Best pickup options for my Schecter Omen 7

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by VentureIntumesce, Oct 15, 2021.

1. VentureIntumesce

VentureIntumesce SS.org Regular

Hey Guys

I have a schecter omen 7 and I am going to upgrade the stock pickups.

I have the option of getting the schecter custom shop brimstone 7 pickup set so I wanted to ask if that is a good option. I have heard the demoes and they sound great both clean and distorted, and I plan to play prog metal with some chuggy riffs in there as well.

Prior to this option being available I was looking at the SD sets of nazgul and sentient, and then also looking at a dimarzio setup.

I think the schecter brimstones would be pretty cool to see in a non-custome shop schecter but I think you all have better expertise than I do because I just got this guitar in february.

I have also installed Gotoh locking tuners in black and white so they look pretty badass.

Let me know what you think. I am in Canada so pretty much everything has to be shipped out of the US.

Thanks

2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

1. What dont you like about the stock pickups?

2. What are you playing through?

H I G H W I N D likes this.
  3. VentureIntumesce

Hey!

The stock pickups are not bad . A little muddy depending on what I play through. In all seriousness I just want to upgrade because I've never done it before!

I play mostly through an audio interface as I am in an apartment. I also play through a peavey xxx tube and it sounds great. Doesnt sound good on my traynor or yamaha thr10 though. Sounds great on the interface but that is through plugins and I want a better live sound.

4. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Have vineham wind you something. Canadian made and very affordable.

VentureIntumesce and odibrom like this.
  5. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    I'll just add that a pickup's sound is very much dependent on the pots used. I'd say to experiment with a hard wire to jack first (bypassing the pots) to see if it's the pickups you need to swap or if it's just the volume pot...

Besides that, I personally am on the Alnico loaded pickups phase. I used to be a DiMarzio kind of guy, but they don't have 7 string pickups with Alnico. A few years ago I experimented with a local builder on Alnico 5 custom wound pickups for one of my guitars... got hooked and done it to 2 others. I'd follow @budda 's suggestion...

Mind me asking, for how long have you been playing guitar?

Oh, and welcome to the SSO.

budda likes this.
  6. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

How much is the brimstone set for sale for? Typically new Schecter USA pups are quite a bit more than the Sentient/Nazgul would be. That said I'd go with the Duncan's myself as they tonally are more what I like.

VentureIntumesce likes this.
  7. VentureIntumesce

Hey Odibrom I have been playing on and off since I was 15 ( I am 31 now). I have played in a few bands (6 string, hard rock. - many moons ago) but I have fallen in love with the extra strings and what you are able to do with them and now I mostly play for my own enjoyment (not many people in the north that enjoy progressive metal). I record little jams and have been having a blast with the seven string. My wife wouldn't let me purchase a high-end model but I have gotten really comfortable with the Omen-7 so I thought I would just slowly upgrade it and make it unique.
    I have just made my own account on SSO but I have visited here over the years to find information and realized now that I have a seven string I must join the community!

I have just inquired with Vineham about getting some pickups made so I really appreciate the advice from both you and Budda.

odibrom and budda like this.
  8. VentureIntumesce

Yes I noticed they are quite a bit more expensive. I found a set on reverb that are 258 CAD (used but literally just taken out of a guitar that was purchased at the shop ) but I know I will have high shipping costs to Canada as well. I was just thinking to go with something other than SD or Dimarzio (for no particular reason) and I listened to the brimstone demoes and think they will definitely do the trick. Although I also listened to the SD demoes for sentient and nazguls and they sound great too.

SubsonicDoom99 likes this.
  9. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

10. odibrom

odibrom .

When speaking with a pickup maker, you must know a few things about the sound you are looking for and why your actual pickups don't work for it. I advise you to tell him all the info you can, valid for both points of view, what you want and what you don't want is equal important:
    1. Info about the guitar which will receive the pickups,
      1. pots - type (log/linear), resistance (in ohms, general rule for passive hums is 500k ohms, I use 1Mega ohms for extra clarity)
      2. pickup configuration and orientation (this is coil polarity related and distribution in the guitar layout)
      3. desired circuit (coil splits? Parallel wirings? out of phase? specific and uncommon coil combos? I like Inner coils in series, kind of replicate a middle humbucker sound)
      4. String spacing (duuh)
      5. Scale length / tuning / woods /construction type (bolt on, set neck, neck through).
      6. What are the actual pickups in your guitar. What other pickup references can you deliver about your needs, either on the "perfect" as well on the "avoid" sides of things.
    2. About your rig
      1. Amp
      2. FXs
      3. CABs
      4. Digital?
    3. What do you need or don't need from the pickups, list of possibilities:
      1. more gain/output (means hitting the preamp harder, even if it's digital, will distort/overdrive faster and more)
      2. more clarity, articulation (means clear note separation on chords or high gain amp settings)
      3. more harmonics,
      4. more compression
      5. more bass
      6. more mids
      7. more high end
    4. What sound are you after?
      1. Music genre you play often
      2. Music genre you seldom play
      3. Music genre you want to play
      4. Music genre you don't want to play
    Like I've said, I've done the custom route 4 times, 3 with a local builder and a 4th with Gorilla Pickups (Italy, I'm European) because the local builder stopped building pickups. The first 3 were for 7 stringers guitars, 3 pairs of hunbuckers, all Alnico5 loaded. The 4th time was for one of my 6 stringers, also both humbuckers. I've also done a semi-custom second time with Gorilla Pickups, but it was about pickup polarity orientation and magnet type for another 6 stringer with an HSH pickup layout. On ALL these 5 times I ordered pickups to small builders, the results smoked the DiMarzios away by miles and were about the same final value as if I bought new DiMarzios/Duncans/whatever (shipping included).

