"Biggest" sounding solidstate Randall?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Bearitone, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I'm not well versed in old Randall solidstate amps (or new ones lol) but, I know there have been a ton released between now and the 80's. I was wondering if any of them were known for having more low end or girth like a recto. If so which models? I also remember someone on here saying that old randall power sections sound huge, any truth to this?

Gmork likes this.
  2. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I don’t have first hand experience with a lot of different Randall’s but I’ve got an RH200 that pushes some serious low end and a rackmount Randall power amp. I find it mostly depends on the speakers the RH is going through. Going through JBL’s you hear what the amp can do, deep lows and high highs, but go through greenbacks and it becomes more musical. Sometimes I like to eq it like a high schooler, max out the lows and highs, scooped mids (contour knob is a great feature) through the JBL’s and combine it with a properly eq’d amp. A 5150 or MP-1, something with a lot of midrange plus the wide range of the Randall sounds pretty good, they don’t fight each other that way.

So short answer, IMO yes they sound huge but they need capable speakers to do it and even the cheap ones sound good through pleasant sounding speakers. You can pick up unpopular models for next to nothing too which is a big plus considering how overpriced the used market is right now.

I don’t know which sounds “biggest” though.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  3. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I used to have a Randall T2 that I ran through a Marshall cab that had G12T-75 speakers in it and it sounded heavy as hell. Coincidentally, the other guitarist had a Dual Rec at the time and the Randall had no problem keeping up.

4. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

I sold my Randall V2 recently, but before I did I was actually running it through a Gen Benz 212 with Celestion Pulse 12 bass speakers and playing my 5 string jazz bass...

Probably the best bass setup ever. Threw out a metric fuvkton of low end, grindy as shit too. Probably shouldn't have sold it lol

But yeah, if you run a V2 through midrangey guitar speakers and EQ it, it lives up to its reputation as one of the tightest amps in existence...

But the lowend is definitely there man

Necky379 likes this.
  5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The Randall T2, V2, RH150G3+, and RH300G3+.

6. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

It never crossed my mind to try a bass through that RH200/JBL setup but now I have to, I bet that’ll be unbelievable just based on the character of that amp. Thanks for the tip.

0rimus likes this.
  7. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

I'm currently using a RX120 and it's definitely throaty. I was surprised considering it's the bottom of the barrel Randall and I just bought it because it was 80 bucks. Even through a cheap ass cab it's got more than enough low end..but through decent speakers it's even better. Randall sure does know how to make a good solid state. You honestly can't go wrong with any of them.

Konfyouzd, 0rimus and Necky379 like this.
  8. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Darn. Sort of bummed most the suggestions were hybrid.

Do the T2, V2, and RH300g3+have tube preamps and SS Poweramps? Or the other way around?

I’ll have to check out an RH200 :)

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

Whats wrong with hybrids?

I don't remember the specifics of the RH300G3+, but I THINK the power amp has a single 12AT7 in the power section to add some tube flavor and warmth. The preamp is SS.

The T2 and V2 have the same power section, but a hybrid preamp section. 3 12AX7s. The T2 has the tubes running at all times, while the V2 has a solid state clean and gain 1 channel, while gain 2 is all tube.

Seriously, don't sleep on these amps. They put the Triple Recto I had to shame in the low end department.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  10. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

Speaking of which..Imma be "that guy" for a moment.

Ya don't need THAT much low end to play guitar..you just need to fill out the space to keep it from being thin

Konfyouzd and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  11. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

They’re selling for so little there’s no reason not to if you’re in the market for a used solid state amp. Mine was missing some knobs:
    [​IMG]
    Check out the transformers they use:
    [​IMG]

12. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Line 666

^^^ Looks like a Warhead :lol: I just love these amps.

The newer RG-series heads (RG1503H) have a bass boost on/off knob that helps you dial in just how much low-end and girth you want.
    You can tailor the low end to sound slamming and boomy as a Rectifier, no problem. I keep mine on but roll back the bass to 11 o'clock.
    That, along with the mid-scoop on-off knob, and addition of face-melting channel 3, makes it an ever more versatile, usable amp than the older RG-series.
    It sounds better IMO and fixes all the issues of the old RGs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

If you want absolutely stupid amounts of low end its going to come down to the cab you're using. :2c:

efiltsohg and Necky379 like this.
  14. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

Speaking of transformers; I'm almost positive half the weight of the Randall T2/V2 was the fucking tranny. :lol: Every time I picked it up, I'd always lean right because the transformer was so beefy.

0rimus and Spinedriver like this.
  16. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

Hell if you wanna stay with Randall, some of their current cabs are ported.

18. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

True. I was just looking for a something to use as a SS poweramp with some more low end. My Mosvalve sounds perfect other than the lack of low end thump that i get from big tube sections.

As for the cab i’m running an Avatar 4x12 with g12k100s and v30’s along with a Texas dragon 212 with a pair of Eminence Legend V12’s.

I tried an Orange Dual Dark 50 into an Orange 212 yesterday and holy crap there’s all the low end thump I’ve been missing. This leads me to believe it just has to be the poweramp limiting my rig. I was hoping to stick with solidstate to avoid the maintenance and quirks of tubes.

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

Randall made some bass amps that I THINK used the same Valve Dynamic tech as the V2/T2. The RB300, RB500, and RB750. I was gonna recommend them because they're rackmountable. Just run into the FX loop and bam, massive sounding poweramp. All you need to deal with is one single 12AT7 tube you might need to change once... ever decade. :lol:

And yes, that's exactly why I ditched my Mosvalve. It's just WAY too lacking in the low end.

20. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I just tried this with my RH. I have a friend working on a song and instead of going the di box vst route I went bass->DOD Milkbox->RH->di box cab sim on/load box->interface->daw eq. Much more involved than our usual setup but we’re both happy with the results. I don’t have an actual bass amp to compare it to but this is going to be the setup for bass from now on. Again, thanks for the tip, this works really well.