Best pickups for Black limba (korina)

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
I see you've done a lot of research on me. I'm not asking anyone to tune a guitar in C1 and send me a DI. And I think if from the very beginning of the conversation people understood the essence of the matter, and did not argue with me about wood and sound engineering, arrogantly mocking it, then I would not have behaved like that. Do you always respond appropriately to stupid jokes addressed to you?
You were behaving like that before I wrote a single post here. My posts here have been calling out your own arrogance. At least vejichan was legitimately trying to understand what people were saying. You are.openly condescending and disregarding what people are saying.

You are probably right. A lot of people in this thread don't have the level of expertise that you were expecting. But your condescending attitude is visible to the people who have that expertise. You kept using appeal to authority to show how much better you are than people here, yet when I asked you to either talk to professional sound engineers or a pickup manufacturer, you conveniently stayed quiet. When I literally told you that the aftermath was one of the worst pickups for balance, you pretty much disregarded that advice. But apparently those are stupid jokes now?

If I lived near you, I'd let you take the aftermath out of my skervesen just to end this discussion. Would give me a reason to finally replace with something that doesn't sound like a midrange honk.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I disagree. This isn't a language issue. The dude has been unreasonable and condescending since the first page. That isn't a language issue, that's a personality thing. He hasn't tried to turn off his elitist attitude. He has been assuming people who reply aren't qualified and effectively disregarding their input and asking them to do him a favor all while being a jerk about it.

Also, he literally said he is experimenting with C1 tuning and has no problems with normal tunings. He isn't just asking people with korina ERGs to send a DI track. He is expecting people to send tracks emphasizing unspecified playing style and note ranges. By time he said specifically he wants C1, I would say most people would need to restring and setup their instrument to do him a favor that he isn't even being gracious about. And afaik, he still hasn't specified what type of playing should be in the DI track.

He's intentionally being secretive and withholding information from people because he thinks the people here aren't qualified to help him. If I was being *paid* to do this, I would break this contract and refund him. He expects people to do it for free...
I think you're being extremely uncharitable to him to be fair.

I read the thread from the beginning (And I acknowledged already that the ask has countless variables and problems with his ask) but even I can ascertain his original question regardless of it being grammatically broken.

Hello everyone. I want to change the pickups on my 8-string Kiesel from Black limba (korina) , I want to achieve a clean balanced sound without resonances in the lower middle. Ideally, you want to sound like vildhjarta (ash + lundgren m7, 8) or alder with bkp juggernauts or ragnarok, in general progressive, dense and readable. I listened to different combinations of limba and lundgren m7, bkp ragnarock, juggernaut, still a lot of mids and it doesn’t sound so clean. Maybe someone had an experiment with this tree and someone found a solution?

He has a Black Limba Kiesel, he doesn't like it's tone. He believes the wood choice contributes to the unfavorable parts of the sound he wants to fix, so he wants to change the pickups to make the best out of a guitar he is stuck with (International Kiesel purchase) and bring it closer to a sound he does like (Vildhjarta/Lundgrens/Ash/Alder/Juggs/Rags).

It sounds like he wants a djent guitar tone that reins the lower mids back. There is a clear language issue even if you disagree with me, it's fucking obvious.

This is no different to the vendor BKP thread, "Hey Zimbloth, I have an ESP Horizon with a Maple Neck/Mahogany body, I listen to hardcore and metalcore. What pickups would sound best in this?" reference thread

He isn't asking if tonewood is a factor, he isn't asking for proof why he's on the wrong path to fixing his problems. Yet every single reply early on is summed down to:
1) Tonewood isn't the problem
2) Sell the guitar and just buy another one if it sounds bad
3) Just swap the pickups and try others

That isn't helpful advice, and anyone would feel frustrated getting told that over and over. I don't frequent the forums as much as I used to, but are we just like militant assholes to anyone who thinks their mahogany guitars are darker than their ash/alder ones now? Some people believe in tonewoods and others don't, if you want to basically forcibly make him understand that tonewood isn't the problem it obviously didn't work. So maybe just provide his ask if you can and don't feel obliged to respond to the thread if you don't want to?

