Best CD Duplication Options

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Najka, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

CD is soo de rigueur, right? This screams high end meets old school, plus you can always delete and give one to grandma with family pics, then she can become a fan as well :)

I am seriously looking into these for our band.

2. Najka

Najka SS.org Regular

I like the idea of bundling it with a poster.. still get to see the artwork and image.

I was just thinking that the USB could be an opportunity to include additional files for media, like extra pictures, videos.. something more to reward someone for actually plugging it into their computer. I guess the booklet with lyrics could also be made into digital format and included.

Something of note - 100 of the personalized USB drives tends to cost more than 100 jewel cases from the instant quotes on a couple sites..

kind of nice to be able to stick it in your wallet at a show.

[​IMG]

3. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Cover art can be embedded in the metadata of the MP3 file so that when it plays in iTunes or WMP, it shows the cover art. It can also be included as a high quality JPEG on the USB drive.

4. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Where did you find these credit card sized? I might need a quote.

5. fcv

fcv SS.org Regular

I've ordered just blank white card shaped drives from these guys before to be able to carry some files around easily in my wallet, and they offer that type of printing service: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OOD3TSY/

I've used maybe about 30 of their drives with no issues/failures. I originally chose them since I read somewhere they were using toshiba memory chips in theirs, and these days theres a lot of piss poor flash memory floating around, however I'm unable to find any sort of source on that at the moment, and that was also quite a while ago, so who knows how they are now.

6. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

I ordered a 20 tape-like USB drives run from Discmakers as we have a high profile gig this weekend and need merch. We'll see how it goes. I'll post once I get them in.

7. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

I don't think I would ever put a USB drive from a band in any computer I care about. The number of attack vectors over USB has increased to the point it is not worth the risk.

Find anything people will buy (shirts?) and give a "free" download code to anyone buying a shirt "tonight only"

8. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Most people are smart enough these days to run anti-virus software on their machines. Typically those AVs will scan devices as soon as they're plugged in.

Additionally, I would less skeptical of a band selling me a USB drive with their music than I would of a random USB drive I find in the street (where those kinds of attacks are most common).

9. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

My bandmates and I are going through the same thinking. Who buys cd's these days? The majority of my friends doesn't even own a cd player. One guy smiled when he saw my cd collection. "Yeah, my dad also has a lot of cd's".. -_-'
    To be fair, I only played cd's once in the last three years or so. (When said friend came to visit)
    I have Spotify on my phone, paired with bluetooth speakers so I ain't shitting with discs anymore.
    So now we are in between, go through the whole cd making process or just ditch it and find another way to release our music.
    That cassette tape usb thingy looks cool!

10. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

If you’re trying to sell a physical product for music I wouldn’t recommend CDs. I agree with the others there’s just not enough people who can actually still use them. You’ll end up with 500-1000 cds sitting in your basement.

The cassette drive idea is cool or the wallet drive. People will pay for something that is different and inventive. The shirt idea is also good cuz you can wear it. If you really want to sell something standing out helps. Good luck!

11. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Well a CD can be priced at $10 and you'll make a profit from selling it at that price. With other mediums it's much more for physical profit. Plus people should have something to sign.

I ended up getting USB cassette-like custom made as we were running out of CDs. On the first show we had it as merch, we sold out the remaining CDs and not a single USB so far :)

https://scrollkeeper.bandcamp.com/merch/limited-edition-lady-death-path-to-glory-usb-drive

12. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

You can buy 3 color silk screened shirts for less then 3 bucks at quantities around 100 (at least you used to). The quality was on par or better than most touring bands. And the print was usually straight and not borked. Arguing that buying 500 CDs to get a bulk deal and make profit seems pretty risky. I'd much rather buy 100 shirts and sell them for $7 profit than end up with 450 CDs in a garage. We started giving CDs away to people buying shirts to unload them.

13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Shout out to Atomic Disc. I was able to get cheaper prices AND better services from them than through Discmakers. I'd look into it at least.

I still love physical media, BTW.

14. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy OG Shredder

+1 for Discmakers

They are very good.....and if your CD image layout isnt done properly, they will call to make sure to adjust and check before they print

I gotta say, for the value of what you get, the awesome product and the assurance of quality, i wouldnt look elsewhere unlesss you know they are good and/or you have an amazing deal