably not the first but reading this thread I learnt that Doug is a black dude. I don't know why I'm surprised but I always thought he was some old bearded guy in his late 50s making guitars in his garden shed. Mind blown for about 30 seconds.

10. DancingCloseToU

DancingCloseToU SS.org Regular

:agreed: This brings a whole new meaning to the name "Blackmachine"...

11. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

Kids, this is what happens when you let gear flippers and endorsers build hype.

Don't build hype. Please.

12. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

:rofl:

Don't worry, the profiteers have left Blackmachine since they're too hard to come by to represent a steady revenue stream, they're switching over to Blackwater now.

13. Jake

Jake GAS Master

:lol::lol::lol: It's true

and well Caparison apparently too :shrug:

14. AVH

AVH avhguitarrepair.com Forum MVP

I've had 3 BM's come through my shop in the past which I took the opportunity to completely tear apart and scrutinize. I have my own opinions about some aspects of the workmanship, but make no mistake - there's no magical fairydust going on with these guitars, and any seasoned luthier/tech can easily see what's going on with these upon close inspection inside and out, particularly with this chambering nonsense. I took detailed pics of a couple, and dug this one out after determining the approximate chamber placement by tap and brush technique. It isn't rocket science guys, nor is there anything particularly special about the construction aspects of these guitars. Sure, they're nice guitars overall, but they're certainly not the solidbody unicorns many hype these to be.

[​IMG]

15. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

^Ok thanks, now kids are going to drill holes in perfectly fine, good old RGs...

16. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

:rofl:

17. asfeir

asfeir SS.org Regular

Sorry I had to do this :lol:

[​IMG]

18. Prophetable

Prophetable Prophet For Profit

I should have known Blackmachine was a Masonic Illuminati conspiracy. Obama probably has the NSA watch our communications about their chambering.

19. ormsby guitars

ormsby guitars SS.org Regular

A circle. An oval. And a roughly routed rectangle. Brilliant!!!

20. Deadnightshade

Deadnightshade U gonna eat that?

I put my guitar on my lap and tried to drill it. Now I have a second peehole.