best OD for a 5153?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by King Belial, Sep 25, 2020.

1. King Belial

King Belial SS.org Regular

im looking for a main stream od for my future 5153 stealth 50 that i can score at AMS. possibly built in compressor? in the future id like to try an EROS or that dirty tree boost. from what ive been told, this head doesnt need a boost but... i always like to have a boost in the mix. i was considering the Boss SD1, but im open to suggestions.

2. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

I have a dirty tree and a klirrton lichtbringer I run with my 50w stealth. Both are great boosts but they have slightly different personalities.

The dirty tree sounds a little more clear and hifi I guess you could say. Definitely able to do the fortin 33 thing in DT mode. I prefer running it in TC mode so it’s not as clanky. It’s kind of noisy if you don’t run a gate.
    The klirrton is a sleeper in my opinion. It doesn’t get a whole lot of press but it’s as quality as it gets and Karsten (the owner and builder @ klirrton) is extremely helpful through emails and an overall super nice guy.
    The lichtbringer can definitely get clanky like the dirty tree if you set it that way but also has this grindy yet tight quality to it that I really like. It’s kinda like a splash of TS9 mixed into the TC Pre cocktail. Enough to where I kept both boosts and didn’t sell one off.

3. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Don't know if it qualifies as an OD, but the TC spark boost sounds great in front of the blue channel of my 50w 6L6. Harley Benton vintage OD (TS close) also sounds great - doesn't remove too much low end. MXR GT-OD removes too much low end IMO the amp is plenty tight as is. Those are the 3 I have tried :)

4. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

You mentioned compressor and mainstream. The Marshall Ed the Compressor pedal is fantastic and cuts a little low end. I’ve used it as a boost plenty with different 5150’s but never a III. Keep the compression knob low and read the manual regarding the “emphasis” knob, spend some time getting the “attack” knob dial in as it seemed sensitive in my experience. There’s no shortage of them on the used market, they’ve stayed under the radar and can be had for like 50$. I don’t know what kind of a rig you have but if you’re running two heads just keep in mind it flips phase. Really great compressor/boost IMO.

5. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

My favorite boost is an Airis Effects Savage Drive if you don't mind paying for boutique. Ultimate flexibility and it's a super clean boost with a ridiculous amount of output on tap.

Of the more widely available pedals, I love the MXR M-77, got mine for $40. Really versatile with the bump knob and 100hz control. Hard to go wrong with a Maxon OD808 or any Tubescreamer clone as well. It's also worth trying an EQ pedal to run in front as a boost. No clipping but you can shape things exactly how you want. I did this for years with my 6505 for live work.

6. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Try a Fortin 33

7. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

the cannibal corpse guys told me they ditched the metalzones they used to boost their recto for the diezel herbert preamp

Deadpool_25, Emperoff, vilk and 6 others like this.
  8. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

9. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Boosting itself adds compression, you don't need an extra one. TS808 is tried and true.

10. runbirdman

runbirdman Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy Contributor

The Savage Drive is pretty popular for a reason. Airis makes a great product. I have a Savage Drive that I bought after I did a PedalPCB clone of it just to support the builder. I have a Parallel OD V2 from him in the mail as we speak. Every KSR product has been fantastic so I would make a guess the Eros is awesome. The Precision Drive is great.

I know you're pretty into Fortin stuff but any company's TC pre-clone will do the same job with more available options and it will most likely be cheaper.

Edit: Also check out the EQD Dunes. It's a super versatile pedal that has never left my board because I can use to dirty up clean channels or tighten gain channels.

11. King Belial

i had one. sent it in for repair. got lost in shipping returning back to me. fortin said they filed a claim with ups, havent heard shit in the past week. fuck fortin

12. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

13. King Belial

please tell more.

14. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I usually fall back on my Maxon OD-808 :metal: tried and true, you know? You might also check out the OD-808X or Mesa Grid Slammer for a TS flavor that's a bit more gnarly and has more volume on tap. Also, you would probably like the MXR M77 CBMOD if you were already considering an SD-1 anyway. Similar circuit to the SD-1, but with a dedicated bass control and selectable mid bump.

I don't like my Grind through my EVH as much as I do through most of my other amps since the EVH is already bright and tight. I'd assume it'd be a similar situation with other TC Pre clones like the Dirty Tree, but maybe having control over the bass and treble would yield better results than the baked-in curve of the Grind/33. The Friedman Buxom Boost is a great clean boost with a wide range of bass cut or boost to accommodate your guitar/pickups/amp however you like.

15. King Belial

yeah right lol

16. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

I've tried the TS9, OD808, SD805, and the Nano Attack with my 5153 50w 6L6 v2.

To my ears the SD805 wins over the TS9 and OD808 by a large margin. The Nano Attack wins over the SD805 by a small margin. The Nano Attack on the blue channel is what I use 99% of the time now, and it's specifically made to be used as a boost.

IMO you could not go wrong with the SD805 since it has a built in 3 band EQ so it can be dialed in to taste.

The TS9 and OD808 are standards for a reason though and are solid choices as well.

Happy OD hunting.

17. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

No joke, I do regret never trying the MXR 5150 as a boost before I sold it. I bought it to use as a preamp but found out quickly it was just a really good sounding distortion pedal with a nice quick gate. Lots of eq’ if made it passable as a preamp but not what I was looking to do with it. I really should have tried using it as a boost.

18. King Belial

i just ordered the SD805! thanx for your input :)

Korneo and rexbinary like this.
  19. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I mostly like my 805 for lead work, but I'm sure it'll be good for what you want too. It's also worth trying at 18v for more headroom and a tiny bit more volume :2c:

Korneo, rexbinary and King Belial like this.
  20. King Belial

Thanx brother. I'm just a drummer trying to convert to the guitar world. any help is greatly appreciated