Biggest gear ownership disappointment

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BurningRome, Mar 27, 2021.

1. BurningRome

BurningRome SS.org Regular

What was your biggest gear ownership disappointment?

For me it was a trade with Daniel Laskiewicz of the Acacia Strain for his Randall Satan for my Fryette Deliverance 120's.

That Randall Satan was the worst "expensive" amp I'd ever owned, by far. The level of twang that was underlying through the gain channel was terrible. I was running it through a Fryette 2x12 and a guitar with Dimarzio Super Distortions and was tuned to an dropped open C tuning. I had tried various guitars through this too along with other cabinets.

Note: We both did the trade without being able to test each others amps due to not being local to each other. We both went in blind to what we would be getting.

SandyRavage likes this.
  2. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

A Gibson Les Paul Studio. It had the most horrible flubby palm mutes that you just couldn't tighten no matter where or how hard you muted. I know it was probably a duff one, but i've never been remotely tempted to get one since.
    It was doubly disappointing because i wanted one so badly beforehand that i saved up with a summer job, and lived on instant noodles solely to get it haha.

Solomon Monagle and BMFan30 like this.
  3. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

A Dual Rec.

Everybody that has one loves them because how brutal they are, they sound brutal recorded, I mean

but apparently Mesas take some tweaking and I'm in that small handful of metal dudes that likes the Orange way of doing stuff. Gain Volume Tone, turn the gain and volume all the way up tone that way to sound like Dime, tone this way to sound like Tom Petty.

4. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

A Soldano GTO tube preamp clone I got from a company named XtoneBox. The thing was beautifully built, point-to-point soldering, top quality components, etc. But the tone just didn't cut it for me. It was too dark and flubby sounding.

It only had a single tone control for controlling the EQ and the clean tone had no tone-shaping at all. It could have probanly worked better as a regular pedal instead of the full preamp it claimed to be, but the bypass switch muted the signal, so...:shrug:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    BMFan30 likes this.
  5. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

Definitely my hands.... no matter what I try, I just can't get them to play well. :(

6. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Neural DSP stuff....those plugins literally made me angry.

nightlight, Veldar, Reet and 8 others like this.
  7. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic "That" guy.

Maybe a little off-piste, but...my laptop. I got it to start using it as a live rig, and while its performance is more than up to the job, I'm not optimistic about its overall longevity. I'm a little over a year into owning it, and I've got at least one bad fan bearing, a non-charging battery scare that I THINK I fixed but that appeared for no obvious reason, and some flimsy plastic supporting the ethernet port retaining clip that broke inside of a few weeks (haven't even used the port...).

I'm definitely going to be building a rack mount desktop rig, I just wish I had done that the first time. More bulk, but more power and longevity for basically the same money.

BMFan30 likes this.
  8. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

BOSS GT-6. I had a Yamaha DG80 at the time that sounded just miles and miles better for literally everything.

9. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Probably my H&K Warp-T. I sort of had this very passionate 2 weeks where I was trying to source one, and all the clips were low quality sounding like there was a great amp there tucked away behind shitty phone camera mics. And of course, German made, no reason to really think poorly of it. I was offering some Aussie guy like $1100 to ship it (or a Warp X, same thing) to me in Japan, before buying one here for like $400. But just uninspiring to have. I actually recorded some really crushing sounds with it before packing it up for the next owner, but I just had 0 desire to interact with it.

10. migstopheles

migstopheles SS.org Regular

Every pedal I have tried from Old Blood Noise Endeavours has sounded like shit. They all seem to have this thing in common of sucking all the low end out of your tone, even the fuzz sounds thin and raspy

The SG King likes this.
  11. Jammer

Jammer SS.org Regular

Not too many bad purchases over the years but the POD Pro and HD500 were complete garbage. I’ll never touch a piece of Line 6 gear again.

12. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Mesa roadster. It came with prestige and options, but I should have bought a 5150.

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pointy purveyor

VHT Pittbull UL w/out geq. I spent the better part of a year looking for a UL but the one I got wasn't my thing at all, so I sold it. It was just too stiff feeling, too dry, too boomy on the low end. I love my UL module and CL100 head . They feel way more saturated (but can still feel a bit stiff and dry) and are more in line with how a lot of people described their ULs.

Randall V2 Archetype. I couldn't find one for a decent price in the states, so I imported one from guitarguitar. Clean channel was decent, nothing special. Solid state channel was fine, tube channel was cool, kind of a recto/5150 vibe but much tighter. I liked the amp til I recorded it and noticed a weird sub bass/low mid thing it had no matter how you dialed it in. I ended up selling it since it didn't stand out amongst my other amps soundwise.

Hollowway and BMFan30 like this.
  14. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Midnight Amplification Giant Sound. Sunn Model T preamp, my ass. It did virtually nothing. Added the tiniest bit of gain and max volume was unity gain. Traded it for a Tronographic Boxidizer and was much, much happier.

15. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

POD XT Pro.

I mentioned in my Axe III thread that the desire for an all in one box has been with me for 18 years. It started with the XT, so I bought an XT Pro in early 2004. I ended up disliking it so much that it not only turned me off digital gear in general for almost a decade, but it turned me off of playing in general for a time.

Distant second place would be the Mesa V-Twin pedal. The silver lining here is that in order to make the V-Twin sound better, I entered the world of EQ before and after the preamp. This was in ‘99 and since then have never been without an EQ before the amp or device/amp sim and usually a second EQ in the loop of after the sim but before the speakers/IR. Magnificent and powerful tools. And the best way I have ever snatched victory from the jaws of defeat guitar gear wise.

Scott Swoope and Ted Pikul like this.
  16. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Way back when I first started playing (and had NO idea about amps) my mom got me a new amp for Christmas and it was a VERY used Univox 720 K keyboard combo amp with a 15" speaker. Thing didn't work right from the day I first used it. Even took it in to a shop to get it fixed and when I got it back, it worked for a little bit but soon after just kept making horrible buzzing sounds whenever I used it (I was running a Boss HM-2 into it at the time). I feel bad because I had a small Peavey 15 watt combo and wanted to jam with some friends but we got totally ripped off buying that 720K.

That and years later I bought a used Vantage 'superstrat' style guitar that had a Floyd Rose style trem on it and after using it for less than an hour, one of the strings broke and the whole thing went out of tune. Took it back the next day.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  17. broangiel

broangiel SS.org Regular

Exactly me. I held onto the Roadster for sentimental reasons, where I should have flipped it to continue exploring the amp world. I didn't realize how bad of a fit it was for me until I got an Axe-Fx and really started to explore different amp tones. I found out I'm more of a hot-rodded Marshall/5150 guy than a Recto guy. A Mark would've been a better fit for me too.

BMFan30 likes this.
  18. Randy

Randy ✝✝✝ Super Moderator

JCM 800 2203

They're kind of the core of all those 80s/90s metal amps but raw, it isn't particularly gainy at all. I mean, everyone knows you need to crank a Marshall to get "the sound" but I turned this up ludicrous volumes to get "huh, that's pretty good Alice Cooper tone" but that's kinda it. There's a multitude of amps that break up way sooner that still sounds just as good IMO. Also realized I'm not a big fan of 6550s

Strobe, WarMachine, BenjaminW and 6 others like this.
  19. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I had a Marshall Lead 100 (Mosfet) head and although people swear up and down that it sounds 'exactly' like a JCM800, I was kinda disappoined by it. Granted, I never thought to run an OD pedal in front of it but the Valvestate 8100 that I traded it in for sounded a LOT better.

BMFan30 likes this.
  20. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

It must be the most disappointing because it comes to mind immediately...

The Keeley Monterrey. Its everything I should love all in one box. I think the univibe part was okay on it's own. But I literally struggled to get any good tones. I had saved and waited and I was sooo disappointed.

At first glance thought that said "6505". Whew. Thought you might be having a stroke. Everyone knows...

F - facial droop
    A - arm weakness
    S - speech difficulties
    T - thinks a 5150/6505 isn't the best amp ever