Biggest gear ownership disappointment

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My biggest disappointment was when PRS went overseas with the SE line. Broke my heart and killed the ether of PRS for me.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Ask an ye shall receive! The treble side was way worse than this. You can see how it’s undermining the frets, too.

View attachment 92061

Zoomed out... not the worst thing I've ever seen.

Zoomed in...

RJFilmSchool-gross-gag-xUNd9IMywss6NTIghO

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And here is that Ibby. It’s hard to capture how different the colors were, but you get the idea. It just nagged at me, and I couldn’t unsee it.

View attachment 92064

Yeah the headstock and body look like two different guitars. I would not find that "acceptable variance" either. The headstock is probably the color it was supposed to be?

ManOnTheEdge

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had a few Vigier Excaliburs and then snagged a one-off single pickup model which was a sizeable outlay.

took it home and restrung and the nut had been cut too low which meant that the previous strings had cut into the wood behind the nut.

could have gotten it fixed but I just went for return/refund - excellent guitars but I’d expect perfection for what was £3k 10 years ago

on the upside, it took some of the allure off of high-end guitars and I’m much less of an impulse buyer

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah the headstock and body look like two different guitars. I would not find that "acceptable variance" either. The headstock is probably the color it was supposed to be?
Yeah. The body ended up a lighter, washed out version of the proper color. Nick said it didn’t happen to any of the 6 strings, though. I guess some people where ok with it, which is why Nick went ahead and sold them as they were. But I was super bummed.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
I hated my Vader cab. I tried so hard to convince myself into liking the tone, but found myself lusting after basically any other cheapo cabinet after playing on the Vader for a few months.

hazimwood

Old Яomans
Reaction score
Right, so, couple things... I did use it with a tube screamer and it was better but still didn't really 'crunch up' until I pushed it to the point I was doing less overdriving and more distorting with the pedal. At that point you're kinda using the pedal more as a preamp than just boosting with it, which I thought was uncharacteristic.

What I did not know is that, you're right, they had no qualms with sticking lots of stuff infront of them. I see a lot of parametric EQs and things like the SD-1 etc that really made the amp a different animal. Also, most of the iconic stuff were modded to hell and back AND had pedals infront of them, there's definitely very little raw JCM 800 happening on those old recordings. I didn't realize how much like the older Marshalls those early 800s were, they were more rock and roll amp than heavy metal amp.
Like Jeff henneman used a modded MT-2.

sonoftheoldnorth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hated my Vader cab. I tried so hard to convince myself into liking the tone, but found myself lusting after basically any other cheapo cabinet after playing on the Vader for a few months.
What didn't you like about it?

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mesa Dual Rectifier. My first expensive tube amp as a teenage, bought it because a lot of people that were famous were using them. I tried it in the store and thought "I can work with this at home and it will be great because it is an awesome amp pros use." Took it home and spent a good three months fighting with the stupid thing. There was nothing wrong with it, I just hated playing through it. Other people would play through it, dial it in, whatever, sounded great. When I'd play through it I felt like I was fighting to get every single note out. Traded it for a Carvin X100B, tube screamer, and a Hush noise gate (and a bunch of cash) and immediately liked playing the guitar again. I was so mad about not liking that amp when I was 16, lol.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
God I find it hilarious people still have this gatekeeping mentality towards budget brands. :lol:

I mean, this was over 20 years ago, and I definitely wasn't the only one that was shocked or disappointed at the time. Funny enough, my guitar teacher at the time and I made a bet if PRS would ever make a 7 string. He said never ever ever ever ever.

diagrammatiks

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean, this was over 20 years ago, and I definitely wasn't the only one that was shocked or disappointed at the time. Funny enough, my guitar teacher at the time and I made a bet if PRS would ever make a 7 string. He said never ever ever ever ever.

to be fair those first set of se's were just vaguely prs shaped guitars.

I had like 3 of them when first came out.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Empress pedals. All of them.

loganflynn294

I don't feel good
Reaction score
Diezel Herbert MK2. Most underwhelming high dollar piece of gear I've ever owned. On paper it's great, has a ton of cool features and a lot of headroom. No matter what i did I couldn't get a satisfactory high gain sound out of it. Tried a million different boosts and eq pedals but nothing worked. People say they have a "smooth, polished sound" and that is 100% correct. Ended up just using it as a power amp for a Bogner Fish rack setup I had. Bought an old Uberschall Rev 2 and immediately put the Diezel up for sale. Guess I just don't get along with the Diezel sound.

Latest posts