Best tuner?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by littlebadboy, Apr 4, 2021.

1. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

another vote for Turbo tuner, it's actually only piece of gear I haven't replaced or I'm not planning to replace

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

There's something of a learning curve with strobe displays, especially layered ones like the digital Peterson units have, but once you get the hang of it you'll be able to see at a glance how far out of tune you are and make quick, meaningful adjustments.

Granted, not everyone wants to deal with that, but the Turbo tracks so smooth and the interface is simple enough that I'd say it works great for live use.

But yeah, I'd never haul my SC5000 to a gig. :lol:

3. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

my friend is going crazy just by looking at me when I tune and always asks "how do you know you're in tune? what if I want to use temperament tunning? or if I tune tune to the peak by constantly hitting the string and tuning?" I believe that turbo tuner uses some sort of temperament tuning out of the box, or you can set your own intervals.. the other thing I found with Turbo tuner is that even slight movement of strobo display, which on other tuners would mean that you're couple of cents out of tune, is more accurate, than most of the tuners I have tried. like literally every time I tune according to something else than turbo tuner and I strum a chord, it sounds out of tune after years of using turbo tuner :lol:

4. Ink1940

Ink1940 SS.org Regular

I have a Peterson Strobostomp and can't complain. The Kemper has a strobe function, but I haven't compared. If I don't have the Strobostomp plugged for some reason I look at the LEDs.

5. MaxOfMetal

For real.

The Turbo really blew me away. I was a cork sniffing Peterson user for decades, and now I've all but completely converted.

They're $130, which isn't a whole lot for what you get, but you can grab them for about $100 used fairly regularly. I just don't see how anyone, namely TC, Peterson, or Korg, can compete unless you need something sort of special/unique (like giant displays, rack mountable, etc).

All tuners have their place, I also have stuff like Planet Waves NS clip-ons, an old Korg rack tuner, etc. But for all around stuff, the Turbo is really king.

I feel like a fucking shill, gushing over a damn tuner. :lol:

6. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

that's how f...... good it is :lol: only pedal guitar player really needs is an accurate tuner. but jokes aside, it's really important especially when you do guitar setups even for yourself or for the others. Everyone who I did setup for was impressed by how in tune their guitars sounded thanks to Turbo Tuner. If it gets broken, or stolen, I'm definitely getting another one, I don't mind paying full price for it again.

7. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

I've wandered the idea of getting the turbo tuner for studio usage so many times. I always have the feeling VST tuners don't track as good as my pedals :shrug:

4Eyes likes this.
  8. Gtan7

Gtan7 SS.org Regular

9. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Another vote for the turbo

10. PrestoDone

PrestoDone Cork Sniffer

Thoughts on the Boss Tu-3w ?? The waza craft buffet one...if it doesnt affect the signal as much its worth it imo.

rexbinary likes this.
  11. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Fuck. I found the regular sized one on local classifeds for like 100€. Guess I'm sending the guy a message :lol:

budda likes this.
  12. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Another vote for SR Turbo here. I'm in the process of a tuner overhaul on my rigs and the Turbo is the prime candidate. I do like the Strobo Stomp (same with the Boss Waza) and only using the Strobo Stomp for my bass rig since it's 12 pedals daisy chained and I need the buffer.

I do intend on overhauling my bass rig though... :lol:

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I'm going to assume the people here not suggesting the Turbo Tuner just never tried one. :D :lol:

Fwiw I did try the Boss tu3. I got one in a trade awhile back when I first got my ST300... Guess which one stayed?

14. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

My choice of tuner as well. Simple to use and very accurate.

15. Nicki

Nicki Twit

Availability/Distribution. Don't know about the situation there in the states, but up here, it's only the big brands that are in stores.

I'm kind of in the camp of any pedal tuner being good enough with my preferred tuner being the TC Polytune 3. The guitar is an imperfect instrument with imperfect tuning anyways. Close enough is usually good enough in most situations. When I record, I take a little bit of extra care to make sure the tuning is as stable as possible and use the strobe feature on the Polytune 3.

16. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

Turbo for me as well...

17. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

Yummmm.

18. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Just bought an ST300 Mini due to this thread... thanks!

For some reason they're super expensive used but new the regular or mini ST300 is $129 shipped.

technomancer and littlebadboy like this.
  19. X1X

X1X SS.org Regular

The Turbo tuner I have is way off (A LOT!) when checking the tuning of fretted notes on higher frets. Makes me a bit suspicious (my intonation is not off). It's fine with open strings though. The fact that it doesn't drain battery when plugged in is very good.

The polytune doesn't have issues with fretted notes. It's actually quite good then. The downside is you can't turn off the multistring automation. It makes tuning the 8th string very hard. It constantly jumps to the multistring mode.

Boss might be the best.

20. MaxOfMetal

Intonation on western fretted instruments is something of a compromise and depending on the method of intonation you'll tend to have areas of the fretboard closer and further in and out of exact intonation. The further you go from your check point, the more off frets you'll find depending on factors like string gauge/composition, natural harmonics, etc. When you hear of "sweetened" tunings, you're setting things slightly "off" but in a way that makes certain chords and notes "work" based on intonation imperfections.

The Turbo Tuner, by it's nature, being both stupid accurate and near instantaneous tracking with strobe will make natural intonation issues more apparent. Which is why it's great for setups. The only other tuner as sensitive in real time is my Peterson SC5k.

USMarine75 and technomancer like this.