Bias Amp Desktop tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vertibration, Nov 9, 2016.

1. vertibration

vertibration SS.org Regular

I thought I would share some tips and tricks I discovered to help those out who are looking to improve their amp matching skills, and also how to get a much chunkier gain stage without the flubbyness. This is for those who dont know, some people already know this.

Flub - The one thing I always hated with Bias Amp was how no matter wtf you did, it always sounded flubby most of the time when any sort of bass eq was set on the preamp stage. Ola Englund uploaded his Ola Bias Head Rhythm preset, and I noticed something he did that was not very prominent in the tone cloud. He used a graphic EQ directly after the amp, and cranked the level to max. It wasnt my cup of tea at first, but when I dropped the 100 and 200 on the EQ, I was able to get some serious chugs without an overdrive pedal in Bias FX.

Amp Matching - I noticed that when I try to amp match using IR's, it always sounds weird like a tin can. If I want to amp match to old tracks of tube amps I have, I always have to use the Bias Amp built in Cabs. I tested something out that worked out extremely well, so that you can use any IR you want, or any Bias Cab you want, and it will not affect the Amp match in a negative way at all.

What I did was removed the Cab IR from the tube amp track, then removed the Cab from Bias Amp. I matched the preamp sections without any IR's/Cabs. That way, I could go back after, and add any cab I want and it wont give me that crappy tin can sound. I tried this with a bunch of IR's and they all sounded great.

Maybe a bunch of people already know this, but I though I would share for any new users of Bias Amp who may be having a hard time dialing in a good tone:shred:

2. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Interesting topic ... thanks ... I hope further tips from others will follow.

3. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

Been using Bias FX for about a week now, and found adding a stereo chorus at the end of the chain, along with boosting the 10 band EQ at 500-4K, really gives me a thick and grindy tone.

Also, tried using Bias with some third party IRs and though it sounded terrible.

Maybe the next custom option Bias will have will be the ability to switch out different speakers in their cab sims?

4. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

The same applies to the stereo reverb.