I have two guitars with Black Limba and different pickups, I could either toss him a recommendation if I have one or record him a DI signal and send it his way for him to evaluate. It just feels like this snowballed into a pile on some dude asking for some pretty normal advice, get joked on by 3 - 4 people, he responds that he knows what he's doing but wants to hear what pickups people use in the BL guitars, but everyone takes it as him being cocky even though he needs help :lol:

It had some funny moments, but some of you guys need to learn to walk away from unproductive conversations.

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score

I read the thread from the beginning (And I acknowledged already that the ask has countless variables and problems with his ask) but even I can ascertain his original question regardless of it being grammatically broken.

He has a Black Limba Kiesel, he doesn't like it's tone. He believes the wood choice contributes to the unfavorable parts of the sound he wants to fix, so he wants to change the pickups to make the best out of a guitar he is stuck with (International Kiesel purchase) and bring it closer to a sound he does like (Vildhjarta/Lundgrens/Ash/Alder/Juggs/Rags).

It sounds like he wants a djent guitar tone that reins the lower mids back. There is a clear language issue even if you disagree with me, it's fucking obvious.

This is no different to the vendor BKP thread, "Hey Zimbloth, I have an ESP Horizon with a Maple Neck/Mahogany body, I listen to hardcore and metalcore. What pickups would sound best in this?" reference thread

He isn't asking if tonewood is a factor, he isn't asking for proof why he's on the wrong path to fixing his problems. Yet every single reply early on is summed down to:

That isn't helpful advice, and anyone would feel frustrated getting told that over and over. I don't frequent the forums as much as I used to, but are we just like militant assholes to anyone who thinks their mahogany guitars are darker than their ash/alder ones now? Some people believe in tonewoods and others don't, if you want to basically forcibly make him understand that tonewood isn't the problem it obviously didn't work. So maybe just provide his ask if you can and don't feel obliged to respond to the thread if you don't want to?

I have two guitars with Black Limba and different pickups, I could either toss him a recommendation if I have one or record him a DI signal and send it his way for him to evaluate. It just feels like this snowballed into a pile on some dude asking for some pretty normal advice, get joked on by 3 - 4 people, he responds that he knows what he's doing but wants to hear what pickups people use in the BL guitars, but everyone takes it as him being cocky even though he needs help :lol:

It had some funny moments, but some of you guys need to learn to walk away from unproductive conversations.
Fair enough. Appreciate the impartial feedback.

Artem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Damn bro, you're just a beam of light in the dark. I have already begun to believe that I am a crazy creepy and inadequate dude 😃😃😃

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

That's your take, and it's a very valid one.

My take is: If you open a thread explaining a so-called problem, and 200 people tell you the problem lies elsewhere so you can put your efforts where they really matter, but you blatantly ignore them all (and keep on going on for 15 pages) until you find a single person (you) that says what you want to hear, then you're doing something wrong.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Man, def one of the better trainwrecks we’ve had in a good while.

But, I do have a question for the OP. Have you tried different (lower or higher value) potentiometers or capacitors? It’s a nice cheap way to alter your output slightly without going quite as far as buying new pickups.

Robstonin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Some people believe in tonewoods and others don't, if you want to basically forcibly make him understand that tonewood isn't the problem it obviously didn't work. So maybe just provide his ask if you can and don't feel obliged to respond to the thread if you don't want to?
1) How helpful is it to enable the belief that wood species is that important, especially in a mix? I posted a video a few pages ago where Jake Bowen explicitly says that wood species were never taken into account when designing his Titan set. I don't think the people at DiMarzio are unprofessional to the extent of completely disregarding wood species if it were that key to amplified guitar tone, especially for this kind of music. Here is the link again because IIRC a Periphery-ish tone is what OP is after.

