Best VST reverb for room simulation

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by X1X, Feb 6, 2021.

1. X1X

X1X SS.org Regular

I want to add one after the amp section simulation for playing with headphones so it would sound and feel more like playing through speakers in a room.

2. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

I think you might need a convolution reverb?

X1X likes this.
  3. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

You could try the Waves NX stuff for that. It’s supposed to make headphones sound like a control room. T Racks Sunset Sound is a great convo reverb, and Ocean Way Studios is incredible if you have UAD. Waves IR1 is a great value too. There’s like 4GB of free room IRs you can download from their website for it too.

Cyanide_Anima, BMFan30 and X1X like this.
  5. X1X

X1X SS.org Regular

Thanks, I'll look into these

BMFan30 likes this.
  6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Another thing worth a try is rather than trying to model a room via a reverb plugin (and there are a number of acosutic space simulation plugins that go a bit beyond a reverb effect, though those get pricy fast) is it might be easier to just find some IRs that are supposed to simular the "cab in the room" sound, rather than a close-mic'd cab sound. I'm a strictly real amp guy, but a buddy of mine who uses an Axe went down this rabbit hole, did find some, and was pretty happy with the results.

That's the crux of your problem, though. Amp VSTs are generally trying to model a recorded amp tone, which anyone who's spent any time at al micing up an amp will tell you that an amp sounds VERY different from 10' away and maybe 6' off the ground, than it does with your ear right up against the grill.