Bitter pill Youtube copyright claim.

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by GoldDragon, May 18, 2020.

1. Dayn

Dayn silly person

You generally need a mechanical licence to publish a cover of a song. Most covers that people upload are infringing copyright by not having that licence. That's the law, no ifs or buts about it.

But even then, Youtube's system is not designed to follow the law - it's designed to placate large publishers by giving them a huge amount of power. It puts the onus on anyone accused of copyright infringement and is designed to settle complaints as automatically as possible.

Alex79 and GoldDragon like this.
  2. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

My guitar cover was closer than the video I linked. But didn't have bass or vocals. And it was only 20s looped.

What is weird is that Orchid, used that lame cover of BIB to dispute my review video, instead of the actual song. Which is what makes me think its fishy.

Like if they have 100 different covers of the song, the algorithm will eventually catch anyone covering it.

Its time to dump youtube as a platform. The days of independent creators are gone. They are censoring everything, guiding political and social discourse. Its become evil, I'd even say unconstitutional.

3. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

Varg released a few Burzum songs on his old YouTube channel and someone downloaded them, claimed them as their own and filed a copyright claim against Varg with his own music.

A video of mine was completely blocked because I played a short guitar only section of the outro from "Hotel California", the label wasn't interested in any part of it being available.

This original song of mine was deemed "having content not suitable for advertisers"

YT consistently keeps fixing things that aren't broken, I'm sure we all have dealt with these unfortunately issues...

4. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I think they're fixing things that are broken, it's just that the policies are geared at issues involving major players, and guys with like 1,000 views on their videos usually wind up slipping through some crack where a policy never intended to affect them now does, and their lack of importance on youtube gives them little recourse for fighting it.

Thaeon and StevenC like this.
  5. Lax

Lax SS.org Regular

I see a lot of covers of the same bands, maybe that's because they are among the ones that doesn't claim ? metallica, slipknot etc...
    Is it a good idea to jump the wagon and do the same ?
    On my channel I think Imma just not cover, if possible...

6. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Google and caring about SMBs never really seemed like a match made in heaven.

7. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I think you’re spot on. YouTube’s policies are intended to make life easier for YouTube. Simply by appeasing the big players, YouTube is less likely to get caught up in anything that costs itself money before anything really gets started.

It’s simply a case of who has the ability and likelihood to cause an actual legal issue for them, as in one that means they have to dedicate their own resource to dealing with? A major label with its own legal department and a strict copyright enforcement policy or some guy with 5 videos each with 100 views who wants to show off his new guitar?

Flappydoodle likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd this is why I dont bother with a youtube channel. I would love nothing more than get a gear channel going, discussions, playthroughs etc (like a budget Ola Englund) but its such a mine field I cant be ass'd with the legalities and pettiness of it all

Carl Kolchak likes this.
  9. narad

Yea but I mean, of course Google cares about SMBs. Google cares about all revenue streams, and they are ranked proportionally. And now replace Google with any-company, and welcome to capitalism.

10. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

What's bizarre is that there are hundreds of acdc covers both by amatuers and professionals, some with millions of views.

I wonder, is it possible for someone who dislikes you or your channel to instigate a crr claim?

For instance the person who filed this did so with a lame cover. I don't even know if that's the real orchid.

How can a lame cover of acdc with 133 views file a claim against an amateur video with 2k hits? It feels targeted, not like something an algorithm would catch.

11. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I have no idea ‘how’ I’m afraid, and it could indeed be someone who wants to steal views from you I guess???

I understand that Van Halen’s lawyers used to trawl the Internet looking for guys with striped guitars so maybe it can happen?

EDIT: I guess that once YouTube receives a copyright complaint, it’s easier for them to essentially ignore it unless the recipient wishes to contest it. Costs them nothing and keeps big business happy...

12. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I did an ACDC cover many years ago. Years later, but still years ago, I got a copyright strike on it.

Covers are not legal, unless you have the rights to perform them.

Around the time I uploaded that ACDC cover, I had also uploaded dozens of other covers: Arch Enemy, Laibach, Led Zeppelin, Billy Idol, Focus, Death, Raymond Scott, etc., - no one squawked about any of those.

