Biggest gear ownership disappointment

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BurningRome, Mar 27, 2021.

1. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

That was the one I hated the most. Then again my tastes were much different then. Plus i didnt know nearly as much as I know now about dialing pedals in.

But I remember thinking every tone had a rounded (not tight) low end and mushy undefined mids.

Ted Pikul likes this.
  2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

What about the delays and reverbs werent doin it?

The zoia scares me, the poly digit seems more manageable :lol:

3. Ted Pikul

Ted Pikul SS.org Regular

Hated...the most?

It's my thumpiest high-gain pedal. Neighbors don't like it. It could be tighter. In fact it could use a tightness knob like my amptweaker pedals have.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Guess i'm throwing the Alexander Sugarcube into the mix. Amazing sounding pedal (except for the borderline-useless Rotary), but holy FUCK the noise was really bad. Apparently other Alexander pedals from the same series suffered noise issues, so it's what's been keeping me away from trying it again.

5. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

What year was the UL?

They made some significant changes over the years to that amp and in MY opinion the early ones are garbage.

I had a 1994 UL and a 100CL. The 100CL smoked it in every way.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pointy purveyor

I don't remember exact year but it was def early 90s. My current 100CL is from the mid 2000s iirc and has wayyyy more gain/can get much more saturated comparatively.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  7. USMarine75

To be fair I think I had already previously posted about how disappointed I was with the Keeley Monterrey.

Regarding Empress... I only had the Multi and the Heavy. The Multi I remember liking some but not loving any of the tones. I didnt like the fuzz.

The Heavy as I said was woody no matter what I did. It could totally have been used error or preferences at the time... I'd be interested in trying now.

The Reverb I cant give a fair review because it was DOA.

But overall I was left with a bad taste... much like HHTJH after getting a bad Alexander (my Silver Jubilee is awesome).

Ted Pikul likes this.
  8. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I wanted to love the Heavy because the feature set is killer, but ultimately let it go. There was a harshness or graininess or something to the mids that I couldn't unhear once I heard it.

Ted Pikul and USMarine75 like this.
  9. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

They're cold, percussive, and rather lifeless. They sound horrendous in the studio. They really do kinda suck. With better speakers it'd be better off

10. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Most disappointing piece of gear for me was the AxeFX II. Next to that EMGs.

sirbuh likes this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Adding to this; Duncan Full Shred. Sounded and felt like a lower output JB.

Also thought the DiMarzio Super 2 was supposed to be a tighter, brighter Super Distortion... Nah. If anything it actually felt muddier?

12. USMarine75

I take back the Empress comment. It's not even close.

Another thread just reminded me of the Lace Alumitone and Deathbucker. Hot garbage right there. I spent a lot on the pickups and install in my JEM. And wow they were so bad. And they were worse in any split or combined settings. The only good setting was the Lace single in the middle lol.

budda likes this.
  13. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

The Seymour Duncan Black Winters.

I wasn't expecting them to revolutionize my tone or anything but the stock pickups I had were dry and not there, so I swapped them for a BW set.

They aren't horrible but, the stock pickups in my other guitar beat them so bad that if I ever swap them out again I'm getting another set of those..which wouldbe considerably cheaper. THOSE should be called Black Winters, honestly.

The more I play them the more I realize they aren't worth the money, not only that but marketing them as a black metal pickup is silly since they miss the mark. Ah well. It's not on my main guitar and they sound good when layered with other guitars so not a total loss. I don't care enough to change them but if I did care they'd be gone.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    jarledge likes this.
  14. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

keeley monterey = garbage. qed

USMarine75 likes this.
  15. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I was dissapointed or underwhelmed with:
    1. Orange Micro Dark - I hated it even as a practice amp. Looks cute, though. Sounds stiff and awful.
    2. Orange Dark Terror - farts out when dimed. Not so loud. Not tight. Fuzzy.
    I guess I don’t like Orange sound...
    3. Kinda Strymon Riverside - honky and strange sounding for me and my setup. These mids are a nightmare to eq out.. Sometimes I like it.., Yes I am strange ;-)
    4. Poontang Boomerang - delay by Steel Panther. As much as I like [email protected] Melter, I hate that delay pedal. Noisy and strange/intrusive. I am spoiled by Strymon delays..
    5. EVH 5153 LBX (1st gen) - not loud enough for band playing, very noisy, honky mids, unpleasant, nasal tone. Pots with pops and crackles. Returned it within 3 days.
    6. Boss Katana 100 combo (1st gen) - lots of tweaking and using hidden amps to achieve passable tones at best. I swapped the speaker but it helped just a bit.
    7. Kinda underwhelmed with Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 - really lifeless and stiff sounding power amp. Together with HX Stomp is Tweak City.

16. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Mesa Boogie Triaxis

I loved the thing as a studio preamp, but never actually tried it into an actual poweramp+cab setup until today.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am by not doing it sooner. It destroyed every other piece of gear that was in that room (that includes our eardrums). Holy shit...

So yeah, my gear is also severely dissappointed by its owner :lol:

Hollowway, r33per, XPT707FX and 9 others like this.
  17. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

@Wolfhorsky most amps fart out when dimed. A good power amp for modellers is neutral - if you want tube attributes, best to buy a tube power amp.

Thaeon likes this.
  18. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

God... The Triaxis is such an insane piece of gear. There’s not much that stands up next to it.

r33per and Kyle Jordan like this.
  19. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Yo pair it up with a Mesa Strategy! Oooof! Enough to get sued by the whole neighborhood.

r33per, Thaeon and Kyle Jordan like this.
  20. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

This is going to be weird, but when I bought my first tube amp. It was a Bugera 333XL Infinium. After all I'd heard about how good tube amps, and how heavy Bugera's could get, I was left in disappointment. First day, popped a fuse, second day, power tube went out. A few days later, a 6505+ 120 head came in and I traded the Bugera and some cash towards it. Now THAT'S what the fuck people were talking about. Still have that head 9 years later, and recently started using an EQ in the loop when I thought about changing my flavor of amp. That EQ made sure it's going to stay. :lol: