Best tape for clean dye/stain lines?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Bobo, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

I bought some 3M "Fine Line Tape", but I had alky based dye run under it (applied with a cloth). This tape can be curved nicely to follow body lines, but didn't offer the fine line protection. It did not feel very tacky either, but seems a fine line tape should?

I could try to tint lacquer, spraying seems like a better way for good lines (or not?), but I won't always use lacquer...

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Dyes are really good at getting under tape.

I've had good results waxing the line. It'll seal the pores of the wood from dye getting in, and whatever does on the surface is easy to scrape off with a razor. This works best if going for a clean dyed/natural line. Mineral spirits work well too. Really anything that helps block the pores from absorbing the stain too deep.

As for tape, auto glass "butyl" tape is the best, but it can be difficult to work with. It's really tacky and you need to scrape where you adhere it. Pinstripe tape works really well too, but neither are perfect for every dye job.

aesthyrian, Bobo and failsafe like this.
  3. Defyantly

Defyantly Aspiring Builder

I read a few threads over at luthiertalk saying that you can put a layer of clear shellac or poly over the portion you want to protect from the dye/stain and then retape just have another added layer of protection with normal painters tape. The shellac or poly then can be sanded off and your good. This is the process I'm going to try on my summer build go give me a natural bevel.

Bobo likes this.
  4. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

Cool guys. I'll try these methods on some scraps. Thanks!

5. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Sanding sealer is the way to go. Reverse tape the line you want stained, lay down a coat or two of sanding sealer, wait a day, pull off the tape and then stain. You can just wipe the stain off the sealer. Just make sure the sealer and stain are NOT the same base (water/oil).

Bobo and KR250 like this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

frog tape is the best painter's tape ime. it's very good at keeping dye/paint out of taped areas.
    I use a combo of frog tape and vinyl pinstriping tape to get clean lines

Bobo and KR250 like this.
  7. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Keep in mind if you're going to use Shellac that you'll need to use water-based dyes. The alcohol-based ones will react with the alcohol in the shellac and vice versa.

Defyantly likes this.
  8. Defyantly

Defyantly Aspiring Builder

This statement just saved me! Thanks! Now i just gotta make sure i have the right stains when i start!