Black metal recommendation

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by chopeth, Jan 2, 2017.

1. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

The problem is that I can only choose two songs and I love soooooo much black metal bands I can't decide!! :scream:

I've ever considered selecting some weird combinations as Panopticon or Botanist...

2. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Hard one as a few others ahve stared Emperor would be good a good bet, as would Dimmu but then you coudl always go with Mayhem - Freezing Moon as it is a classic.

For something abit more recent, old band but stil progressing Enslaved with say Roots of the Mountain or Giants. For a new band Batushka, their debut album is fantastic.

One of my favourites of last year was Nordjevels debut album

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Roots of the Mountain is definitely my favorite track of RIITIIR

Also, speaking of Keep of Kalessin, they did ONE ep called Reclaim with ATTILA on vocals, and it's got another of my very favorite black metal songs

That EP with Attila is so good that I actually have a difficult time appreciating any of the stuff that came out after. I mean, I was really into Armada when it came out, but I just wished the whole time that Attila was the vocalist still.

4. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

That's one of my favorite albums ever, but I've never really considered Dissection black metal. Essential though regardless. Marduk though, absolutely. Heaven Shall Burn... for all around greatness, and Panzer Division for unrelenting speed.

5. Nick

Nick SS.org Regular

Agalloch is pretty accessible as has been mentioned but really this is a mental question.

There is something for everyone in BM its just a case of finding it. Stuff like Elysian Blaze may appeal to a pianist due to how dense and long winded it is.

Tempel is a good shout if you think they will be put off by the vocals becasue they dont have any!

Skaphe is probably not something to start with but its a good example of the sort of crazy route BM is going these days.

If you want to show him 'classic' BM obviously go with Emperor but its not really representative of whats happening with it at the moment.

6. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

More black thrashy death or something? No idea, but they incorporate a lot of BM ideas into their music which can get the listener used to much more extreme stuff. Definitely another good one that Meadows touched on is 1349... Hellfire is definitely essential!

7. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    Yeah dude you have a tough choice to make. Since this is the friend's first foray, my recommendation is to not go too harsh or weird. Look at the overall compositions as musical movements and decide. I'd again recommend one classic or second wave classic, and one more modern. I'd say at least one of those to be symphonic if this friend is attuned to classical music because that provides a great gateway tie in to the genre (exactly how I discovered black metal coming from 9 years of classical violin training and love of Dream Theater). One of the two tracks should be somewhat accessible melodically (but I'm not saying clean vocals and wind chimes).

8. mgh

mgh Betwixt and Between

two songs?
    i think Mother North by Satyricon - has everything classic 2nd wave BM needs - epic riffs, fast parts, slow parts, sing-along parts...should be high on the list
    then either something odd-ball from Ved Buens Ende...or maybe something from Hviss Lysett Tar Oss in that hypnotic style back when Vikernes wasn't a joke....

9. infernalservice

infernalservice SS.org Regular

I would play him the last few Deathspell Omega albums to scramble his brain.

10. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

I recently had success with getting my friend who primarily listens to jazz and pop to get interested in blackmetal with the latest from Dødheimsgaard: A umbra omega. Sure its not classic black metal, but it is a bit more easy to listen to.

Other choices who be swedish: The latest Dark Funeral, probably the track Unchain My Soul (not heart :lol:) or Where Shadows Forever Reign.
    Or maybe Marduks most recent with a track like Frontschwein, Afrika or even The Blond Beast for a bit of disco black metal :lol:

Or maybe not marduk, as I guess you don't wanna imply that bm people are nazis (I just read the comments for a youtube vid with a marduk song, ....ing hell)

11. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

[​IMG]

^underrated (is that one word or two?) to say the least, and also I can't believe no one's said Mayhem.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  12. Blood Tempest

Blood Tempest Eschaton Mémoire Contributor

If you've only got two songs to play for him, I would go with these:

Why these? Differing tempos, production that isn't super harsh (as that sometimes is tough for certain people to adjust to immediately), talented musicians, great atmosphere, various textures, and a classic versus (what is in my eyes) a modern classic.