:::::::::

It's important you do some reading about pickups, how do they work, what compenents do they have, how do these interact with each other:
    1. wire types (gauge),
    2. magnet types (Seymour Duncan web site has a FAQ about this, it's kind of superficial, but will get you there)
    3. what DCR means (in reality it serves as a counter for the amount wire). In my experience, the more DCR, the more compressed the pickup will sound, which also means more turns of wire in the bobbin. As @KnightBrolaire would say, DCR is not pickup output.
    4. base plates and bobbin geometry (taller, fatter/wider...?)
    A coil (2 per humbucker) may feature different wires for tuned results, depending on your needs or on what the builders thinks of it.

:::::::::

A suggestion: I've been testing the Alnico5 magnet lately for the past 3 to 4 years with great satisfaction. As I said, I used to be a DiMarzio guy (maybe because os Vai, Satriani, Petrucci to name a few), but got a bit tired on those I've tried. When I contacted the firs time the local builder, I asked for clarity and articulation as the main feature and less output than the DiMarzio references I had. I also play some progy something metal sometimes with complex chords under high gain and I needed all the notes to ring out clearly, which the DiMarzios weren't delivering, even after a pot swap for ones with higher ohms.

Finally, don't be afraid to ask questions to him. This is the only way you can make an informed decision about any subject, and more so on these technical ones.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    budda likes this.
  11. VentureIntumesce

Thank you for this! When I hear back I will use some of this to help with their design. I am also seeking clarity and articulation as u said above. I do not have the technical knowledge that you do but I am going to read up on some of the things you mentioned. I also sent him the specs of the stock pickups so I think that will help.

odibrom likes this.
  12. odibrom

odibrom .

Every info you'll give will help him nail your goals. Good luck!

13. SubsonicDoom99

SubsonicDoom99 SS.org Regular

Lots of good info already for you in this thread as you see :) Just to answer your original question, letting you know I've played both the Brimstone 7 string pickups as well as the Nazgul/Sentient 7 string set. Both were pretty awesome. The Brimstone was more aggressive, definitely more output and maybe a little harder to tame depending on how you play and how your tone's dialed up. Nazgul/Sentient is nicely balanced, I particularly like the Sentient pickup and felt that it provided a bit better of a clean tone than the Brimstone, and the Nazgul gets plenty aggressive and has awesome harmonics. Both sets of pickups are pretty articulate so I think you'll find what you're looking for there with either set. Hope this helps a little, good luck!

odibrom and VentureIntumesce like this.
  14. VentureIntumesce

What about the bare knuckle pickups? They are damn pricy and I just learned about them from akinari's link he shared. I would have to order on reverb from out of Canada so I cannot afford them but I am curious if they are worth the price tag?

15. VentureIntumesce

oh and thanks for sharing your insight on the brimstones. i was curious if they were worth the price tag as well. im in no rush to make this modification so i may do some more digging. I messaged the pickup maker that budda shared but he says he is pretty busy right now and isn't able to take any more orders right now lol. lots of people upgrading their gear during the pandemic lol

16. SubsonicDoom99

SubsonicDoom99 SS.org Regular

Hey sorry for a late reply!
    BKP are a really good brand and many people love 'em. For my taste and my wallet they do tend to run a bit expensive like you said, so that definitely is a deterrent.
    Obviously whether the pickups will be worth the extra $$$ for you just comes down to your own results and taste. Some people think the BK pickups are superior to SD regardless of cost, and others feel SD is the superior choice. While I think the Brimstones are very good at what they do, ultimately I was more than happy with what I got from the Nazgul/Sentient and they were more affordable so for me it was the better bargain overall, pricewise. But neither set was a bad purchase by any means. As they say, your results may vary though!

17. yan12

yan12 SS.org Regular

Lots of good info for you in this thread. I will add my 2 cents on a Sunday morning.

Regarding Schecter, I think they make outstanding pickups and are real sleepers. The best set for 7 string they make are the Apocalypse series. They feature Alnico 5 with small flanking ceramic magnets. They are better than the Brimstones IMHO and I have them in 3 guitars now.

If you are looking for super tight and articulate pickups for detuned stuff and don't need tons of high end lead tone, I have yet to find any pickup that can outdo a Lundgren M7. They are very specific but they are amazing....but not enough versatility for me. I actually had one in a neck position of a jazz guitar and it was pretty sweet. Very useable low end bass response with no mud.

Winding to your own specs is great also. I think with these types of questions folks can give advice, but it always comes down to what YOU want to hear and what flexibility you need to have. Now that I am 50, I am into other music. I have dedicated guitars and amps to do certain things which is mostly blues-jazz stuff these days. But thrash lives in me as I grew up with that music, so I have dedicate guitars and amps for that too. Back in the day I did it all on an Ibanez/Marshall with lots of pedals....never even cared about pickups. Now I do, but like other posters before me stated, it has a lot to do with pots, wiring, etc.

Good luck and have fun on your quest for the tone you seek. If you go Schecter, the Apocalypse is the answer.

18. VentureIntumesce

Thank you for posting this. I am still in the searching phase and I keep circling back to Schecter custom shop pickups.... so this is good to know about the apocalypse. They look really cool as well. I will check out the Lundgren M7 pickups too.

Thanks for your Sunday morning 2cents!

19. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

Im not the biggest Dimarzio fan, but I have to admit that I recently played a Schecter C1 Deluxu loaded with D Activators. It sounded pretty mean.

My Blackjack ATX is loaded with SH5. Im happy with that. Very versatile pickup with a nice growl to it.