Better to have loved and lost? The "I shouldn't have sold that" thread

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by nightlight, Mar 8, 2021.

1. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

Man, I've let go of some beauties in my time.

Exhibit A: ESP Horizon FR-27 - 27 frets, scalloped from 12 onwards

[​IMG]

Exhibit B: Mayones Regius Custom - this had a piezo bridge

[​IMG]

Exhibit C: ESP Horizon-II Bass - Five string with superb tone

[​IMG]

Exhibit D: Soldano Avenger 50 - It's an old Soldano that sounded awesome boosted

[​IMG]

Some of that gear is so hard to find that I am kicking myself now.

Leviathus, Masoo2, BMFan30 and 2 others like this.
  2. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I sort of regret selling my ESP M-II neck through, because it was super sweet. I changed my mind about wanting a floyd guitar after getting it and that's why I sold it. (Only then I changed my mind again and bought another floyd guitar anyway.)

Whatever though, I have guitars so I'm good. I'm trying to be a bit minimalist, I feel burdened having too much stuff. It feels good not having more than I need.

3. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

All of it. I regret every gear sale I’ve ever made, most notably, my very first guitar and my Carvin Legacy rig.

The first guitar was a BC Rich NJ Series Warlock with a Strat-style trem. It was Cadillac pink and I traded it for a cheap ass, Playboy (By Rolls) distortion/chorus pedal that sounded like absolute ass. I’ve spent 5 years trying to find the same model NJ Series but the Strat-style trems are fairly rare. Low and behold, someone on another forum just happened to have one they bought to flip, it’ll be mine in a couple weeks.

The Legacy rig was the first big purchase I ever made and I stuffed a LOT of burritos to make that happen when I was in high school. It was the first run of both the head and cab (the original cabs came with Greenbacks). I sold it because I realized after a couple years that I was way too into Vai and needed some separation. I had 90% of his 99-00 touring rig and every time I’d go to jam with people I’d hear the “Oh here’s the Vai kid” and was met with the expectation to play like him relentlessly. Fair ‘nuff.

Also, I sold a Mesa Studio Pre for $125 because when I got it, I didn’t know I had to run it into a power amp/return of my amp and plugged it into the input. When it sounded like shit, I boxed it up and put it on EBay. Ugh.

I don’t sell gear anymore. At most, I’m trading a Line 6 M5 pedal towards the Warlock because I literally only bought it for the reverse delays, which I can do all day in my AxeFX.

Ted Pikul and nightlight like this.
  4. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

The only real regret I have of all the guitars I've owned is my CS Parker Maxxfly 7. Far and above the most incredible and versatile guitar I've ever owned. I sold it because the bridge wouldn't accept gauges over a .58, and I didn't want to drill out the bridge to accommodate larger gauges. In hindsight I should've just dealt with it and kept it in B Standard, but I sold it and I've regretted it ever since.

nightlight likes this.
  5. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

This guy... :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BenjaminW, Masoo2, BMFan30 and 7 others like this.
  6. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

The '00 S7420 I bought brand new off the rack and very foolishly sold in '05. I cringe everytime I think about selling it.

nightlight and slan like this.
  7. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Damn, that shit's nice.

BMFan30, gunshow86de and slan like this.
  8. slan

slan Fallen Shrines

I had one and sold it a few years ago too. Always regretted it. Luckily I was able to buy another one for a great price from an SSO member last year! They're out there!

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

I regret selling this all the time since it was one of the best sounding 8 strings I've owned. The lundgren M8 set was perfect in this guitar. Aesthetically I wasn't really a fan of it, but it sounded and felt so good that I was willing to overlook the previous owner's questionable design choices. This is probably the only guitar that I truly regret selling. Most other gear I've sold I did so because I just didn't mesh with it, or it didn't hold up versus some of the stuff I already have.
    yuss2.png yuss5.png

BMFan30, Yelir and nightlight like this.
  10. slan

slan Fallen Shrines

I took a hiatus from music a few years ago and sold pretty much all of my gear on Reverb. I parted with an Axe-FX Ultra, a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, a really nice HSS Fender Strat, and a Dunable Yarnhawk. I miss these two the most:

f4xlzetbvztanwpzo5gu.jpg mrgsopqrtx17ip8bbhms.jpg

11. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

No regrets, because I've actually never sold a single thing, guitar, pedal, amp, pick, cable, nothing, book, CD, nothing.

12. Pietjepieter

Pietjepieter SS.org Regular

same for me, I know I will regret is later...

When I was younger I dumped my Elka X705 (kind of organ / synth) infinite regrets...

