Biggest gear ownership disappointment

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BurningRome, Mar 27, 2021.

1. jjcor

jjcor SS.org Regular

As far as gear I hated the PRS Archon. The amp sims of it with the Helix sounded better than the actual amp.

And my most hated guitar was Mayones Reguis 7. The no arm contour sucked for how big the body was. I like other flat top guitars but couldn’t vibe with Mayones. Maybe one day I’ll try a Reguis core or Duvell.

2. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

What input in the back would you plug in the cabinets to for the Triaxis? Sorry if this is a dumb question btw

3. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I’ve bought that SD PS170 as a power amp for my hx stomp. Underwhelmed with the result.

4. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

The biggest irony is that my bandmate has the Mesa OS 412 cab and the 2:90 poweramp, since he wanted a Triaxis ring from the beginnning. But I still haven't managed to try it into his rig because his lazy ass won't carry the 2:90 to our rehearsal place! :lol:

Not sure if I inderstand your question. The only input the Triaxis has in the back is the guitar input.

If you mean outputs, you can't connect it directly to a cab. You need a poweramp and connect the cabs from the poweramp outs that match the cab impedance. You should use the Triaxis line outs for this. Also, the Triaxis has a direct recording out, which is meant to go direct to mixer (with a rudimentary cab sim). Never used it, since regular out with impulses is way better.

odibrom and BenjaminW like this.
  5. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

Duncans SH4/SH2 - I got it as tried and tested combination for rock/metal for my custom guitar as they were used by most of the brands if they used passive pickups at that time. they sounded pretty meh IMO

jarledge likes this.
  6. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

Dimarzio Dominion. Everyone was singing its praises so much I thought I couldn't go wrong with it. Turns out, in my already middy guitar, that pickup was all mids and nothing else. Palm mutes sounded anemic, and the top end sparkle was gone. I couldn't stand it.

7. TimSE

TimSE Tone Chasr Contributor

Mesa Boogie amps. Any of them, at least when in my hands :( I assume its me just having no clue how to dial these things in but I just cant get an enjoyable tone from them. Its always too much flubby lows and too-sharp top.
    Like the sound of tearing paper to my ears. Rip me

The SG King, WarMachine and budda like this.
  8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pointy purveyor

Which specific mesas have you tried?

TimSE likes this.
  9. TimSE

Single rec, Dual rec and MkV

budda likes this.
  10. VESmedic

VESmedic SS.org Regular

Far and away, the SLO. What an overrated crock of shit for anything other than 90s rock and leads. And even then, I can make 8 of my other amps sound better for it. Huge pass on that bloated no low end thing.

The SG King likes this.
  11. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Port City OS vertical 212.
    So bassy, so boomy, uncontrolled low end. Couldn’t wrap my head around the hype at all. I avoid ported cabs since

12. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

I've owned and played a lot of stuff I didn't gel with, but the standouts for me are:

Amps:
    Every Recto. Tons of my favourite records have had one on there, but in the room, I don't think there's an amp I've hated more than a recto. The only amp I remember vividly hating even nearly as much is the VH4. The Stiletto is hands down the worst amp I've ever played through.

PRS Archon. Granted this was an early model, but it was like PRS took a 5150 and tried their hardest to make everything worse, and they succeeded. Unusable effects loop.

Diezel VH4. I read nothing but praise for years about them, finally found one to try and it was absolutely awful.

Guitars:
    A 2014/2015 Skervesen Raptor. Probably to this day the worst built guitar I've ever seen in person. Misaligned bridge, abysmal fretwork, separating neck laminates, tool marks galore, two stripped tuners, pickup routes you could swim in, and lifting binding.

Aside from not gelling with the endurneck, I don't think I've encountered a more consistently poorly manufactured brand than Strandberg. QC issues everywhere. Id say the Washberg I had briefly was 10 shades of awful, but the stain kept lifting off every time I touched it.

Pickups:
    Every Lace pickup ever.
    BKP Aristides Customs, Juggernauts, Trilogy Suite, Aftermath.

There's definitely more, but these are the first to come to mind when I think of the worst gear I've seen/had.

WarMachine likes this.
  13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

If you're using a Mark V and the lows are too flubby then you're not dialing it in right. The bass needs to be either off or as close to 0 as possible, and the treble needs to be set fairly high. Then you do the actual sculpting with the 5-band.

I can see the highs being grating on the Mark V if you have the 2 treble sliders set too high though, otherwise the biggest complaint with the Mark V seems to be it sounds a bit too boxy and midrangey rather than too flubby or bright.

TimSE and XPT707FX like this.
  14. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

kind of agree, F series are the only mesas I've found to be remotely plug-and-play

The Orange sound is big iron and big glass, not tiny baby micro amps, don't be put off by toys any more than you'd be put off Fender from a frontman 10

15. TimSE

To be fair, this was like a decade ago for the mkV and was totally me not really knowing how to use the amps at the time. Given one now to play with might give much better results as I know how to find the info to dial these things in. But still, I think I just dont like the "Mesa Sound" of that type of gain.

Ive heard good things about the Fs and I think Ds so I would enjoy having a play with one. I want to like them! would love a Mesa phase but nothing yet. Not even a wiggle.

WarMachine likes this.
  16. EmaDaCuz

EmaDaCuz Brutal yet soulful

I would say Laney IRT Studio.

I bought it back in 2014 and tried to love it, but ended up selling it eventually. It had great potential with lots of interesting functionalities, great EQ, integrated boost but I found that it sounded good only through the matched 1x12" cab. With any other cab, even good quality EVH or Mesa, there was no oomph and a very harsh unpleasant distortion.
    Also, the kind of distortion is a bit meh. Good for "heavy metal", but too much for rock and too little for brootz. Its bigger brothers (IRT60 and 120) sound great, though.

17. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Mesa Mark III.

I tried 3 times with 3 different stripes. I like all the other Marks I've owned and tried better.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

There's something about the Mark III that sounds different than the rest. I always felt it had this slight modded Jose Marshall sound to it.

Emperoff and Kyle Jordan like this.
  19. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

I haven't tried the real thing, but from the Triaxis modes (IIc+, IV and III), the III was definetely the most different and sorta "british" sounding of the bunch.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  20. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Yep, I feel the exact same way. I liked that less about the Mark IIIs initially, but over the years, I've found myself gravitating more towards that tone. Might explain why Lead 2 Red on the Triaxis or it's sims nearly always ends up being my go to. I can usually get really good tones without using an EQ in front even with my 8 string.