BKP Aftermath Experiencionados? RGD7421 related

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by ICSvortex, Nov 12, 2019.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire chasing the tone dragon

Yeah basically. A .1uf is going to chop more high end off than a .047 or.033 .001 would barely chop any highs out

2. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Apologies to the OP for this slight thematic detour, but I noticed there are a couple of 8 string Agiles up on the Rondo site now running Aftermaths and Painkillers. Do you think they're good choices for those big slabs of mahogany?

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire chasing the tone dragon

They can be. Depends if they're a darker sounding guitar or not

4. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Considering you swapped the neck pickup for an Air Norton, so that means you have an X2N-7 lying around somewhere, why messing around with the Aftermath when you can just put the X2N in the bridge an have an amazing pair of pickups that are a really great match?

Just saying...

Yeah, I am aware I am not asking what you are asking for, but that's what I would do.

5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

You can also try 250k volume pots that will cut some highs.

I actually like the aftermaths a lot tho

Alex79 and ICSvortex like this.
  6. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

Okay i tried it with a .047 and now it sounds like a fully rolled back tone control, i may have done the wiring wrong tho... how would i connect the capacitor correctly to the volume? or should it sound like that?

i put the cap between the middle lug of the volume pot and the ground on the pot btw, just like it is on most tone controls

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  7. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

well i put the X2n in my RG1527, so i'd have to take it out of there again so i'd rather not do that tbh^^

8. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

9. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Yes, a .047 is way too much IMO - you're basically simulating a fully rolled back tone pot. I would try a .022.
    You can also try wiring a .047 or .022 capacitor together with a 500Kohm resistor in that place. The standard tone pot is 500Kohm when set to 10, so you can simulate that with a resistor. Admittedly I'm not an expert on this and I have never tried this, but this sounds logical to me. I think George Lynch used to do something like this for his neck pickups.

Personally, I would rather try a simple 300Kohm Gibson-style pot or a 250Kohm Fender-style pot as volume and not bother with resistors/capacitors. That should already darken it a bit and fatten up the high end.

10. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

well, could i just try to adjust the 500k pot to 250k with my multimeter and then i would know if that makes it better? sounds easier to me than buying a new pot and wiring everything again isnt it?

11. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

Okay I fixed it finally, i tried almost everything you guys wrote and for me, it came down to 2 options:
    1. Buy new pickups
    2. install a 130k resistor in series wit a 47nF capacitor where the tone pot would usually go and call it a day. Which is what i did, and i installed a little dip-switch in the cavity-cover so i could turn that off if i wanted.

I will post a NGD as soon as i have everything installed permanently including a coil-split mini-switch and a new neck humbucker (probably a BKP silo or ragnarok)

Thanks again, there were a lot of great suggenstions!

12. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 Mobius Guitars

Oh boy, I was in the exact same situation as you a few years ago & believe me, just get rid of the Aftermath. It’s the absolute worst possible choice for those guitars. I played the whole capacitor game as well & it never sounds good, just less awful. I think you’re on the right track with Ragnaroks for that guitar. I recently tried them & didn’t like them because they seemed a bit dark for ceramic pickups, which is exactly what these RGD’s need. I would either go with those or Juggernauts, both would do well to fill out the low mid.