Best mini practice amp for modern death metal tones???

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Gmork, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Wait it has to have speakers too? So your looking for a combo that fits in your backpack.

I’m pretty sure the THR10X and the Boss Katana Air are your best/only options

2. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Ola likes the Boss Katana Air:

3. gunch

gunch chungus

He got 5/8ths through a country lick before his body rejected it :lol:

XPT707FX and The906 like this.
  4. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

I also want to say how surprised I am with the Fly 3 mini. It has great clean tones which solid state amps normally have. However, the drive is really good as well. Stock, it can get you up to Iron Maiden classic rock/metal type gain. It reacts very well to playing dynamics and using the volume pot. It also takes pedals very well. I use an Artec 7 band eq to boost the hell out of the signal and it really overdrives the amp like it would a large amp. It's nice for me because it gets that sound of a pushed amp but also the little speaker is pushing hard as well but at a volume level that won't get the police called. This is all with my V that has high output humbuckers.

With my 70s style strat that has plain single coils, the gain is much less. Using the eq as a boost creates a really high gain but very gnarly tone that I don't know how to describe. It's different than the humbucker. The humbucker makes a more smooth sound while the single sounds like it's been around the block and has caught every STI possible at some point. It's mean and angry and sounds like it's about to commit a war crime. And it cleans up very easy by just rolling off the volume knob. I really like it. Needs a noise gate for the hum though.

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

The Boss and Yamaha options are probably the best fit.

My only other suggestion would be to use the headphone output of a Pocket POD into a bluetooth speaker. Cheaper and potentially smaller, though it probably wouldn't sound as good :lol:

6. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

I haven't looked much into the Katana series(I didn't know about the mini either) but this Air looks rather nifty. I like having the acoustic to take places but miss having hi gain and fx to play with at times.

Seems to fit the bill for what you're looking for OP.

7. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

What about those Marshall 15 watt mini stacks? I never played one but they look like they'd be great for a lot of situations.