Best Practice Amp for Home

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by XxAlbertoxX, Dec 28, 2019.

1. XxAlbertoxX

XxAlbertoxX SS.org Regular

Hi, I've been googling and researching post after post, but was hoping the great, responsive people at sevenstring forums could help me out....

It seems to me the most popular practice amps are (from my research) and I was just praying someone could help me narrow it down because I've become more confused after googling, because someone will suggest a new amp I never heard of (recently getting back into guitar after a hiatus) and then that will lead to a rabbit-hole of more "this amp is better, that amp sucks" posts:

Blackstar Core ID series
    Peavey Vypyr series
    Boss Kitana MK2 series
    Orange Micro Dark Terror
    Fender Champion XL series

These are the amps I constantly saw "battling" each other, and just when I was ready to purchase, I find reviews saying "that amp sucks, this one is better" etc... does anyone have any opinions?

I'm mostly looking for something to play metal/djent/shred, that sounds great for under $300, but can do clean tones of course. I don't want to buy a multitude of pedals for it, especially if it has low gain or etc..., it should sound pretty decent "out the box".

Attached Files:

2. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

Katana

stevexc and youngthrasher9 like this.
  3. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Katana

Edit: unless you find a Vypyr 60. That’s still a beast.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Yup, I dug the Vypyr series for high gain. Never got the hate.

wakjob likes this.
  5. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

I saw a Vypyr Tube 60 for $200 in a local GC a few months ago and was quite tempted. I had one years ago and now have absolutely no need but that was a cool amp.

6. XxAlbertoxX

XxAlbertoxX SS.org Regular

Damn, Kitana huh? it sounded kinda like crap on some of the online youtube videos I watched... like a muffled sound like there was a blanket over the speaker.... So kitana even if I may not be using all the Software stuff for editing? Really just want it to sound good on the box

What would be the minimum model to get, the Mk2 50 watt Kitana?

7. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

If it's for home practice, you absolutely just need a passable tone to get the work done. You don't need a great tone, or else your practice rig would be your live rig. Buy whatever and put the time in. Practicing with less gain will help you play cleaner anyway :yesway:.

stevexc, wakjob, XPT707FX and 4 others like this.
  8. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

efiltsohg likes this.
  9. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I had a Vypyr for a while and while it was passable, I decided I wanted something better for my practice rig.

For under $300 I'd go for: Mooer Micro preamp (or maybe that new Zoom multi FX), pedal power amp (Mooer Baby Bomb), and whatever cab you can find locally.

I know people say that practice tone doesn't matter and that's plenty reasonable, but if I'm playing I'm more inspired by a good tone. And a setup like what I've suggested gets me that inspiration more than a little combo amp.

couverdure likes this.
  10. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Peavey Rage!

USMarine75 and budda like this.
  11. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Sure, but at that point just get a good live rig with a master volume knob. It's going to sound better than most practice amps most of the time. Practicing is playing, but not all playing is practice.

Practice tone should be good enough that you can hear your mistakes. We're spoiled for choice now and everyone worries about if their practice tone is any good, as if someone is going to pay to watch. No one gives a damn if your practice tone is any good, and they definitely don't want to hear it :lol:.

NOTE: I'm not making practice amps and home rigs equivalent here.

Upgrayedd and Deadpool_25 like this.
  12. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Boss GT-1 into your studio monitors if you have. Or... add some more and get a Headrush FRFR-108.

The GT-1 has the brutal Bogner Uberschall and Dual Rec amp sims.

13. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

used Randall RG combo

watson503 likes this.
  14. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Dunno if you can still find them dirt cheap with a cab but the Laney irt studio

It’s not my favorite circuit but it sounds fine. Takes pedals well. And has some tools in case you want to hook it up to a daw.

15. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

I bought a Katana last year, and while I go for more of a dimed Marshall sound over whatever the current modern metal sound is, I've been damned impressed with it.

I've used the software to mess with the onboard effects, but all I did was change the distortion to a fuzz and turn the gate off because I want my amp to feedback when I want it to.

16. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I hate how the Boss Katana sounds. I think Boss have done an amazing job marketing it though. If you go to youtube it's impossible to avoid having the Katana shoved down your throat in basically every guitar related video you watch. It's like some sort of creepy cult that everybody is a part of.

I also hate the Peavey Vypyr.

I got a Marshall Valvestate combo (8040 model) for practising and I'm very happy. It sounds like a real amp, and not like something trying to sound like an amp.

So I would avoid the digital stuff and look at solid state combos or tube combos with good master volumes. I would also avoid anything with a speaker smaller than 12".

erdiablo666 and wakjob like this.
  17. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

Isn't that price range the target for GC and local guitar stores these days? I'd go play everything they have in every store within 50 miles. Then price-check/shop online - MF, eBay, and Reverb - to see if you can find a better price with free shipping, especially with all these holiday deals going on.

You also might score something sweet used from one of those stores, Reverb, eBay, or your local CL.

Personally, I'd find a Peavey Ultra combo. It's basically a Peavey Rockmaster preamp + power amp and speakers. Fantastic cleans, rock, and metal tones:

https://reverb.com/item/27239132-pe...be-series-3-channel-60-watt-1x12-guitar-combo
    ^offer this guy 300 shipped... it's been around for 4+ months.

18. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Asking forum opinions on gear is risky and biased at best.

Most of us will give you an opinion based on what we saw on Youtube, read in another forum, or what we were told by someone else (group think).

I own a THR10X...sounds fine for practice, but seems to be surpassed by some newer offerings by Blackstar, Boss, ect...I've never updated mine, so maybe it's time to search for a firmware upgrade.

Anyway, the used market is your friend...or fiend.
    We all flip gear like 1st world nutters, so...plenty to choose from.

Spinedriver likes this.
  19. SloeGin

SloeGin SS.org Regular

20. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

Now that's a distinction I don't make usually. Since I'm not playing live anymore I've got all my gear available to setup around the house. Definitely spoiled for choices of good tones.

budda likes this.