BKP Juggernaut VS Painkiller??

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Fuzzy Pinetree, Oct 11, 2020.

BKP Jugg's or Painkillers

1. Juggernaut

64.3%
  2. Painkiller

35.7%
  1. Fuzzy Pinetree

Fuzzy Pinetree SS.org Regular

I'm ordering a custom guitar, and they have the full range of BKP available to choose from. I can't decide between the Juggernauts or Painkillers, and I have no real way of trying them out beforehand. I hate swapping pickups cause its a hassle and I either regret switching and have to switch back or it's great, but I hate it and I don't wanna have to order a different set if I don't have to.

They'll be going in am OD Guitars Venus, swamp ash body, ebony fretboard, ziricote body top wood, maple neck, 27" scale 7 string. I'm going for tones something like John Browne of Monuments, Misha Mansoor, etc. Very percussive on the low strings, lots of clarity and note definition for big extended chords, and a good clean tone when coil split, but I'd rather get an amazing heavy tone and sacrifice cleans than sacrifice heavy stuff for cleans. It'll also be going into an Axe FX btw.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

3. Fuzzy Pinetree

Any particular reason you like them better??

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

1. Juggs will do everything you want or need
    2. Juggs work better in (typically) brighter sounding woods like swamp ash
    3. Painkillers are horribly icepicky in brighter sounding guitars. They work best for brightening a darker sounding guitar. They have far worse cleans than the Juggs and they have a metric ton of upper mids along with a greasy/fizzy high end.
    The Juggs are the safer bet even if the guitar doesn't turn out being brighter sounding.

I'm not even a fan of the juggernauts but they're by far the better choice for your situation.

5. Fuzzy Pinetree

1 & 2 probably just made my decision a no brainer! Thanks!

6. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

Definitely the juggernauts. Jack of all trades pick up. Very well balanced tone. I've heard them in both brighter sounding wood guitars like swamp ash and also heard them in darker words like mahagony and basswood. No matter what they've sounded killer. And IMO they have some of the best ambient clean tones of any pick up on the market.

Fuzzy Pinetree and Zhysick like this.
  7. Fuzzy Pinetree

Well I'm sold on the Juggs now! I've always had issues with finding the right pickups for the guitar itself, and usually my guitars end up sounding really dark.

8. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

I have guitars with Juggs and Painkillers and although I like them both, the Painkiller wins for me all around, and I've had them in more than one guitar with different woods and construction. I would not bother to buy Juggernauts to put in another guitar, but I definitely would with Painkillers. Great high gain pickup!

9. Noodler

Noodler Riffing and chill

I went with Painkillers in my Mahogany Majesty and they sound amazing. Since the neck is a ceramic magnet, it can get ice pickish but you can EQ it out with an EQ pedal. I run a Boss GE-7.

10. TimSE

TimSE Contributor

You 100% want the juggs. I made a video on a set I got recently if you wanna hear some of the tones I've got so far:

For clarity, tight low end, high gain saturation without being clumpy. 100% juggs. They are made for exactly this

11. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Juggs heavily remind me of EMG81’s. Probably doesn’t help you, but Browne was a heavy emg user for a while

12. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Juggernaut for that guitar for all the reasons others posted.

13. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

What does the builder suggest?

14. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Have you considered the BKP Silos (Rabea Masaad signature set)? They're a less compressed version of the Warpig and should really excel in a brighter guitar such as yours. The BKP Impulse would also be a great choice.

Owning a Juggernaut set, and a different guitar with the same woods, I'm not sure if I'd recommend them for your guitar (I certainly wouldn't put the Juggs in mine). Juggs are indeed very versatile but they have a very unique voicing. Extreme bass and highs are cut, low and high mids are boosted, and center mids are again cut. So that leaves you with a pickup with very pronounced low and high mid spikes. And considering the scooped nature of ash, they might end up sounding pretty hollow/boxy/spikey, as I've heard plenty of people complain before.

Juggs sound at home in alder guitars, which are relatively bright and have plenty of mids. Probably basswood too as it's quite a neutral wood.

Having both sets installed atm, I can tel you they sound absolutely nothing alike.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Noodler likes this.