Best pickups for Black limba (korina)

Artem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What's the scale length on your Kiesel?

Shorter scale lengths sound less bright and less tight/focused. If the Lundgren sounds great in your M80M but bad in your other guitars, that might be a part of it. You could try to use lighter strings and tune up your other guitar, then record the parts and retune them in your DAW, but that might sound like a digital mess of glitch by the time you're done. The best option would be to just use the guitar that you like better to get the sound you like better.
26-27.5 I think. Yes you are right I use other guitars for recording but I also want to solve this issue with the choice of pickups for my own peace of mind, I don't want this guitar lying idle, I really like it

Artem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Please consult Vejichan. Dude has asked this question about 200 times on this forum before. I'm sure he knows exactly what you need by now.
Oh, I think I enjoyed talking with him on this topic, but I'm new here and don't quite understand how to find him and write to him

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To be clear...

Scale length
M80M: 29.4"
Kiesel: 27" or 26-27.5" for multiscale

Bridge:
M80M: this chonker:
1644536384965.png
Kiesel Multiscale: Hipshot individual bridges:
1644536541930.png
(unless it's headless):
1644536580129.png

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Pickups can only do so much. What you are looking to solve can be achieved with pre-EQ cuts, moving mics, multipressor and post-EQ but it comes down to you liking the clarity your 29.4” guitar has over your 26-27.5”.

Robstonin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pickups can only do so much. What you are looking to solve can be achieved with pre-EQ cuts, moving mics, multipressor and post-EQ but it comes down to you liking the clarity your 29.4” guitar has over your 26-27.5”.
"What is this multipressor you are talking about and how do you achieve it?" -Youknowwho
;)

Artem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No, I clearly understand what the problem is and what I need, I have a lot of guitars and they have different scales, different woods and different pickups, I want to choose the right pickups for this wood

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
No, I clearly understand what the problem is and what I need, I have a lot of guitars and they have different scales, different woods and different pickups, I want to choose the right pickups for this wood

I think you messaged me on IG asking for Lundgren clips. One of the downsides of slanted pickups is the cost so getting anything else will be a gamble for fixing your problem since its very specific. Lundgren's are tight, bright and low mid heavy. They also cost a lot so getting your current pickups re-wired would be a better option first. Either way you've looked up clips and done your research so all that's left is to experiment with different pickups until you find what you're looking for.

Artem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think you messaged me on IG asking for Lundgren clips. One of the downsides of slanted pickups is the cost so getting anything else will be a gamble for fixing your problem since its very specific. Lundgren's are tight, bright and low mid heavy. They also cost a lot so getting your current pickups re-wired would be a better option first. Either way you've looked up clips and done your research so all that's left is to experiment with different pickups until you find what you're looking for.
Haha, nice meeting, yes it was me, but I also found lundgren and limba records, it's not the high cost, but the sound, they don't sound as clear as in combination with ash and I still hear the resonance in the bottom middle , which only gets stronger when you put on thicker strings and lower the tuning. so I decided to continue searching, by the way, if possible, send me the source of the track with this guitar

Artem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
By the way, on your advice, I contacted lungren and he said that this is a common problem and he advises putting the neck pickup in the bridge, since it has more high frequencies and less low frequencies, I thought maybe I will find those who did this here

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Bruh multiple people have explained it's not the limba Or ash, its the bloody bridges and scale length affecting the tone. It has NOTHING to do with the wood.

Just throw a set of pups you like in it and EQ until you're happy. You're going down like the most POINTLESS rabbit hole in the list of guitar rabbit holes you can adventure into.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, NOT ONE HUMAN ON PLANET EARTH is listening to any tone on any record and cursing them "no! Not ash and lundgrens! Why would he use ASH with LUNDGRENS?!". Well, maybe one, and that's you.

Artem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bruh multiple people have explained it's not the limba Or ash, its the bloody bridges and scale length affecting the tone. It has NOTHING to do with the wood.

Just throw a set of pups you like in it and EQ until you're happy. You're going down like the most POINTLESS rabbit hole in the list of guitar rabbit holes you can adventure into.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, NOT ONE HUMAN ON PLANET EARTH is listening to any tone on any record and cursing them "no! Not ash and lundgrens! Why would he use ASH with LUNDGRENS?!". Well, maybe one, and that's you.
I told, my friend, I didn't come here to argue about woody sound, it's a waste of time. Ask any experienced guitar builder, pickup builder or sound engineer who works with heavy music. They will unanimously answer you that each wood has its own frequencies and affects the sound. Of course, unless you play Chinese guitar with emg in a cheap Chinese amp combo, everything will sound the same to you. Take a good studio acoustic and record 5 guitars from different woods with the same passive pickups and then look at the frequency analyzer, the answer is so simple, friend and let's close the topic of wood.

Artem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Understand that when you work for many years in the studio, this question becomes simple and understandable. There are guitars made of basswood or plastic and they will never sound in the mix as well as alder or ash guitars you just won't get the frequencies you need for a tight readable mix, yes there are options to get a good sound out of them, but it's heavy and wrong path. A pickup is a microphone that can be correctly matched to the timbre of your voice, in our case it is a tree. Now I'm busy with this. I can get a good sound out of what I have, but I'm wasting some useful frequencies by cutting out unnecessary wood resonances, which makes my mix lose density. If the pickup is not chosen correctly, it will only increase the resonances and other frequencies will suffer due to this, now this is exactly what I have, I just want to find a grammatical solution to the issue

MrWulf

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Feels like this is a troll thread. But im gonna point out a few things.

1. The band you mentioned want to emulate had their producer/guitarist Buster Odeholm manipulate the shit out of the guitar DI and a lot of processing in order to get those sounds with his guitar. It isnt just plug and play into the amp.

2. His own guitar is a custom 27.5 inch scale guitar that was made with heavy downtuning in mind.

The pickup and the tonewood is really the least of your issue when you neither have the scale length, or the studio expertise in mind.

Latest posts