Best value Jackson soloist?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by stinkoman, Jan 24, 2020.

1. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

So I have been going back to 6 strings lately, and after playing Ibanez for a while and want to try something new. I've been thinking a Soloist would be a nice change of pace, but don't know much about Jackson's and what models and years to look for. So what is the best value Soloist out there for $500-$800 new or used? I am open to any of the pickup configurations they have done.

2. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

Current Pro series (SL2/Sl3), 90s professionals, late 90-early 2000s MIJ Sl3s pop to mind, a current X series (SLX/SL3X) with budget room for mods/upgrades if desired.
    FWIW I grab my modded SLX more than I do my 90s dinky pro.

stinkoman likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

MIJ jacksons are the best bang for your buck imo. Current xseries are still pretty hit or miss.

Manurack, Adieu, Loomer and 4 others like this.
  4. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

Used MIJ Pro is 100% the way to go. Even now those things are still punching far above their weight.

cwhitey2, Manurack, Loomer and 3 others like this.
  5. FancyFish

FancyFish bruh

I still love my SLSMG, so if you can get your hands on one of those, I would say that.

Manurack, Kobalt, Werecow and 2 others like this.
  6. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

If you're interested in buying a new one, proaudiostar is having a sale on a few of their DK2 models. These are made in Mexico which I heard has pretty good quality control. They also got real Duncan's and Floyd's... Never owned one, never tried one myself.. But at $499 it seems like it's worth a shot, if you don't like it you can always return it. I've been seriously considering buying one. https://www.proaudiostar.com/landing/new-years-guitar-sale.html?manufacturer=903

I buy used guitars all the time, but there was never 1 that I bought that didn't have some sort of problem, most of the time easy fixes, but still it's more money and time spent.. not to mention that guitars aren't returnable if it's a person to person sale... If you do go for used, buy it from somewhere that has a decent return policy..

stinkoman likes this.
  7. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

I've owned pretty much every type of Soloist you can think of , USA, Japan , Pro, etc. The one that I would recommend if you'd want a fixed bridge is the SLS3. SLSMG is also a good one but the SLS3 that I owned had better quality components. Both are Japan.

Right now I also own a early 90s MIJ Professional Arch top but those are now being sold for over 1k minimum. The 90s Pros are great guitars too if you find one for a good deal get it.

If you like a Trem version, SL3 is the one that comes to mind.

stinkoman likes this.
  8. Rossness

Rossness D A D F# A E

You might be able to find a usa soloist for $1k. They play differently to their import counterparts. Well worth it imo.

stinkoman likes this.
  9. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Yeah at that budget you’re awful close to a used USA, and they definitely pop up for $1k—they also sell fast at that price. Worth the patience to save up a little extra for one or to wait for the right deal over all the other stuff being mentioned IMO. That’s easily the best value SL.

stinkoman likes this.
  10. Kobalt

Kobalt SS.org Regular

THIS.

However, most people who own them know they are very valuable and won't let them get away for stupid cheap money.

FancyFish and stinkoman like this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Are you willing to try a Dinky? Because it's hard to beat the DKMG or DKMGT.

Strobe, IbanezDaemon and Kobalt like this.
  12. Asdef

Asdef SS.org Regular

Hi there! What do you think about current MIM DK2? Both ash or mahogany/fixed bridge. Is it worth buying new?

13. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Sometimes you can see Jackson Stars and Grover Jackson Soloists pop up on Ebay for 700 to 800. I would recommend those since they are MIJ and are more quality instruments. There are also post 2004 Pro model SL3s lying around. This one is a bit more expensive since it is fixed bridge and a bit harder to find. The other is 800 bucks free shipping.
    0CAE067D-0E89-4762-B4B5-57664EDC3AE1.png 6AA1D292-814E-43E1-8088-F4C45D8A9BD6.png

Or you can save for a few more months and aim for a used USA Soloist at 1000-1200 range. If you don't like it, you can sell it for the same price.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    wannabguitarist likes this.
  14. sell2792

sell2792 SS.org Regular

IMO the newer to brand new Pro series necks don’t feel great. I’m sure it could be corrected with some basic refinishing but the Charvels in the same price range feel significantly nicer.

If you can track them down an 80s Charvel (Model 4/5/6?), 90’s to early 00’s MIJ models, or a used MIA model would be your best options for the money.

stinkoman likes this.
  15. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

which is a huge reversal from just 3 or so years ago when they would pop up for $300 all the time

even though you can't get them for that kind of money any more, they spent such a long time at criminally undervalued prices I think they are still the all time champ for Absolute Best Value Guitar... then they handed the baton to the USA made B7s and B8s which still go for ludicrously cheap, although they've trended up lately too

the SLSMG was maybe the absolute best deal but yeah they've appreciated finally and aren't a steal anymore. Latter day DK2Ms are good. If you like pointies the RR24 was fantastic. The 90s Pros have appreciated as well and I don't think qualify as great deals anymore, considering the sheer age of the guitar they are hit and miss (badly worn frets, oxidized or rusted hardware, dodgy electronics, etc.) and I wouldn't buy without playing one first.

Loomer and Kobalt like this.
  16. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Totally agree! Just get the ones with EMG 81/85 and not the HZ's.

17. Kobalt

Kobalt SS.org Regular

The guitars are the exact same, other than the control layout, but yeah the real EMG's are obviously an upgrade. You'd want to aim for 2006-2009 for the 81/85 equipped ones.

They are absolute killer guitars, but I guess if he's looking at Soloists is because he'd rather have a neck-thru over bolt-on.

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  18. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

And don't forget the 2 year run of the Slat 3-6. The slat 3-7 lived on until Jackson Japan died, but the slat 3-6 was always a good deal.

stinkoman and AngryWhiteMan like this.
  19. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to go with the suggestion of saving up a little more and try to find a cheaper USA Soloist, unless I find a good deal locally on MIJ Soloist I can try out first. As for the Dinky suggestions, that might be down the road, but the draw to the Soloist is the neck thru after playing mostly bolt on necks my whole life.

20. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Keep an eye on Guitar Center's used site when you're ready to buy. I've seen them pop up in the last year listed as "excellent" condition for $1,000-$1,200, but they go really fast at that point. You can't ever totally trust the condition listings on GC (it goes both ways too, better and worse than listed), but at least it's easy to deal with returns with them, and you can always call the store directly and ask for pictures that are actually worthwhile.

stinkoman likes this.