Bitter pill Youtube copyright claim.

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by GoldDragon, May 18, 2020.

1. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

Someone submitted a copyright claim on a video I made four years ago. It has about 2K views. Just a personal video.

It was a gear demonstration video, and I recorded a 20 second bit of an AC/DC song.

Of course I disputed the claim, but they make you sign your name, so the claimant, who I have no idea who they are, will have my name. My YT identity is no longer anonymous which could pose security risks.

There are tons of AC/DC vids on youtube with MILLIONS of views, some probably by copyright owner, others probably illegal. Who would file a copyright claim on a 4 year old gear review video with only 2K views?

What is disconcerting about this is that the copyright holder has carte blanch to make claims against music that isn't theirs. I wonder what level of vetting youtube does on the copyright holder's side. Its probably just a batch script that analyzes music in videos and flags them for big businesses.

2. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I've seen several youtube videos from various channels i like where they've said they won't play even a few seconds of AC/DC or it'll get them striked. Don't know if it's the band or someone along the publishing line that's strict with their content.

3. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

It's usually the label.

You should watch the Rick Beato rant vids about this... hilarious.

IIRC Rick said if you fight it and lose 3 claims they ban your channel for lifetime.

c7spheres, AxeHappy and wakjob like this.
  4. GoldDragon

LOL. This is the shithead who made the claim. Someone made a bad cover of Back in Black, and they are filing a claim against my gear review video. WTF?

5. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

WTF? lol

6. GoldDragon

My guitar version sounds better than their shit.

I'm concerned that someone is tricking the algorightm by claiming they own the copyright to a big song (when they really dont) and file a claim against another video so they can get their name.

Whats frustrating about this is that no one vetted the claim in any way.

Anyone have a guess what is going on?

7. GoldDragon

You mean you cant even cover the riff for a gear review video?

I just picked it because it was easy to play and it matched the vibe I was going for.

8. GoldDragon

9. Jake

Jake GAS Master

I've had people claim my own bands music, I've seen friends bands have claims against their own music. Youtube copyright claims are ridiculous. Anything I upload gets vetted with a fair use disclaimer anymore and I actually haven't had any copyright issues in awhile. Of course I'm not monetizing my videos but I would imagine that would make things a little messier if I was.

I think it's just a flawed system that doesn't really get any oversight.

XPT707FX and GoldDragon like this.
  10. GoldDragon

Jesus. So if you write an original song, post in on Youtube, some ahole can repost your song, file a claim against it claiming that it is their own?

Youtube needs to burn to the ground.

c7spheres likes this.
  11. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Bitchute? ;)

Masoo2 likes this.
  12. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

That's what i've seen in multiple videos yeh. A couple of them were like "i was just about to play an AC/DC riff, but i got claimed for that before".

13. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

I had a claim against my own music once...but that was due to my label. I just called the label owner and he took care of it.

As for reviews and stuff....don't play other people's songs. Not because "you shouldn't" or any of that shit but because youtube is retarded so you're better off playing original stuff or if you're gonna do someone else's make it almost but not quite.

Thaeon, Emperoff and GoldDragon like this.
  14. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

For us "little people" You Tube is a no-win proposition, as is all social media at this point. Eventually, those of us still concerned about their freedom of speech will be forced off of the normie web and onto the dark web. It's only a matter of time.

gabito and GoldDragon like this.
  15. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

Interesting video on the matter of copyright. Not that it addresses bullying, but it's still some nice insight.

Jonathan20022, StevenC and TedEH like this.
  16. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

It could be worse. If Youtube's video promotion shows anything, it's that people on the dark web are making a killing selling "mystery boxes" to Youtubers for tens of thousands of dollars a pop. What a hustle!!!! :lol:

Carl Kolchak likes this.
  17. Walter W.

Walter W. SS.org Regular

the dark web sounds scary

DiezelMonster likes this.
  18. GoldDragon

Lots of people covering Megadeth and other bands. This makes me not want to listen to ACDC.

19. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

How did you find out this is the person that made the claim? Do you have a screenshot of what this notification looks like?

In your cover, did you play over a backing of the original track? I mean, Rick ranted about this, but you watch his top countdowns where they do short covers of the songs _in order to sidestep those issues_ -- I was under the impression covers are always fair game.

I have however seen guys nail covers so well the algorithm thinks its the original, especially in guitar instrumental stuff, but this doesn't seem to be the case here.

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I was going to post the Tom Scott video but it's already here.

You can normally tell if the claim was automated, cause it'll tell you that it came from content ID. I had this happen once for a cover - I have no idea how it matched it because the cover wasn't THAT close, but I just took it down. Technically, nobody has a right to play content that isn't theirs on the internet. Sure, it's dumb, but technically I was in the wrong.

I just went through a similar thing where my sister had me record a cover so that she could use it at her work as a motivational thing - and I explained that we don't have the rights - but she said she went through her work's legal department who were fine with it, so that's on them I guess.