Best dimarzio neck pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by ProphetOfHatred, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

The Evo would probably NOT work for the sound I'm after - I basically want a seven string PAF Pro/AT-1 set, which they clearly don't offer. :lol: The TZ is actually pretty good if you keep it a little lower from the strings than you might normally (it gets fuzzy as it gets closer, but sweetens up and smooths out as it backs off), and a Dimarzio rep also suggested the Ionizer neck as a little warmer and thicker than a PAF7, but I've never had the opportunity to play one.

I really just wish Dimarzio would make a PAF Pro 7. :lol: It's such a staple 6-string pickup, versatile enough for neck or bridge, and sounds more different from the PAF7 than, say, a Liquifire sounds from an Air Norton, so it wouldn't be redundant. :lol:

2. Kryss

Kryss Your new god!

I've had dimarzio evolutions forever and I just tried one of the liquifires. I have to say it is probably the best neck pickup I've ever heard. I still love evos in the bridge spot. still prefer those to the crunchlab, but just barely. the evos have a little more definition imo in the treble for solos. but ya neck position can't go wrong with the liquifire imo.

3. Pav

Pav ???

Are we talking 6 or 7 strings?? Or 8????

4. TheUnvanquished

TheUnvanquished SS.org Regular

I second the paf pro. I've got one in a 2004 korean-made ibanez s470. It is killer for those applications and more!

5. gclef

gclef SS.org Regular

I love the air Norton s.

That said, the Duncan full shred is neck and neck with it. Turn down the tone knob and ratcheting up the gain is heavemly

Pun intended.

6. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

Liquifire hands down for me. I have both the 6 and 7 string version. The seven paired with a D-Sonic (which I also have in a 6), and the six paired with a crunchlab.

D-Sonic/lf is my go to combo.

7. ProphetOfHatred

ProphetOfHatred SS.org Regular

Anymore opinions on the Titan neck?

8. gay4ass

gay4ass SS.org Regular

Tried the following:

Air Norton: Petrucci Shreddy tone. Very smooth but one dimensional. Gives you the "tu tut tu tut tuutut tutut" sound for fast runs.

Liquidfire: Read above for Air Norton but with a little less low end and a little bit more mids.

Evo Neck: Shrill and unforgiving towards bad technique. Cuts thru a mix well.

Paf Pro: Very sweet and tubular sounding neck. Notes have this nice chime to it. Very clear even under high gain.

Gravity Storm: Sounds like a super clear and articulate Paf Pro. Notes are clear and dont bleed into each other. When you run them in parallel or spilt, they sound very close to a single coil. My favourite neck pickup ever!!!

9. chewpac

chewpac working up to 7...

+1 on the gravity storm. awesome.

I just installed a GS bridge into my parker that already had a GS neck. The new bridge model is replacing an Evo2, which is also cool, but the way the set works together is just awesome.

If we're talking 7 string models, i'm a big fan of the Ionizers.

10. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

If you have a loud bridge pickup, you may try the FRED in the neck. Sounds amazing!! I have one in my JCustom RG GEAR. Mahogany guitar with a Super 3 in the bridge. May be the best neck tone ever for me!

11. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

On my six-string, I've got dual Evolutions. I have always absolutely loved how those pickups sound. Rhythm, lead, note definition when playing chords, those pickups can do no wrong in my mind.

Since they don't make a seven-string variant of the Evolution neck, I went with a LiquiFire/D-Activator combo in my seven-string. I like the LiquiFire, but you can definitely hear the lack of articulation when you try to play anything percussive on it. Not ideal, but still a good pickup. The D-Activator sounds great for riffing, but it's such a massively hot pickup that cleans sound like total ..... As good as it sounds on high gain channels, it reminds we way too much of a Super Distortion. I keep finding myself wanting to grab a screwdriver and get the pickup farther away from the strings.

So yeah, if DiMarzio would just go ahead and come out with a seven-string variant of the Evolution neck, that'd be great. (Also, if anyone wants to throw 7-string recommendations my way, be my guest.)

EDIT: Actually, I've never heard the Gravity Storms before... judging from reviews and specs, there is a good chance I'd like those more than Evolutions.

12. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

7 string PAF Pro, and I'm sold!

13. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I have the Titan neck in my LTD EC-1000 and find it to be a very enjoyable pickup. I think that the pickup is best suited for use with effects (high gain or clean), as this is when the pickup really comes alive in my opinion (very smooth, refined, clear). If you like loading mod/delay/reverb effects on your tone then the Titan neck should be on the top of your list.

14. ProphetOfHatred

ProphetOfHatred SS.org Regular

How does it sound for super shreddy John Pretrucci stuff?

15. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Pretty good, although the Liquifire does that sound better in my opinion. The Titan is somewhat close but is a little less powerful and a tad more 'focused' and compressed.

16. Hachetjoel

Hachetjoel Ibanez whore Contributor

the blaze neck is very close, its supposed to be based on the evo neck, and the gravity storms are about the polar opposite of the evolutions but i have a set and i love them

17. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

Hmmm, I've always blown off Blazes because I don't like mid-scooping and I've heard a lot of mixed things about them.

18. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Liquifire is more dull but more even sounding than air norton. Air norton can sound really nice on cleans, but sometimes it can get spiky or muddy under high gain. I am just testing humbucker from hell. Very nice, mid-to-low output PU. Very open and single-coilish humbucker. I like it. But i personally love chopper (single sized) in the neck. Single coil attack and bite, bubbly body and tight lows. Another nice one, but not so good on the cleans is duncan full shred.

19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I never got the "blazes are scooped" thing. They have a ton of lower mids to them, and never struck me as terribly scooped. Dimarzio's description and tone chart implies that they are scooped, but I disagree - the midrange is just concentrated a bit lower in frequency. As long as you don't then go and scoop your amp, you should be fine.

It probably doesn't help that for the longest time they were the only seven string pickups Dimarzio made, and when they introduced an alternative, it was the Tone Zone 7, which is VERY middy. By comparison, anything else seems scooped. :lol:

But, the Blaze bridge is one of my favorite seven string pickups I've played - it's the sound of SO many classic seven string guitar recordings, so it's just kind of what I'm used to hearing when I play something on the low B. I don't think anyone would describe "Awake" or "Covenant" as scooped sounding albums, you know?

20. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I very much like the Blaze neck, very well designed, medium/medium high output, useful in vintage or high gain amp settings. Wish I had it's 6 string counterpart sometimes.