BKP Pickup install for an Ibanez RG7 Direct Mount

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by SlipknotKoRnfan, Feb 3, 2020.

1. SlipknotKoRnfan

SlipknotKoRnfan Airline Pilot. Ibanez Afficionado.

Hi guys,

I was just about to click the order button for a set of BKP Juggernauts for my Ibby. But then I started reading and found a bunch of stuff online about having to ask for specific things so that they work in an Ibanez in terms of installation and wiring? I heard I need tri-tabs and that maybe the neck pickup coil should be flipped?

Heres what Im installing the BKPs in:

Ibanez RG2027X (direct mount)
    using the stock VLX91 super switch

I plan on wiring these to include split/ single coil sounds.

What exactly to I need to include on the notes of my order? I dont waanna screw it up and have to send them back lol. Thanks!

2. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

4 conductor cable for the split options and low mounting tabs for the direct mount. I believe these are now a standard but doesn't hurt to add a note if you can.

odibrom likes this.
  3. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Also, depending on what you want to do with the wiring, identify the coil polarity orientation. I generaly place the north coil facing the neck, but some times I do the opposite...

What I always do is to have alternate polarity with all the coils, so when having inner or outer coils together, they are hum canceling.

4. BTS

BTS BTS

Yiu need to specify tritabs for bkps for ibbys as well - you can also tell BKP what guitar the pickups are going into and they are usually on the ball when it comes to letting you know if there may be a problem

5. SlipknotKoRnfan

Ok thanks for the help guys. So since I plan on having split coils as well, I SHOULD have the neck pickup magnet flipped?

6. odibrom

odibrom .

Easy there, it depends on how you want the pickups to look like when installed and how to manage their coils. Just wanting to split coils doesn't mean that you'll have to flip the magnet. On the other hand, flipping a pickup's magnet isn't rocket science. Magnets are secured on humbuckers with a little amount of glue of some sort, so, you can flip/replace them on your own.

Since the pickups have both coils with screws, I wouldn't bother with asking the magnet flipped. That only has importance when you want to use one coil of each pickup and the pickup/pickups has/have different coils (like screws on one and a rail or slugs on the other) and you want a specific orientation for it/them.

What are thinking for each switch position?

7. SlipknotKoRnfan

So what I am planning on accomplishing (if I can) is:

Bridge (series) , bridge (north coil only) , bridge + neck (series) , neck (north coil only) , neck (series)

If I can't accomplish that, I'll stick to the diagram I have currently which has:

Bridge (series) , Split inner coils , bridge +neck (series) , split outer coils , neck (series)

Thanks for the help man

odibrom likes this.
  8. odibrom

odibrom .

@SlipknotKoRnfan Hey man

Almost everything is doable with that switch. I have a few questions still.
    1. In order for you to have the North coil only in either bridge and neck pickups at the 2 and 4 positions, how are you thinking in the pickups orientation? As you may know, humbuckers have one coil North and the other South polarized. AFAIK, most brands build their pickups with the thought to install them with the north coil facing the neck in a 2 Humbucker guitar, so when mixing inner or outer coils, either in series or parallel, they'll be Hum canceling. This means that (just to be clear), Neck Pickup's North Coil is facing neck and its south is facing bridge, and will the bridge pickup, which also means (in other words) that the coils order will be (from bridge to neck) South-North (for the bridge pickup), South-North (for the Neck pickup). There are people, however, who like to install their pickups so their inner coils are North and their outer coils are south (most often these same people won't be doing no coil split things). No problem there, whoever if mixing only inner coils one won't achieve hum canceling tones. So, before anything else, how are you thinking in having them?
    2. For position 3, where you want both pickups in series, please specify who each pickup will have its coils (series I believe) and how do you want the mix to be done (parallel is most common, series is super punchy).
    Personally, I have found that the Inner coils in series is a much more interesting tone than Neck (series)+ Bridge (series) in a parallel mix, for it kind of emulates a middle humbucker in series. As for position 2 and 4 I generally have outer coils (south for the bridge and north for the neck pickups). This is a combo that delivers an interesting array of tones with enough contrast between them to cover lots of bases. Do know that there will be a significant volume drop at positions 2 and 4 due to them being single coils versus all other being series humbucker tones.

Nevertheless, answer these 2 questions and I may help you out with a scheme... I've done lots do drawing and schemes for my guitars...

Last but not least, consider the use of PCB connectors like these (it's those green blocks and the grey one) in this image:
    [​IMG]

The advantages are:
    1. you can swap the switch without having to do the soldering inside the cavity.
    2. you can swap pickups without having to redo the circuit, paying attention only to the order of the pickups' leads.
    3. you can swap out the pickups' leads so to find / experimente with different coil combos. For example, instead of inner coils in series you could have outer coils in series for that same switch position, or instead of having north coil, you could test the south coil, this without having to redo anything within the circuit or re-soldering anything else...
    I've been using these block / PCB connectors for about 10+ years and they work great. They don't require any pickup modification, they are small enough to fit inside the guitar's control cavity, they are completely transparent without filtering anything in the guitar's tone, besides the previous suggested advantages. There exist in different sizes and slot numbers...

Image for these:
    [​IMG]

aesthyrian likes this.