GoldDragon likes this.
  13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

They aren't the government or something, they're a company that can do what they want. Does some of it suck? Absolutely. But is it illegal or malicious? No it's not. They've every right to do as they please with their platform. The video staying up isn't owed to you in any way.

14. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Aren't they? I would say all social media operates today as a de facto snitch service/intel-phising op of the feds. I mean if the majority of trolls on Twitter aren't actually feds then you surely know they're working for them in some capacity.

Speculation aside, the real problem here is that of over-reliance on the services of another. To put it bluntly we've become lazy, and that laziness is now being fully exploited. We've become so used to being able to do every with "one-click" that the thought of venturing further out into DIY realms of cyberspace triggers a kind peer pressure inertia. I'll give an example from recent memory. There was this guy who had a YT chan that had some pretty decent numbers for what it was. Unfortunately for him, the political winds changed direction and his channel was left swinging in the on-line breeze. Now the guy's chan wasn't in the least bit offensive, and each vid he posted was duly "watermarked" with the appropriate disclaimer, yet all it was going to take to get his chan pulled was a single snowflake spamming that snitch/report button on him. And this is what he was lamenting on an FB group. So I casually remarked why don't you just migrate from YT to Bitchute and stop worrying about the inevitable. To which he remarked that doing so would lose him all the subs he worked for. But you're going to lose them anyways, so why not get a head start on rebuilding I told him. His response was if I lose my YT chan then I'm done doing this.

This seems to be most people's attitudes. If they lose the social prestige they think is attached to something like YT then they'd rather simply not produce at all.

15. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

As stupid as all of this is, you CAN play AC/DC songs... sorta. Just change some notes. It's been done in TV commercials since commercials exist for the very same reasons. You'll get the vibe as well and people will go WTF? which is also cool :lol:

Assuming you don't use vocals (which contain copyrighted lyrics), of course.

16. narad

Ya, except that that's not how channels get pulled. If you're driving the speed limit, it doesn't matter how many people ask the police to check you. Youtube operates similarly.

If you were say... doing the equivalent of driving 110 mph down the road in a school zone, as I suspect is probably the case with anyone lamenting about such things on a FB group, then yes, it is likely inevitable that by algorithm or personal notification that your content will fall under further review.

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

No, no they are not. Youtube is not the government by any stretch of the imagination. Don't forget that youtube is used by the world, not just the US. Is YouTube maybe just the government of itself? I mean, you could stretch definitions to say that they "govern their platform", which would be fair - but again, it's their platform, they can do as they want with it.

The trick is scale. YouTube has a near monopoly over user-uploaded video content sharing. They have the largest share of the audience. And they also have the largest responsibilities to their source of income -> the people who pay for those ads. People aren't going to migrate to something like Bitchute because there's no audience there, and because they can't take their share of YouTubes ad money pie. It's nothing to do with "social prestige". I've never heard of Bitchute before, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. Other people have tried to move to other platforms with varying levels of success, but the reality of the situation is that YouTube is where the audience is. You can upload videos onto your own website all you want, but you'll lose access to the ad money, the creators networks, "the algorithm" that drives people to their channel in the first place.

People like to shit on youtube, but what would they have without it? They would have to actually do all that work and marketing themselves. Built their own video distribution technology. Build their own ad serving business. Find ways to drive customers to their product like most businesses do. YouTube does a HUGE chunk of that work for them, just for creators to shit on them for not making it even easier.

XPT707FX, StevenC and Emperoff like this.
  18. narad

Looked it up:

BitChute is a video hosting service founded in 2017. It was created to allow video uploaders to avoid content rules enforced on other platforms, such as YouTube. The platform accommodates far-right individuals and conspiracy theorists; with the Southern Poverty Law Center saying the site hosts "hate-fueled material".

Sounds like a fun place.

vilk, XPT707FX, Carl Kolchak and 2 others like this.
  19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I feel like the amount of times I've had to type out "don't forget there are places outside of the US" has gone substantially up in the last 6 months or so. :lol:

XPT707FX, Avedas, narad and 1 other person like this.
  20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

On the other hand there's a strong correlation with guys who think social media is the government and guys talking about some other made up government.