Best Practice Amp for Home

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by XxAlbertoxX, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

The problem with this is that most stores only sell digital combos anymore. At the Long & McQuade chain here in Canada, the only ss combos they sell are Marshall, Orange & a few Fenders. Granted, there's always Cragslist or other buy/sell websites but not everyone wants to 'haggle' and/or take a chance on spending a couple hundred on an amp only to have it die a month or so later. Whereas, if you buy one from a store, you generally get a year warranty if not more.

2. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Yeah I do think the current range of smaller combos on the market is a bit sad. But I don't think anyone can hope to compete with the Katana cult. It is what it is I guess.

I generally like buying used things though. More to choose from and good deals to be found. I get the appeal of buying new but I usually don't find it worth it.

cwhitey2 and Spinedriver like this.
  3. Spinedriver

That's the one issue I have with a lot of people that say 'just buy a used ...' Depending on where you live, there may not be a 'used' one to buy. Living in a big city, are there a lot of stores that have the potential of selling used pedals and/or amps but private sales as well. In smaller areas like the one I live in, there's 1 actual music store and 1 pawn shop that sells used stuff (that's generally not very good). As for the buy/sell site, unless you're in the market for a Fender combo or a 'no name' budget practice amp, there's not much there.

What really kinda sucks is that Peavey did really well with the XXL and Randal did equally as well with the RG line (G2 and G3) and both just kind of quietly went away. I guess the reason why the Katana is getting all the attention is because the only other alternatives are the Spider V, Marshall Code and whatever Fender & Vox are putting out and they all aren't nearly as good.

I know Peavey's been having really hard times as of late with cheaper chinese companies muscling in on the live sound market where Peavey used to have a lion's share of the market. That could be why they stopped putting money into developing the Viper line and updating the TransTube amps. As for Randall, who knows what the hell is going on with them. They took a bit of a beating with the Thrasher & Satan amps, as well as the signature Kirk Hammett amps. The last thing that I've heard of them putting out was the 1503 head and the RG-13 pedal and that was years ago.

4. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Yamaha THR 10x - You can buy them used or brand new for less money as they want to push them out of the stock.

5. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

@Spinedriver but l&m has used stuff, some decently priced, and orders over $100 have free shipping ;)

Spinedriver and USMarine75 like this.
  6. Spinedriver

They do but around here, it's mainly used Traynors/Fender/Spider amps. I've never seen a Bandit or any other kind of used Peavey amp there.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Thy Fart is Murder

katanas are cheap and sound good ime. Anytime I go to guitar center or other guitar stores they're the first thing I plug in to since they're so easy to set up/get solid tones out of.

8. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Best is an Axe-FX III.... but not at $300 ;)

If you want cheap, a Zoom G1 Four with a set of headphones would probably work well.

I think the Katana is a great amp, but I wouldn't want it if I didn't tweak the software. You pretty much have to to get heavy tones.

The problem is almost everything is digital and programmable these days. Almost nothing sounds good "out of the box" without some tweaking. If you are dead set on simple, it may be best to try to find an old analog amp used. Peavey Bandits go for super cheap, and are solid amps. They are simple 2-3 channel analog designs. Same with the old Randall amps people have recommended.

9. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Have you used the Katana software to tweak it? I think the Katana is a great amp, and I have had a head since they first came out. However, it is not great without tweaking the software, and you really need the head + a larger cabinet to sound its best. Those little combos sound... little. The main thing they got right was the feel. It doesn't feel flat like the other amps in that price category. You can then tweak the sound like every other metal sound.... OD in front to cut bass, and EQ in loop to scoop mids. You can pretty much make any amp sound metal with that combo.

sharedEQ likes this.
  10. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

You have access to all their stock. See something you like in ontario? Pay an extra $15 to have it shipped to your store, or to your house.

They also dont carry peavey so they dont really take it in on trade.

Spinedriver likes this.
  11. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

I settled on a Roland Cube 30, not the 30x or the monitor looking thing they sell now, just the old basic cube 30. Good cleans, onboard effects, eats pedals and has 2 good useful metal amp models. Bullet proof and about $120 used.

Choop likes this.
  12. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

i would try to get something like the HX stomp. something that could double as a practice rig and also be incorporated into your live rig.

i use my helix into a fender amp when i practice at home and it helps because when i take the same helix to band practice i have good idea how to get the best tone for that song idea.

13. Spinedriver

Ever since the local store was turned into a L&M, I found it odd that they won't sell 2nd hand anything they don't sell new. I figure it has something to with extended warranty or just general repairs.

I seem to remember asking them to get a used pedal that I saw that was for sale at another store in NB but when they called, it had been sold. Good to know that the shipping is cheap though. :yesway:

14. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Nah I didn't use the software. Sure it's possible that that would make it better, but I'd rather go to an amp I like more than try to improve an amp I don't like. My Valvestate 1x12 combo doesn't need an overdrive, eq, a 4x12, or any app/software for me to like it, so it wins. :p

15. Choop

Choop n______n

+1 on just a plain Roland Cube for value, or something like a Yamaha THR. Heck I use a Fender Mustang II 1x12 and it works well for my needs, it just has to be practical without being too complicated. The Mustang has some decent modeled tones, basic effects, and a tuner. Pretty much anything along those lines would be great. Maybe a Vox Valvetronix?

sirbuh likes this.
  16. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

You can find a used Laney ironheart combo for 350-400. It has a power soak built in. Can be use for practice or band.

If you spend a little more u can get more than a practice amp.

17. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

The OD and EQ and all that are built into the amp. No external gear needed. I hooked up the software like the week I bought it, saved 4 settings, and haven't changed it in a few years.

18. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Fair enough, I'll give it some bonus points for that. Anyway I played through it on multiple occasions, did what I could with the knobs on the amp and didn't like it. I also listened to a bunch of clips of it and didn't like the sound there either. By that point the amp had lost me and I'm not gonna look into the software when there's a bunch of analog amps that I like more just plugging straight into them.

19. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Just trying to show you why it is so popular. ;) It just requires some extra work, especially for metal sounds. It is more blues to rock out of the box. Mine is set up for a Hatebreed / Death-Human sort of tone. It is not my favorite amp, but it is a great little package for cheap. When plugging my Mooer Preamp pedals into the poweramp, the Katana preamp definitely has more feel/dynamics than those pedals.

I pretty much set up all my amps the same way. Recto heads, Marshall heads, XXX head, etc... almost all have an OD in front, and an EQ in the loop. I set up presets on the Axe-FX the same way. I can pretty much get "my" tone on anything, lol.

20. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I'm telling you OP. The Randall G3+ series (with valvedynamic technology) is fucking great for modern metal/djent and the 200w 212 version (RG200D) is in your budget on the used market. They are a hidden gem when it comes to combo amps IMHO.