2) But let's assume tonewood is important for a second. How can we even help OP find a pickup set that would EQ out the frequencies that are bothering him based on the minimal guidance he has provided? A few people have asked for DIs or sound clips in order to give him the best possible advice but OP has considered that pointless. Yet he has asked owners of black limba guitars to share their DIs with him even though that introduces so many more variables than if he shared his own with us. Something doesn't add up here so I can see why some people got a bit pissed.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Here are the DIs from my Carillion 7(First file was wrong so this is the correct zip file):

It's a multiscale 25.5-26.25" tuned to B standard with 9-44 + 59 D'addario strings recorded through an Apollo Twin Interface(48hz and 24bit). The pickups are slanted Lundgren M7s with Alnico V magnets instead of the ceramic, one 550k volume, no tone control. Bridge pickup is 4mm from the strings and the neck is 3mm, bridge pickup is closer to the bridge than most production guitars with an extra few degrees of slant towards the bass side. Action is about 1.8mm on the 12th fret bass side and 1.5mm on the treble side. Very little fret buzz. I pick hard and use down picking for nearly everything with a 1mm Dunlop plectrum. These aren't the cleanest DI tracks, I've learned a lot since recording this song but I don't want to share my newer DIs with this guitar until I've released the music.

Body is Black Limba with a quilt maple top. Neck is 5 piece rosewood and maple with an Ebony fingerboard. In my opinion the majority of this guitars tone comes from the Lundgren pickups, bolt-on neck joint and the extra .75" on the low B(compared to a 25,5"). ABm single string saddles, stainless steel jescar frets, TUSQ Bone nut I think and guitar has an oil finish. Thats pretty much everything that could have an effect on the tone so how you compare the to your Kiesel is up to you.

13076808_902989376479055_3289581411326763331_n-2.jpg
13051697_902989469812379_7359595719182698620_n-2.jpg

Last edited:

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here are the DIs from my Carillion 7(First file was wrong so this is the correct zip file):

It's a multiscale 25.5-26.25" tuned to B standard with 9-44 + 59 D'addario strings recorded through an Apollo Twin Interface(48hz and 24bit). The pickups are slanted Lundgren M7s with Alnico V magnets instead of the ceramic, one 550k volume, no tone control. Bridge pickup is 4mm from the strings and the neck is 3mm, bridge pickup is closer to the bridge than most production guitars with an extra few degrees of slant towards the bass side. Action is about 1.8mm on the 12th fret bass side and 1.5mm on the treble side. Very little fret buzz. I pick hard and use down picking for nearly everything with a 1mm Dunlop plectrum. These aren't the cleanest DI tracks, I've learned a lot since recording this song but I don't want to share my newer DIs with this guitar until I've released the music.

Body is Black Limba with a quilt maple top. Neck is 5 piece rosewood and maple with an Ebony fingerboard. In my opinion the majority of this guitars tone comes from the Lundgren pickups, bolt-on neck joint and the extra .75" on the low B(compared to a 25,5"). ABm single string saddles, stainless steel jescar frets, TUSQ Bone nut I think and guitar has an oil finish. Thats pretty much everything that could have an effect on the tone so how you compare the to your Kiesel is up to you.

View attachment 103387
View attachment 103388

over under on this guy coming back and telling you your di is terrible

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
1) How helpful is it to enable the belief that wood species is that important, especially in a mix? I posted a video a few pages ago where Jake Bowen explicitly says that wood species were never taken into account when designing his Titan set. I don't think the people at DiMarzio are unprofessional to the extent of completely disregarding wood species if it were that key to amplified guitar tone, especially for this kind of music. Here is the link again because IIRC a Periphery-ish tone is what OP is after.

2) But let's assume tonewood is important for a second. How can we even help OP find a pickup set that would EQ out the frequencies that are bothering him based on the minimal guidance he has provided? A few people have asked for DIs or sound clips in order to give him the best possible advice but OP has considered that pointless. Yet he has asked owners of black limba guitars to share their DIs with him even though that introduces so many more variables than if he shared his own with us. Something doesn't add up here so I can see why some people got a bit pissed.

