Biggest gear ownership disappointment

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BurningRome, Mar 27, 2021.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That's sort of one of those general rules that apply to most high gain amps. Get them loud enough to push the speakers, then use channel volume/gain to taste. Contemporary high gainers are predominantly preamp based, with big and fairly cold power sections.

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

IMO the DSL40CR just needs a better speaker. (And maybe expectations kept in check for high gain sounds at a budget.) Even the "better speaker" in the CR version is kinda harsh and brittle sounding to my ears, so I can only imagine how bad the non-CR version was. Through a decent cab though, it's a pretty decent mid-gain amp IMO. I've been considering getting / making a head shell and ignoring the speaker entirely.

3. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

JCM2000 DSL's have just gain and master volume (or channel volume if you will( for each channel and no global master volume. The DSL40CR seems to have global masters too.

From what I remember of my DSL50 it sounded much better cranked through an attenuator but then again all amps sound better when louder.

IMO Marshall just doesn't know how to build a master volume amp that actually sounds great at nearly any volume. I have no problems getting those classic Marshall tones out of my Bogner Goldfinger 45 SL or BluGuitar Amp 1 without powertube distortion ever entering the equation.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  4. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

I used to own a Marshall JVM, 50W version. I was actually impressed how they managed to construct a 50W tube amp that was tweakable at lower volum settings compared to Orange and ENGL amps that i had. It was not great at bedroom levels, but far better than other tube amps ive played.

I once played a Silver jubelee Marshall om a small stage. That beast went from no sound, to glass breaking levels - nothing in between. The sound guy was not impressed.

5. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

The JVMs are probably the only Marshalls that do the hi-gain preamp thing right. I'd probably have the JS if they weren't soooo many issues with them (since their build quality is far from spectacular).

6. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

As much as I love my 2203, I still kick myself for not taking a chance on a JVM after playing one at Guitar Center. Had all the gain I could ever need and want while still being a Marshall which had been high on my GAS list for years, and was absolutely capable of getting whatever kinds of sounds I wanted.

Instead, I had to compromise with virtually one tone rather than twelve with the red, green, and orange modes for each of the four channels. This isn't to say 2203s are bad amps, I just wish I had more range with it. Even though I say that as I very rarely use clean tones.

Emperoff likes this.
  7. Patrick R Hearn

Patrick R Hearn SS.org Regular

Randall Thrasher. It read like everything I wanted in an amp. Fortin designed gainstage, perfect for low tunings etc. It was so stiff and sterile. It ripped pretty hard at drop B and above, but anything below that got muddy. I tried to tighten it up with an OD808, but the input can’t be goosed very hard and it starts clipping. It has the most glorious clean channel I’ve ever heard, but that wasn’t worth keeping it. Got a 6505+ and I’m a happy boy now.

8. angryification

angryification Bite back with Kent Brockman!

Totally agree. I tried the DSL40C in a GC a few months and absolutely loathed it. Totally not what I expected. It sounded way to tinny.

9. Estilo

Estilo SS.org Regular

Are the current iteration the same as the JCM2000 DSL's of the past which are known to be made in the UK but have faulty circuits from the onset?

They've certainly been making the rounds of late. A certain popular metal YouTuber who cannot be named here named the DSL20 his gear of the year for 2020, and an old Slayer rig rundown video showed Gary Holt running 4 DSL100H's (non-R) for his Slayer gig.

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

They dont seem to. From what I read the problem with the originals was bias drift due to misprinted boards. I'm sure they fixed that with later revisions and the current run.

And yeah people do seem to like the DSL. I know Gary Moore's amp of choice since 1997 was the DSL, apparently even up to his death. He was one of the first endoesees and stuck with them. But IMO the Marshall JVM is the ultimate Marshall and I wish they'd do more with that (lunchbox amp, noise gate on the standard version, etc)

11. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

No. The JCM2000s had issues with bias drift on the earlier DSL50/100 heads while the DSL401 combo has to be one of the worst designed amps because it would overheat and develop cold solder joint issues.

I used to have a JCM2000 DSL50 and it definitely did those Gary Moore tones really well. It just didn't sound all that great turned down so I ran it through an attenuator. It was best used as a single channel amp because getting anything more than a compromise out of the two channels was impossible. Either the 2nd channel was thin or the 1st channel was tubby. My DSL50 also had the bias drift issue and the preamp board would always flex if you were changing the preamp tubes, feared it might break.

It's one of those "sounds good but just don't buy one" amps to me. There's more modern stuff that I would take over the JCM2000 series any day.

Afaik the current DSLs don't have those issues and should have better channel EQ balance too. I haven't tried them so I can't say for sure. The DSL40CR is popular because it's an inexpensive Marshall combo. The DSL20 heads and combos are also pretty cheap. What surprises me is that they don't make a DSL40 head because that would probably be a big seller - enough power for any gig and a decent feature set. Maybe they think it would cannibalize their other lineups too much.

12. swollseyba

swollseyba SS.org Regular

1. Both Recto variants that I have owned (Rev-G Dual Rec & Roadster)-so frustrating
    2. Quad Cortex is a cool piece of gear but I couldn't help but feel let down after all the hype and being in the tier 1 US preorders. It just wasn't ready to be released and all the promises of what it will eventually be capable of feel like bullshit. It should have been shipped with the plugins included.
    3. BKP Juggernauts were super underwhelming for the type of tones I like. I think the pickups are great, just not for me.

I love this thread.

13. Estilo

Estilo SS.org Regular

Yeah I thought we were referring to the current make of the DSL line, the first mention of the DSL was the DSL40CR being a disappointment, not the DSL401. And yeah totally agree it's puzzling they don't have a DSL40 head. I was seriously looking at the DSL20 but wanted a master volume, and they are prone to QC issues though such as the hissing and the volume drop between channels.

14. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

That sums up my history with all the Marshalls i've had & tried. Either some of those qualities or all at the same time. It's difficult for me to say anything good about them. I've not tried a JVM, but i don't think there's any point since i discovered 5150 and "super" Marshalls.

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

I think the JVM was the first Marshall designed with a clean Soldano/5150-style power amp in mind. Where you can get most of the good shit from the pre section and not need to get the amp to bleeding-ear levels of loud to get *The* sound. IIRC even the JCM2000s needed a good loud volume to get optimal tones.

BabUShka likes this.
  16. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

Its a great amp. I was afraid that the 205 (2 channel 50W) version didnt have enough options compared to 4 channel 100 w beast. But it covered everything I would ever need and more. A noise gate and switchable power output would be amazing.

17. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

I had the same experince with BKP Painkiller set. Big fan of BKP, and. The Painkillers were great pickups. Super clear, great string separation, tight. But way too compressed for my taste.

18. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Yes. The JVMs are the first Marshalls to do the preamp gain thing right at sane volumes, BUT their powerstage is anything but clean. It still has 100% Marshall DNA and if you try stuff direct into it you can hear it right away.

I was actually quite surprised on how much the poweramp is a part of Marshall's sound even with their more modern offerings.

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

I'd love a JVM210 with the JS mid shift and noise gate. Would be the perfect metal Marshall.