Biggest gear ownership disappointment

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BurningRome, Mar 27, 2021.

1. The Blue Ghost

The Blue Ghost SS.org Regular

Not to come of as a Strandberg hater but when I tried a Made to Measure and Vader back to back in a shop the Vader just smoked it in terms of comfort and playability in my eyes (or hands I guess).

The Strandberg felt weirdly cumbersome and bulky despite weighing as much as a feather.

2. pearl_07

pearl_07 SS.org Regular

The Seymour Duncan Nazgul 7 was awful in my experience. Thin and honky with way too much fizz for my liking.

I was stoked when I got the Schecter KM-7 (first version), but I was so turned off by the Nazgul and some factory wiring issues that I sold the guitar almost immediately.

Electric Wizard and Matt08642 like this.
  3. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard guy incognito

Honestly every 7 and 8 string I've had. I really want to like them but could never dial in a tone that I was pleased with and sounded balanced. High strings and low strings always competing in a way that I never feel on a 6.

4. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

Boss multi effects. Sold all my pedals to but the new (at the time) flagship Boss GT-8. HATED the heavy sounds, and lost a lot of time reading forums and making some weird stuff to try to get a better sound.

Years later, just with a cheapo setup, bought a boss GT-1. Meh, still the same COSM processor, still the bad tones. At least with earphones, everything with a bit more gain sounds really harsh to me. Right now i'm messing around with it..

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Is the Boss GT-1 based on the 100 series or 1000 series?

6. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

GT-100. Same as the Katana line.

Honestly from what I've heard of the GT-1000, there doesn't seem to be much improvement anyway...

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yep that's what I expected. The GT100 series is okay, but the GT1000 line doesn't... really sound that good for the price. :lol: I saw some videos where it sounded decent with 3rd party IRs, but those tend to make anything sound decent.

Then again, there was that one dude here that swore the GT1000 wiped the floor with both the Helix and the Axe 3. :ugh:

Dineley likes this.
  8. Emperoff

I do have a GT100 (which I bought to replace a GT8). Although the amp models kinda suck, the FX are pretty good and it's very easy to use and navigate. I use it as a MIDI controller+FX unit for my tube amp and it works pretty damn well. No interest on upgrading to anything since it gets the job done and it's cheap.

The assigns feature is also super useful, allowing the trigger of up to 8 different parameters (FX on-off, gain increase, eq changes, or whatever) without changing presets.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

That's honestly what I was looking at the GT100/1000 for. Heard great thing about the GT series effects. But then Line 6 released the Helix and it was closer to my thing, due to how good the routing is.

10. Emperoff

Sure. The GT-100 is half the price, though. Since I'm using a real amp, I have no need for better ampsims.

11. Bite the Strings

Bite the Strings SS.org Regular

Framus Cobra(one of the later models with the external bias points) - Lots of unwanted low-end and gain, a terrible tendency to be fizzy as hell and weirdly unbalanced channels. A bit like a badly adjusted rectifier without the flexibility to get to the good sounds. Also a complete pain to get into because you basically have to deconstruct the whole headshell including the metal edges. Had red light though!

Fame Stingray 5 String clone - Fame instruments have a pretty good reputation around here because they were made(back then) by a polish factory that also made high end instrument. The one i got was very heavy, had dirt underneath the finish on the neck and worst of all: the frets were apparently routed out before installing and there were huge filled areas around the fret ends, atleast a few mm in diameter. The filler they used wasnt even properly hardened, i could reshape it with my fingernail. Customer service claimed everything was perfectly normal. Of course...

Also not Guitar related but: Elektron Digitakt(and Digitone to a lesser extend) - you can argue about all the software limitations of this thing but the real dealbreaker are the goddamn clunky triggers. They are LOUD!, as in youll need some proper isolating headphones to not be overwhelmed and it gets worse, the damn thing resonates at a pitch whenever you hit a button. Have fun ignoring constant dissonant noise! You can also look past the buttons straight onto some PCS inside because the gaps of the triggers are that big. Dont wanna know what happens if water gets near it. Went back in less than 24 hours after elektron support claimed the noise is normal because of their 'high quality' triggers.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I had been refraining from including my "learning" gear, but I've definitely had a whole bunch of multi-effect pedals before that did a few things ok but most things terribly. I used a Digitech RP3 for a long time - which had some "cool" for the time chorus effects and stuff, but the gain on it was a tin can full of bees with no dynamics that responded horribly to volume controls. The pedals themselves on it were just cheap microswitches that kept failing so I'd re-solder new ones back on until I just gave up 'cause it wasn't worth repairing anymore. I feel like I've had similar experiences with Boss multi-effects, but at least I've never broken one yet.

