Blackmachine B6+1

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by StevenC, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Plus you can customise it

2. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Nebelung is superior to Raptor imho.

3. 777timesgod

777timesgod Officially the unofficial Forum Censor

Perhaps the problem is at the bridge or tuners? Did you try a swap to make sure that it is not a hardware issue?

4. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Shame about what happened afterwards...

5. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

bailing for one shady, flaky custom builder for a straight up thief... I'm a dumbass.

it's been 10+ years since then and I still don't have any custom guitars except for my Suhr, which I bought already made

6. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

So happy to see this finished. Remember seeing the body and neck at the workshop when I was there and I was super excited.

Hopefully they'll make something out of the B4 (bass) as well, because that thing was fucking immense.

7. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

In fairness, Sherman had really been outed yet by that point as the crook we'd all discover that he was. From outside appearances everything seemed normal, and the guy had developed years worth of positive reputation on this site. SSO also hadn't endured nearly as many fly-by-night luthiers at that point either, so the signs weren't as obvious as they are now. I think this was all before BRJ or even the Roter debacle. Doug, meanwhile, was already known for being fairly capricious, which certainly would have made him seem like the riskier choice, and also hadn't reached the point where his guitars achieved the mythological status they have now. Who'd have known back then that people nowadays would be willing to drop some truly insane coin on his builds. :shrug:

8. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Yo, wut? That sounds sick- are there any pictures of this floating around?

9. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    I am totally baffled by the headless builds. I thought that was an April fools joke. But I've been in the dark for a while.

B6+1 does look pretty nice, but I just can't get into it anymore. Good to see it finally become a production reality.

10. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

What happened to Blackmachine during all these years? It really seems to me like this is too little too late. The hype really lost traction for most of us at this point.

They really had a massive business opportunity to manufacture/build more guitars a few years ago. In my opinion, they could have capitalized on it when Blackmachine were considered to be the unicorns of guitars. What happened during all these years of radio silence and small batches? This brand was such a missed opportunity for Doug.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  11. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I think people need to realise that Doug isn't building guitars for fame and fortune, but because he likes to do it sometimes for his friends and occasionally other people. If he wanted to build a guitar company with regular product lines and have them available in all the stores, he would have.

Doug doesn't really care about the hype or capitalising on it.

12. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

That urban legend's wide spread, but did he tell you in person? It's not like all people who didn't grow their business ideas into an empire did that on purpose. In 99% it's rather lack of business savvy, bad timing/decisions, missing skills/capital, bad luck or a mixture of those.

13. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yes he did.

Soya likes this.
  14. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Interesting guy... do you happen to know what he does for a living?

15. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Not a clue. Met him a few times through a mutual friend and he's always been friendly and replied to my emails. Conversation never got to that, mostly just guitar talk, design philosophy and stuff.

16. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I heard he likes BMX - maybe he's the world's most successful bicycle courier?

17. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

IF Doug had branched out I could imagine a big Korean line of B6 and B2/B7/B8 with veneer tops, then a UK and US semi-custom shop making customer spec orders. They'd be as big as Strandberg with the right minds behind it. A number of people tried to get the ball rolling but were turned down.

Doug scarcely built guitars for a few years but he designed a headless recently and has gotten back into it. He opened the order book for them and sold a bunch of in-stocks. The hype is still alive cause the prices were crazy.

Musiscience likes this.
  18. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Honestly, I think the timing is really good.

Most of the Blackmachine clone builders are either out of business or have moved on to their own designs/copying someone else.

JSanta, Humbuck, narad and 1 other person like this.
  19. Deep Blue

Deep Blue SS.org Regular

Would love this even more with those clear pickup bobbins I've seen on a few of the B6's.

20. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    Just from reading and listening to people who know him, not so much the few one-on-one emails, I don't think he cares to turn the brand into a commercial success. There's satisfaction in the prestige of doing something unique or just better than most others, and keeping it rare and coveted. That could partly be elitism and narcissism to some folks, though that doesn't strike me as entirely accurate for the guy. That's not to say he isn't capitalizing on the hype and flipping prices we've seen.

Ordacleaphobia and StevenC like this.