BKPs for PRS Swamp Ash & Maple Guitar

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
your front yard, staring into your window
New PRS Custom 24, and I’d love some pickup opinions. I am underwhelmed with the 59/09 bridge and 85/10 neck. They have their merits but just can’t drive most amps. It was a safe, do it all set. I need to push the amp hard or use pedals on a SLO 30, JCM 800, KSR Ares, 5150, and even the Yamaha THR10x. FWIW, they sound solid through a JJ Jr., but rounded and straining in everything else.

I read their specs so I get why. I know what most of the entire BKP line does, but I never had them in this wood combo. Looking to do well clean, split, and vintage, and get all the way to mid-era Opeth and classic/trad metal/hard rock. Not too modern or contemporary hot. There are too many options to decide, so opinions especially with either PRS or swamp ash guitars in general using BKPs is appreciated!

PRS Custom 24
Swamp Ash body
Flamed Maple neck & fretboard
Flamed Maple Top
Tuned to E/drop D.

I’m kind of set on trying a VHII neck, but still need a bridge pickup. If I’m way off bass with that neck pickup please chine in.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd think that a Rebel yell, Holy diver or Miracle man would work. Maybe even a coldsweat bridge.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
I’ve been considering a Holy Diver. And possibly even in the neck. It’s a phenomenal neck pickup on it’s own but definitely has it’s own unique character unlike most other neck pickups. These are just a bit hotter than I was looking for.

MM’s would work but that’s way hotter than I want. I have a set in another instrument and they scream.

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
So you want a higher output pickup with more high end that will slam the front end of your amp?

In that case, skip the rebel yell and holy diver. Neither are good for slamming the front end of an amp.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
So you want a higher output pickup with more high end that will slam the front end of your amp?

In that case, skip the rebel yell and holy diver. Neither are good for slamming the front end of an amp.

Not so much slam it as drive it a bit harder. The 59/09 is struggling with SLO/Mesa/Marshall amps. I have to either throw in a boost or crank the presence to get it to be articulate and saturate, and it’s still limp. By comparison the BKP Mule immediately jumps out of an amp, as does an Ormsby Nunchucker.

Obviously the hottest pickups in BKPs line push an amp, but I’m trying to avoid the conventional wisdom of high output modern pickups and go for “higher” output vintage hot range. I am unsure of what’s going to sit in a giant pile of maple & swamp ash and not get too bright.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve been considering a Holy Diver. And possibly even in the neck. It’s a phenomenal neck pickup on it’s own but definitely has it’s own unique character unlike most other neck pickups. These are just a bit hotter than I was looking for.

MM’s would work but that’s way hotter than I want. I have a set in another instrument and they scream.
Only other one I can think of might be the black dog. Then there's their boot camp line which there's the brute force or the true grit humbuckers.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
Only other one I can think of might be the black dog. Then there's their boot camp line which there's the brute force or the true grit humbuckers.

You have hit the nail on the head. BKP actual recommended Black Dogs, and I’ve always wanted to try a set in a PRS. I’ve played the bridge in a 7, and it was very thick, growly, and driving. Swamp ash body, different neck. Subtle effects on tone but I notice it. So great recommendation; probably what I’ll go with.

Coincidentally, someone on the BKP forum recommended the True Grit humbuckers too. So y’all are onto something.

BabUShka

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had a Black Dog installed in SG 61RI. Its very bright, cuts well through a mix with a very narrow but tight bass/bottom. I really liked it. It kinda lives up to the name because the pickup is very responsive and "gnarly?"

As for rebel yell, they sounded a little bit more metallic to me, but very beefy and straight forward pickups. Very versatile both in neck and bridge.

Keep in mind that the Black Dog works best with a higher pickup hight adjustment than Traditional pickups. It really bring life to the pickup. Sounded very thin and weak at first, but after i lifted it - i was impressed.

Last edited:

AboutBlank

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I immediately thought of the Black Dog.
My absolute favourite.

Absolutely recommended for slightly brighter guitars and in my opinion absolutely not treble-heavy.

Fat and powerful low mids and wonderfully balanced.
In my opinion also perfect output, very flexible.

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
I'm going to say a Silo since others have suggested some other good pick ups. Still high output enough to push an amp but not as insane as something like a Warpig. Very versatile pick up

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
I'm going to say a Silo since others have suggested some other good pick ups. Still high output enough to push an amp but not as insane as something like a Warpig. Very versatile pick up

I want to try that guy down the road. Good suggestion. I’ve heard it actually is an underwound Warpig, so your description makes perfect sense!

Black Dog or Nailbomb would have been my suggestions. Both are versatile pickups.

Yeah and the BKP crew also suggested Nailbombs on the hotter end, possibly a Crawler bridge, and the HD set. I look at Nailbombs as the default versatile set like you said; cannot go wrong.

But I’m sold on the Black Dog set this time. I’ve been meaning to use these before and never did, so it’s time to pull the trigger.

Now, what bobbins or covers...? First world problems.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

You can actually chose both. If you ever get tired of the covers you can just de-solder them and have bobbins of the color you chose. "Tyger" covers lets you see the bobbins underneath, too.

Alex79

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I want to try that guy down the road. Good suggestion. I’ve heard it actually is an underwound Warpig, so your description makes perfect sense!

Yeah and the BKP crew also suggested Nailbombs on the hotter end, possibly a Crawler bridge, and the HD set. I look at Nailbombs as the default versatile set like you said; cannot go wrong.

But I’m sold on the Black Dog set this time. I’ve been meaning to use these before and never did, so it’s time to pull the trigger.

I always choose open.

AboutBlank

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Cool, please report back with your impressions, especially concerning the neck. I always pair the BD bridge with a Cold Sweat neck.

Imo the Black Dog is quite similar to the Holydiver, less output and fewer high mids makes it even more attractive to my taste.

BabUShka

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can actually chose both. If you ever get tired of the covers you can just de-solder them and have bobbins of the color you chose. "Tyger" covers lets you see the bobbins underneath, too.

I did that to a Rebel Yell set that came with Ray Gun covers. Very easy to remove the covers. Nickel covers are Nice to have if you ever plan to re sell them second hand, as many put their Black Dog in Gibson type guitars.