I also went through a lot of Behringer stuff. I had a GMX212 combo that was... a reasonable practice/learning amp for the time. At one point I disconnected the amp and used it as a cab, but it was terrible sounding as a cab and the speakers weren't very loud. The controls eventually got really scratchy. I used one of their Ultrabass amps for a few months until it set a cab on fire then never worked again. Went through a mixer or two, but if I'm remembering right, the mic inputs would break off of them. I've had trouble defending Behringer stuff - I don't trust them.

13. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

FTFY
    Honestly, it’s a wonder they sell any guitars off the shelf in GC at all, as they’re all sorely lacking in setup.

One of my biggest disappointments was an in-stock bass I got from MG Bass. The frets were sanded down like a Gibson fretless wonder. The luthier is a nice enough guy, so he built me another one. The frets weren’t flattened, but the action still needs to be fairly high to play.

I also got a Gary Kramer Guitars R727. It was supposed to be scalloped on the higher frets. But it looked like those horror stories you see online. The binding was all gouged up, it was filed under the fret ends in placed, etc. I told Leo Scalia, the designer, about it, and he said that it’s not really that bad, in that it doesn’t affect playability. And then there were two drill holes in the binding at the 24th fret mark. I asked him why there were holes there (that went a few millimeters deep) instead of the side fret markers like the other locations. He said they thought it would be a cool feature, and that’s why they designed it that way. I thought that was a load of BS, and sold the guitar.

My last entry to this thread is the 7 string Ibby Prestige in Rhodonite Pink that Nick at the Axe Palace did. For whatever reason, the HS of the 7s looked good, but the bodies were a way lighter pink (like pepto colored). As soon as I popped the case I asked Nick about it, and he said he had already been in touch with Ibanez, and they told him it was within tolerance. But it was a completely different color. So I returned it. (And bought a significantly more expensive ESP from him. :lol:)

Edika, USMarine75, Masoo2 and 2 others like this.
  14. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

My biggest disappointment was a boss pw10 vwah. It was the second pedal I ever owned and it was when I learned how garbage cosm was. I ended up trading it years later for a ds lite with mk super circuit and pokemon diamond and it was the best trade I ever made.

15. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

This is off SSO script, says here it ends with you buying another RRT5 and King V. :lol:

16. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Late 90s MIM Telecaster Thinline Deluxe '72 RI. I put way too much enthusiasm into it before I got it. It was well made but turns out I didn't jive with the frets or vintage neck at....alll. Plus the pickups were not doing anything for me but they were an odd size IIRC. So sold it onward and replaced with a new RG570 that I had sold for the Thinline.

17. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I’ve found that sometimes I REALLY am
    Jonesing for a guitar, only to find out later it was just a passing infatuation. I almost think it’s good when I can’t find one FS right when I want it, because then I have to wait to see if the “want” passes. So here’s my thinking.

1) if you wait a couple of weeks, and still want it, you’ve got a guitar you’ll probably want long term.
    2) if you wait a few years, and still want it, you must have ordered a custom. Who knows if you’ll even be alive when it arrives.

possumkiller, Millul, Edika and 3 others like this.
  18. Emperoff

Little story. I once saw what was the closest thing to my dream guitar, but was hella expensive. At some point I decided to buy it and send the store an offer... Just to find out it was sold out. I felt relieved. No more thinking about it, no money dilemmas, etc.

Two years later I decided to buy another guitar that wasn't quite "it" but was cool enough and at a very reasonable price. And 3-months later, the first one pops up for sale on Reverb, and I did not have the fucking money. So back again with GAS anxiety and money dilemmas...

I finally pulled the trigger. Had to borrow some money, though. Turned out to be the best playing guitar I've ever had, and it's not going anywhere. One year later Jackson bumped their USA prices around 1-2k, so fucking glad I got it.

So my point is, if you really want something, you know it. We always have these little "whims" with this or that gear, but they are nothing to lose sleep over. If you have the change to snag what you always wanted, do it. Worst case scenario, you can always flip it back. Whatever it is.

Hollowway, Ribboz and Kyle Jordan like this.
  19. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

:worth:

20. Protestheriphery

Protestheriphery SS.org Regular

This past year has hit me with tons of pandemic-inspired GAS. Every week found me craving a different guitar.

The one mainstay, however, has been a Gibson SG '61. I eventually caved in and bought one, only to end up returning it after a month. Neck was fatter than Id hoped for, couldnt gel w it.