Biggest gear ownership disappointment

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BurningRome, Mar 27, 2021.

1. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Curious what your other 2 PRS. I have 3 and they are all completely different from each other. My oldest is heavy and feels more like a Les Paul. The new ones are light and sound punchier. Out of the 3 the latest I got, the DW sig is the best in terms of build quality and sound. It easily beats my CU24 and 22. There's a lot of talk about how PRS is very consistent and I think that's probably true for samples of the same model but I feel they make tweaks over the years and the models vary greatly despite looking the same.

The Corgan Strat is awesome. There's not many of them around though.

2. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

The biggest gear letdown wasn’t amps or guitars, but a pair of Swamp Thangs.

Those have to be darkest, muddiest, unclear speakers I’ve ever heard. Totally useless.

Another huge letdown was the Orange 2x12 cab. I don’t know if it’s the thick weave grill material, but I couldn’t believe how muffled those bastards sound (i went through 2 cabs just to see if the first one was somehow defective).

Oddly enough, i actually loved the cab for cleans. But as soon as i kicked on some distortion? It sounded like a thick blanket was covering it. Never again. Lol.

3. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

Blackstar. Never again. Felt like a tube amp from wal mart. All those knobs and buttons and still managed to sound boring and generic. Still sorta feel bad for the blooz dad I traded an HT60 212 to for a MM HD130 212.

I could've given him two of those things and still come out on top of that trade.

4. Crungy

Crungy SS.org Regular

Mine was a Line6 M13. It's not total crap, but I was expecting there to be something more modern to it with the delays and verbs. I felt like it had a selection of effects from late 90's early 2000's multi effects... I'd almost take an RP7 over it.

That said, it's not crappy. It's well made and there are a lot of good basics in it. If you need a lot of the basics for not a lot of money and don't mind it's giant footprint it's good.

Deadpool_25 and Alex79 like this.
  5. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The overdrive/distortions were not worth much but I liked the rest of the effects and it was very easy to use. Had one over 10 years ago.

Crungy likes this.
  6. VESmedic

VESmedic SS.org Regular

SLO by freakin far… big, big oooof.

No, it wasn’t a crate practice amp obviously, but it just didn’t even come close to living up to the hype after wanting one for almost 20 years. Great cleans, killer leads, abysmal for anything else, and absolutely terrible low end.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I'm trying to figure out why people claim SLOs smoke the 5150 in terms of tightness and clarity. Every time I've heard the SLO, it sounds pretty damn woofy in the low end, even compared to an OG 5150. It nails that late '80s, early '90s hard rock/hair metal tone, but... Eh? :lol:

VESmedic and works0fheart like this.
  8. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Yeaaaah...SLOs are holy grail amps if you're really into that 80s sound. Rich, harmonic, and loud. But it's a rock amp just by itself.

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  9. sevenfoxes

Actually, my most recent regret was the FM3. I was completely underwhelmed by it. I even tried it through different power amps, but never had any luck.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s by far the best modeler I’ve ever played, and very amp like in a lot of ways. Some of the amp models are excellent, while others are mediocre at best.

But expecting a digital modeler to produce the same wall of sound, kick to the dick, recto roar that only a 150w triple rectifier can deliver was a bit foolish on my end.

Ironically, i was even thinking about picking up another one, giving it another chance, but my instincts tell me I’d end up with the same results.

10. Symo

Symo SS.org Regular

both 24s artist packs one is a 10, way cheaper second hand. The corgan will never go for sale.

Mind you loving the Ormsby, might sell some gear for a custom 7 from a British company daemoness look good as do carillion

neurosis likes this.
  11. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

Mad Professor Loud N Proud was probably the worst purchase ever. Bought it to try it as a Marshall Preamp into a Two Notes Cab M. It was not the style of Marshall I enjoy or thought it'd be, and it sounded like absolute shit. Utterly terrible pedal. Only pedal, as a matter of fact, that I've ever returned for sound reasons alone.

Bought two Tech 21 Character Series British pedals, and have had it in my setup since. It is definitely the sound I've spent thousands on trying to get from a pedal for ease of moving reasons. The rest all sounded alright to awful, but the Tech 21 British is the one.

12. Reet

Reet SS.org Regular

BKP Juggernauts stand out as something super hyped that i was really disappointed with. Mine caused more feedback than anything else i've had and pinch haromics were way harder than normal. Also i love 5153's but every 6505 i've played sounds awful in the room. On an album its huge and been on some of my favorite albums but man what a mess to my ears in the room.

13. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

You're not far off. The effects in the M13 were taken from the Pod XT series and that was first put out in 2002. I don't know when the M13 came out but it literally was just a Pod XT minus the amp sims and each effect had it's own display screen. Since I already have a few different amp modelers, I bought an HX FX board and I think it sounds pretty decent (mind you I got mine for about $300 less than it is new, so that helped deciding to get one quite a bit).

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I thought the M13 was released a year after the POD HD, but I'm wrong. A year *before*. The M13 was released in 2008 and the POD HD in 2009. SO yeah, being XT/X3 modeling makes sense.

15. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Yup. I noticed the same behaviour with pinch harmonics compared to my other guitars.

Reet likes this.
  16. sevenfoxes

That reminds me, i had bought some Bareknuckle Warpig pickups, and the bass was so over the top that they were pretty much useless. Aside from that, the tone was just very generic, and ugly sounding.

I’ll never bother with Bareknuckle again.

17. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

Any jackson from later than 1995, I've hated every single one I've touched. Had a little with a 90s MIJ, very impressive. Had the 90s fusion I had been true HSS I wouldn't have sold it. Nothing feels the same as those old ones and new JS stuff is hot flaming garbage.

EMGs that aren't the 57 or the 81 in the neck. Everything else just is so clangy or scooped. Do not like. The 81 in my ESP sounded good but that was such a dark and thick guitar it didn't work too well for the COB riffing I bought it for.

Generally disappointed by Duncans. I'm a distortion fan, the JB is pretty cool, but anything else is blehh and Duncan designed stuff is pretty shit.

Loved my 6505, didn't like the recto I traded it for.

Gibson and Epiphone stuff just doesn't have any life to it. I don't really like strats, the schecter NJs kick their ass any day. Love teles and jazzmasters tho. Not an EVH guitars fan and I really really don't like the 5153, it sounds nothing like a 6505+ even if they're both 5150 derivatives and that is not good.

Brainworx Engl Savage 120 sounds nothing like a savage, just woofy low gain bullshit. Only sim I own that I don't like. I love saturated and decently tight, it does neither. The rockerverb 100 sim has more gain and is tighter.

Dimarzio crunch lab is all smooth and boom. Nope.

18. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

Probably a typo here, as I doubt anyone is doing COB rhythm parts on the neck pickup.

19. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain

I can almost guarantee that you didn’t break your swamp thangs in enough. They sound all sorts of weird before they’ve had at least several hours at medium to high volume.

20. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I keep thinking about replacing an 81TW with a regular 81, because I swear it doesnt sound nearly as good as the plain old 81 sounding.