1) Because it literally has no bearing on this thread, you're taking a moment to educate where it isn't being asked of you. You're not enabling tonewood believers, you're butting heads voluntarily from the outside view. I don't believe in tonewoods either, (last I gave it any thought, I attributed density and resonance to anything unique to tone) but as far as I'm concerned literally no one asked for a tonewood debate.

He's not replacing his guitar, he's identified what part of the tone he wants to "fix", he's asking which pickups will get him closer and if anyone has any samples for him to listen to before he commits to a pickup purchase.

2) We don't have to, it's not a discussion he even wants to have. But that's fair and I can even understand why people would get pissed. There's quite a few variables and problems with his ask, I mention this in my first reply to the thread. Problem is that other than someone asking him for DI's several pages into the thread no one's made an effort to loop back around and maybe resolve his problem.

Trust me, it's a hilarious thread. But I'm not going to sit and pretend both sides haven't completely grinded the dead horse into a fine powder at this point. :rofl:

Artem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Man, def one of the better trainwrecks we’ve had in a good while.

But, I do have a question for the OP. Have you tried different (lower or higher value) potentiometers or capacitors? It’s a nice cheap way to alter your output slightly without going quite as far as buying new pickups.
No, I have not tried this, but I think that the nature of the pickups itself does not suit me at all and such little things as wires, capacitors and potentiometers will not change the picture much, I'm sure

Artem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

For example, I have a mix with ready-made drums exactly repeating vildhjarta's frequencies and corresponding bass. now look, I recorded the same parts on different guitars that I mentioned above. And what do we have? One guitar fits into the mix well without having such critical resonances, and the second does not. Then you cut out the resonances of this guitar or compress it with a compressor (which does not help) and the mix loses coherence due to the fact that the guitar has lost a lot of low frequencies. I think it's not hard to understand right? But at the same time, you can get thousands of other sound options from her, but not for this mix.

Artem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

View attachment 103387
View attachment 103388
Wow, thanks for the detailed info and provided di, my friend, it's very helpful for me. Btw today I listened lundgren black haven (alnico) with black limba I think I was very pleased with what I heard, it is very similar to what I want to get from my guitar
And thank you again bro 🤘🤘🤘

Artem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
1) Because it literally has no bearing on this thread, you're taking a moment to educate where it isn't being asked of you. You're not enabling tonewood believers, you're butting heads voluntarily from the outside view. I don't believe in tonewoods either, (last I gave it any thought, I attributed density and resonance to anything unique to tone) but as far as I'm concerned literally no one asked for a tonewood debate.

He's not replacing his guitar, he's identified what part of the tone he wants to "fix", he's asking which pickups will get him closer and if anyone has any samples for him to listen to before he commits to a pickup purchase.

2) We don't have to, it's not a discussion he even wants to have. But that's fair and I can even understand why people would get pissed. There's quite a few variables and problems with his ask, I mention this in my first reply to the thread. Problem is that other than someone asking him for DI's several pages into the thread no one's made an effort to loop back around and maybe resolve his problem.

Trust me, it's a hilarious thread. But I'm not going to sit and pretend both sides haven't completely grinded the dead horse into a fine powder at this point. :rofl:
My friend, I think if you showed up 15 pages ago, it could be limited to 1 or 2 pages of discussion.😂

Robstonin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Many in this thread believe that tonewood, which is at the centre of OP's question, is only a small part of his problem. Many have recommended things worth looking into before even considering a pickup swap and deeming his pickups unsuitable for black limba, which OP brushed away on the basis of his extensive knowledge -- which also caused some irritation. But I guess my question is, if you believe somebody is misguided, or that their premise isn't 100% sound given the goal they are after, should you refrain from offering advice because that is not what the person is looking to hear? I will concede though that this thread would have ended much sooner had people just spewed pickup names for OP to try out :lol: But would that have been valuable considering all the variables that come into play when tone is in question, and how little OP told us about his problem, especially initially? I don't know. I guess some of us are guilty of trying to help in a way that OP did not want to be helped. But does that make the advice useless to address OP's problem? I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Latest posts