Biggest gear ownership disappointment

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BurningRome, Mar 27, 2021.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

It does sound different from what I can tell. It's a bit smoother.

TheBolivianSniper likes this.
  2. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

I just didn't specify, the bridge was still incredibly dark and congested with low mids. Like it barely had the signature 81 high end, it was great in standard but the instant I hit that low C it was mud.

3. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

Maybe, but I spent at least a solid week trying to warm up to them, and they still sounded like shit to me in the end.

Then again, I’ve yet to find an Eminence speaker i actually liked. The Governers were probably my favorite, but even then, they were just OK.

youngthrasher9 likes this.
  4. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

This technically doesn't count because I only played this at Guitar Center today, but the neck on the EVH Striped Series Frankie they had in stock was kind of a let down. The neck profile was too flat for me. Sounded fucking amazing though!

5. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

They seem to have an extended bass response when palm muting. Has that been your experience, almost like the palm mute rings out for a few more seconds?

6. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain

They have more bass response in general IMO, but if it muddy or crowded it’s probably needing break in time IMHO. I can’t really describe the sound of mine out of the box well, but I’d say cardboardy, brittle, and still bassy. AFAIK each speaker probably sounds a little different during the break in period.

7. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

Yeah I just got a new one to pair with my other one and though I know it isn't at its peak, the thing still handles my B standard PRS SE 277 really well, especially Nazgul loaded.

youngthrasher9 likes this.
  8. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I love my mark 5 but damn yeah they really don't feel THAT varsatile. They have a lot of controls but it's less like having a bunch of options and more like having to enter a combination on a lock.

I still love the three tones I do get out of it though. Don't get me wrong.

9. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Just curious, did you run it through a good FX loop in an amp? I feel like that’s the best way to introduce yourself to modelers if you’re used to playing real amps. That takes away the live sound vs recorded sound aspect and gives a much better indication of what the modeler sounds like vs the amp(s) you’re comparing it to.

With all that said, nothing wrong with just not liking something.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  10. sevenfoxes

I first ran it through my 6505’s loop. It sounded fine, but i really wanted to run it through a dedicated power amp, so i bought the SD Powerstage 170, which did make a minor improvement.

Overall, it just sounded and felt like an emulation of the real deal, but how can i fault it when that’s technically what a modeler is?

Don’t get me wrong, i thought the FM3 sounded great for the most part, was pretty easy to operate, and was really the best floor modeler I’ve ever tried. I also thought it got crazy close to some amps (the 5150 was one of the most convincing ones).

I just had ridiculously high hopes for it and was honestly expecting it to sound and feel just like my recto. I think the tone was somewhat in the ballpark, but the feel was completely different.

That being said, I’m honestly re-considering buying the FM3 again, as it could be the key to kicking my unhealthy tube amp obsession. Lol.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  11. Deadpool_25

Gotcha. Yeah the FM3 didn’t exactly kill my GAS but it along with the Stealth kinda have I think. Kinda. I think.

Perge and sevenfoxes like this.
  12. sevenfoxes

I gotta ask then, why didn’t the FM3 kill your GAS?

13. Deadpool_25

A gearwhore gonna gearwhore

cwhitey2, 0rimus, Perge and 3 others like this.
  14. PuriPuriPrisoner

PuriPuriPrisoner SS.org Regular

Mine is either the Satan 100 or a Caparison TAT Special 7 I had. The Satan had almost no low end and sounded awful. I could not get a sound I liked out of it. The Caparison's neck was super uncomfortable (and I'm not very particular about neck profile). It was thick and blocky. It also had a Floyd so, naturally, it was missing a lot of low end resonance. That doesn't bother me too much normally but the guitar was so fucking bright and trebley. Even after changing the pickups twice, it's sound was way too brittle.

15. sevenfoxes

True dat!

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  16. sevenfoxes

That surprises me about the Satan. I’ve never played one, but with a name like that you’d expect the floor to quake!

17. sevenfoxes

Just bought an FM3 :shrug:

18. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

I bought a Mesa Mark V:25, twice. The second time convinced me I just don't like small bottle amps. The amp had a nice tone, but it had no balls to speak of. Also, not a lot of headroom on the clean channel, and channel two would start to fart out if you went too high on the master volume. Sold both of them and swore of EL84 amps after that.

I used to own a Victory Kraken 50. Honestly, it was unusable, the thing used to feedback if you added any mids to it. Crazy squealing even if you weren't in front of the amp or doing anything to cause it. It was just a really bad design flaw, and if you look on the web (as I did later), you'll find that tonnes of people have the same problem. Add that to the fact that the cleans weren't really clean and I sold it.

This one might surprise everybody, but a Mayones Regius 6. I traded a Triple Rec, a Soldano Avenger 50, and a Hesu 1x12 for it. I really, really regret trading those amps away, such a dumb move. The guitar itself was quite nice, just ugly as hell. Really, looking at it was like looking at a vitrified tile. So goddamn ugly. I was lucky to later be able to trade that plus a small cash top up for an OD Guitars Venus 6, which is not only a better looking guitar, but much better sounding and playing. Wasn't sad to see it go.

The Hesu I mentioned above was the worst speaker I've tried so far, and the only one I didn't keep. The Demon speaker was just shrill as hell, and I didn't have the patience to break it in. It might have been the cab itself, just a very tiny sound. I've heard good things about the 2x12s, but this was definitely a no-no.

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

One of my best buds had a Mark V25 and a Mark IV. Sold them both for a TriAxis.

We never talked about the V25 after he sold it. But he always talks about how he regrets letting go of the IV. Like seriously, we spent like a month figuring out how to get him a good tone out of the V25 but it never happened. When he got the IV it was a night and day difference. Only reason he sold it was because he's a James/Troochi fanboy and wanted what his idols used.

20. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

The Mark V 25-watt is just too small to be used as anything other than a practice amp, IMHO. It has a nice bark, but there's no bite to it. That's a pity, because the tones are quite good, they just don't have the girth to compete with practically any larger amp. They don't sound too bad recorded, but give me a bigger amp any day.

I missed out on a Mark IV just a while ago and have been kicking myself. A Triaxis would be nice, but had heard Mesa wasn't servicing them when they failed as the parts were unobtanium, so have held off on pulling the trigger.

Seems like Mesa Boogies have been going up in price lately, as has everything else. And you can't find a lot of models like the JP2C. People like them and are holding on to them.

I really want to try a 2C+ someday, I have a feeling that it would be a fun amp to play. There's one without the EQ on it on Reverb and the guy wants almost $5k for it. Way out of my budget, but I'm sure someone will buy it. They are all the rage these days.

Wish I was prescient and bought this stuff when it was still going for cheap and still available in larger quantities.