Biggest gear ownership disappointment

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BurningRome, Mar 27, 2021.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I guess it's to do with hot rodded/boosted Marshalls being the top dog around the time so they tweaked it to be that way. I love the 3 but if you're dead set on the classic IIc+/4/5 sound then it probs won't be your thing.

protest and Kyle Jordan like this.
  2. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Yep, I agree on both points. I think more so with the IV/V because they're definitely more modern sounding.

3. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Too bright, right?

4. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Laney IRT. It’s not bad, just not what I wanted.

Yamaha THR10x, the metal amp for your desk that was totally hyped when it was new. It didn’t live up to that.

BKP Holy Diver. In fairness, I probably expected the ultimate guitar pickup which everything good from the JB and more, more, more. Surprisingly soft and warm overall. Not good for the guitar it was supposed to go in.

0rimus likes this.
  5. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Yep. Balancing the presence, treble, and high end sliders to get the tightness and saturation I was used to on a Mark was impossible for me without making the amp too bright. A lot of people have this problem with the V, but I've found ways around that which I tried on the III and it didn't work out.

6. Chebax

Chebax SS.org Regular

I had an early Raptor too (2013, I believe). My experience was very much like you described.

But the funny thing is that I ended up with a 2020 Raptor 7FF and it happens to be of the best built guitars I’ve ever owned (and I’ve owned lots). Kudos to Skervesen for the dramatic quality improvement, I’m still impressed.

So stay away from the old ones, but new Skervesens are gold (IMHO, of course, YMMV).

7. Solomon Monagle

Solomon Monagle SS.org Regular

Can relate, my old studio was rubbish. Weak palm mutes, really struggled to handle any tuning beyond E standard even with proper pro setups, and worst of all a weak ass truss rod that would warp at the slightest temperature change and ruin playing beyond the 9th fret. Selling it was amazingly satisfying though.

Matt08642 likes this.
  8. Solomon Monagle

Can agree with this, Neural IR cabs are flat and lifeless. And the plugins themselves are grossly overrated - shoutout to every home recording metal band in my area who insist on recording through it atm, your tones are GReaT.

9. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I genuinely don't understand how people use the Neural built in IRs for the plugins. I never made it past a few minutes jamming with a NDSP plugin till I turned off their cab section and used my own IRs, though that might just be because I'm very used to them.

Solomon Monagle likes this.
  10. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

I've had so many people try to sell me on Neural's shit...and I go listen to what they recorded and think "Yep..none for me please "

11. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Digital stuff. I just can't gel with it. I got used to that immediate reaction playing normal amps. Even a solid state amp feels better to me. Digital FX on a normal amp is ok. I just can't do the full digital amp thing. It was always hard for me to pin the exact reason why it didn't feel right but then I was reading an interview with a shuttle pilot that was previously an Air Force test pilot. He says that the fly by wire system in the shuttle has a distinctly different feel than the analog controls of planes he flew before. He says that when he moves the controls on the shuttle, he can tell that he is talking to the computer and then the computer is moving the controls. It feels the same way for me with digital amps and amp sim software. I can get good tones but the feeling of disconnect between my playing and what comes out of the speakers is really off putting.

BlasphemyMadeFlesh likes this.
  12. SubsonicDoom99

SubsonicDoom99 SS.org Regular

Unfortunately not weird or uncommon regarding Bugera because that would be my biggest regret too I think, or at least one of them, as I had a bad experience with the 333XL amp. I thought it sounded brilliant but it didn't last long. That company was notorious for their amps breaking down soon after purchase. I was told they fixed that later on but I was too hesitant to try and sink any more money into it just to find out. Wound up going with a JetCity 100 watt head, which I was nervous about at first too, but that's lasted me years and other than swapping out for some better tubes, it's been a killer amp so I'm glad I made that choice.

13. Solomon Monagle

Fully agree with this! out of curiosity, what IR's do you run?

14. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

My go-to for high gain is OwnHammer 412 Trad (Specifically OH 412 TRAD V30-MB1 L 599B). Basic V30 IR but sounds great with everything I've tested, especially my 6505MH head. Definitely a must for all the Neural plugins I've tested as well.

Solomon Monagle likes this.
  15. Solomon Monagle

Nice. I haven't bothered exploring too much beyond a few ENGL cab IR's (all about those low mids) but same principle applies, a solid V30 ir.

16. Symo

Symo SS.org Regular

PRS Silver Sky.
    I own 2 CS strats a FSR USA and a Billy Corgan (awesome strat) and thought despite it being a Mayer designed thing I ‘should’ like it. At this point I should 2 other guitars I own are pre 1991 customs which I bought 2nd hand they are great, the silver sky sucks balls. Somehow it just sat wrong on my body, the build quality is not up there with my two other PRS, and thought it sounded flat. Sent it back a week later got a full refund as someone didn’t want to wait.

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

Did I ever bring up the EMG 81X? Because EMG 81X. :lol:

The 81 is my favorite metal bridge pickup. But I hate the 81X with a passion. Took what makes the 81 great and neuters it.
    OTOH I don't really like the 85 in the bridge. Too much pickup for the bridge position... Yet I fucking LOVE the 85X. It's like they took the 85, toned it down a lot, and gave it a brighter, sparkly high end. The 85X is how I wish the 81X sounded.

sirbuh and Werecow like this.
  18. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I avoid this whole pickup hunt by just leaving my 81 in the bridge like the lord intended :lol:

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

I try to, but I love to try new things all the time. Always curious about trying different stuff. I had to cave and try the 85X/89X because I was told really good things about it. Lo and behold, it's great. I save the 81 for brutal shit while the 85X is the more "versatile" pickup. I got the 89X in a H-S-S Strat right now so I can still have all the proper Strat sounds

Matt08642 likes this.
  20. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Are you me? :lol: I went through exactly the same experience. I bought an ESP EII Horizon that came with the 85 in the bridge. Everything felt and sounded flubby and congested, with no attack in the palm mutes. I tried to order an 81 for it, but accidentally ordered the 81X instead, that sucked as well :lol:
    So that was the latest unintended pickup adventure i've had, and i'm done with experimenting now. It's either the 81 for actives or Bare Knuckle Juggernauts for passive.