BMFan30 and nightlight like this.
  13. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

I'm sorry, are you fellas lost? You're supposed to constantly buy and then sell as soon as you see something else you want, losing a bit of money every time.

14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Don't have a picture handy, but while I've owned and then sold some pretty cool shit over the years (highlight was a RG7CST), the only one i really regret selling was a RG1527 in galaxy blue. That particular guitar had the best neck I've ever played on a seven. I sold it because it had a set of DActivators in it when I bought it that I really didn't get on with, but I have a feeling had I swapped them out for something else with rather than just selling, ultimately I'd have sold my PWH and kept that one. What a killer feeling guitar, but because those pickups were just oddly thin and sterile, I never played it, and I don't like owning guitars I dont play...

I sold it to a buddy, who traded it to someone else on a different board, who in turn sold it locally, and has no idea where it ended up. But if anyone ever happens to see a 1527 in blue sparkle with an impossible-to-remove "Top Secret" sticker behind the bridge, let me know. :lol:

nightlight likes this.
  15. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

25th Anniversary RG550 in Road Flare Red, I picked up a beat up RG570 that I feel is an equal to that one but man do I wish I kept that thing. One of the few guitars I purchased brand new and I kept it pristine.

Peavey Wolfgang Special in gold. The prices are so high now I’ll probably never get to replace it. Besides feeling bad I sold it UPS cracked the paint in the shipping process so the guy that bought it from me received it damaged. It should have never happened because it should have never gotten sold.

SC607 all maple sunburst. This one has a happy ending, I missed this one so much I tracked down another and finally replaced the one I sold. Not selling this one unless something crazy happened.

80’s Peavey Butcher, again used prices are getting pretty ridiculous on these. I did pick up a keeper Roadmaster that I like as much as the Butcher but I should have kept the Butcher in my collection of keepers.

Close call:
    ‘06ish Gibson SG Standard, the first nice guitar I ever got. I saved up for a long time to get it right after High School. After randomly picking it up at a local shop I had to have it, put money down and came back every couple weeks to pay it off before finally bringing it home. To this day I’ve never come across a better Gibson SG. My guitar teacher at the time felt the same way, he wanted it so bad and I knew it. A clean 70’s Ford Highboy F250 came up for sale and I needed a new truck so I started scrambling to figure out how I was going to get it. I agreed to sell him my prized SG so I could get the Ford before it sold. I showed up with the guitar, he had cash in hand and then last second I backed out. He wasn’t happy, I felt like dick, in hindsight it was the right choice. If I had to sell everything else the last things to go, in order, would be my SRC-7, then my 5150 and last the SG.

nightlight likes this.
  16. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

I don't have a picture of it, but I had this string thru Jackson King V w/ a flamed maple top in butterscotch stain finish.

It wasn't even top of the line, was probably in their budget tier. I sold it for like 300 (at Daddy's Junky Music RIP!) cuz I needed college books. But there was something about it, it played great, looked more expensive than it was, and the previous owner had put in Seymour Duncans, which sounded pretty good for what they were.

If anyone has any suggestions for what it could've been I'd buy another one in a heartbeat for sure

nightlight likes this.
  17. Randy

Randy Taste the Rainbow™ Super Moderator

Allan Holdsworth owned Carvin HH1
    holdsworth.jpg

Newburgh-era Steinberger GR4 (also Holdsworth autographed)
    GR4.jpg

Pristine-condition Steinberger ZT3 with the nicest top I've ever seen on one of these
    zt3.jpg

BC Rich Virgin N7 w/ Mockingbird Headstock, my first 7-string and first successful mod project
    virgin.jpg

slan, Masoo2, Rosal76 and 5 others like this.
  18. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    I bought a Japanese Jackson Roswell Rhoads loved it but got into a tight spot and sold it for rent money and I've regretted it for about 18 years but what bugs me even more now is the prices for them have gone through the roof over the past year or so and I actually saw mine going for almost two grand last year (I only paid £450 for it back then!)

My other regret is an Ibanez SG clone from the 70's in a natural finish it was 1996 and it was my first guitar with humbuckers so 17 year old me tuned it too drop-d and endlessly ploughed through Soundgarden/Alice in Chains/Helmet/Deftones riffs until I lost it when I moved house.
    I see similar models of that era pop up on ebay now and then but they go for silly money as it seems like people know their worth these days but back when I bought mine the store owner seemed so desperate to get rid I thought he was going to pay me to take it away! :lol:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    nightlight likes this.
  19. Randy

Randy Taste the Rainbow™ Super Moderator

Ooph that hurts to read.

20. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I sold a JS2400 that I regret to this day. Thought I “needed” a 7 string at the time and boy was I wrong. I’m also left handed so they are hard to come by and super expensive if you do....