Best Stage Guitar Amp Ever?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by littlebadboy, Apr 21, 2019.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

2. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

There's no right answer.
    If you play blues or country, it's going to be some sort of Fender or maybe Vox.
    If you play straight forward rock, it'll be some sort of Marshall (or possibly a 'boutique' clone a-la Friedman, Soldano, etc...)
    If you play metal (post '92-ish) it's bound to be either a Mesa Mark/Rectifier or some form of Peavey 5150 (6505 or EVH 5150 III).

Granted, Kemper and Fractal are making huge inroads with major artists but not everyone can afford them and/or are willing to program them. I think it's pretty safe to say that non-digital amps won't be going away any time soon.

Aside from that, sure you have Engl, H&K, VHT/Fryette and literally dozens of others but I'd say it's a sure bet that none of them can come even close to the number of people that (on stage) use either a:
    -Fender
    -Marshall
    -Mesa
    and possibly Peavey. I say "possibly" because back in the day, Peavey combo amps were everywhere but as of late, the 6505 (or old 5150) seems to be the only amp of theirs that anyone uses. The JSX is gone and you don't see too many XXX's around. People are just getting the EVH amps instead.

Masoo2 and XPT707FX like this.
  3. Choop

Choop n______n

I've always enjoyed being in the presence of a cranked Marshall JMP or JCM800!

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I know nothing will beat the *feel* of a cranked guitar amp

But I agree with the article. The convenience of a modeler + optional FRFR system is really, really great and is why I pretty much went back that route. :lol: 2nd best option would be a preamp pedal, FRFR loader, and mini effects.

WarMachine and Spinedriver like this.
  5. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

huh that's weird it's not a jcm800

efiltsohg likes this.
  6. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

IMO/IME - when playing live the differences can be VERY subtle, 99% of the people if not 100% won't hear a difference between a traditional tube rig vs all digital + FOH. BUT that changes if you are at a venue with a shoddy PA/under-powered PA so you would benefit from a 4x12 + amp setup. Then again, if that comes up, you could always get 2 FRFR monitors with really high wattage and call it a day :lol:

I think that article pretty much nails it. If you are cool with carrying the tried and true setup from place to place, then hell yeah. If not for those, we wouldn't have anything to "model" after in the digital world. But if you want ultra portability/faster set up/take down times and consistent tone night after night, go digital. I see the guitar world going towards using the real thing in studios and using digital on the road as being the norm. A LOT of bands are doing this now and it makes pretty good sense. If you can get something to sound just like a setup you record with but can fit in a gigbag/backpack, why not?

laxu and littlebadboy like this.
  7. Choop

Choop n______n

For sure, I've been tempted several times. :p Practically speaking it makes a lot of sense, and modelers at this point sound incredible. I think if I were to do it, I'd definitely need to run a power amp/cab setup with me for stage presence. For my purposes though, I kind of enjoy the limitations that traditional setups bring.

That said, my girlfriend has a Helix, and I play on a Mesa Mark III right now. The Helix does a darn good take on a Mark series...

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yeah, I dig the Mark IV model on the Helix. Just wish it had more gain on tap. No fat, bright, and mid-gain switch means the Mark IV is running too low gain for my taste. :(

Choop likes this.
  9. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular