Best CD Duplication Options

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Najka, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Najka

Najka SS.org Regular

As of 2019, what are some of the best CD Duplication companies out there? Preferably for a short run, 100-150 copies. Does anyone have experience with this?

Looking for quality, not necessarily the cheapest option if that requires sacrificing quality.

Packaging in a jewel case with a 12 page booklet.

2. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I'd look at these as 3 different things. There's duplication, replication and then the booklet and packaging. There's plenty of do it all companies out there but for best quality you're looking at replication, not duplcation. Ex Disc, DiscMakers etc. do all this stuff. in limited runs. Just do Google research , read reviews and read the guarantees to see what's a good fit.

3. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I've had better luck finding local businesses over online services. IME they're going to be a little more attentive to details, and the small amount of extra cost is usually made up by not having to ship anything.

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I used Discmakers for two reasonably short-run projects now. Digipacks, no booklet, partly for cost and partly because I've always preferred digipacks. Quality was fine - not as nice as some of the better digipacks I own (thinking Tom Waits' Mule Variations here, which regardless of your feelings on the music, is an amazingly well done package), but still totally pro. I do like the idea of exploring local options, but in a pinch I'd definitely use them again.

You may have already done some pricing out here, but for what you're looking at - jewel case, 12pg booklet, profgessionally replicated CDs - it's going to get pricy. Especially so if you don't already have the liner notes designed and if not already laid out in the appropriate template, then having someone on hand with the graphic design software know-how to put it into the appropriate template (a lot of these services also have graphic design services available, but again even if you supply the concept and some sort of mockup, that'll add to the cost). I don't remember exactly what it came to per disc, but its easy to get an online quote from Discmakers so I'd start by specing out an order on their site to get an idea what you're looking to pay.

Najka likes this.
  5. Ozzfest

Ozzfest SS.org Regular

CdBaby?

6. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

Najka likes this.
  7. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

https://www.discmakers.com/

did 2 runs of Digipacks recently, everything came out fantastic.
    We had a commercial artist do the album cover, and honestly CDs (and tees) came out better than a lot of the label signed bands that we've been playing with.

Najka likes this.
  8. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Slight curveball opinion here... but why go with CDs? You can buy bulk USB drives with 1-2gb of storage for dirt cheap and 500mb drives for even less. Then you grab a USB hub, do some powershell scripting to copy files from a source to a destination and you can bang out 100 of them in a couple of hours.

Boofchuck, Najka and aesthyrian like this.
  9. Ozzfest

Ozzfest SS.org Regular

Until I can think of a reason why that could be a bad idea, it sounds like a good idea. Haha

Merrekof and aesthyrian like this.
  10. Najka

Najka SS.org Regular

Awesome responses, hopefully others will find this thread useful.

Thank you for the review, I'll put them on my list to check out

I'm going to check them out, makes me feel much more confident to hear this. I highly appreciate the recommendation!

I have read horrible reviews of CDbaby, so I've been turned off to them
    That is a killer idea, and we have thought about that as an option. We spent a lot of effort on the artwork for the album. I believe the cover artwork is just as important as the music. The physical CD plays a critical role to me in the delivery of the music.. Maybe it's the nostalgia of holding a CD. It gleams more insight to the "why" factor.

I'm trying to make this album more of an experience, the art, booklet and visuals help complete that.

The cover art:
    [/IMG][​IMG]Nemoria - Self Titled Album Cover by Dan Schuch, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Ozzfest likes this.
  11. Ozzfest

Ozzfest SS.org Regular

Just curious.... What abouts did they say?

12. Najka

Najka SS.org Regular

Ozzfest likes this.
  13. Ozzfest

Ozzfest SS.org Regular

That sucks. I ask because we are going through them currently and if they're that bad then I wanna deal with someone else if it's not too late.

14. Najka

Najka SS.org Regular

It is wise to seek reviews prior to ordering/dealing with a manufacturing service. Maybe you can keep us updated on your experience with them? They have been responding to complaints at least, maybe your experience will be different

I like the diskmakers suggestion but they also have some shaky reviews.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/disc-makers-pennsauken

Bison disk has hit and miss reviews as well, better than CDbaby
    https://www.trustpilot.com/review/bisondisc.com

These reviews are what prompted me to start the thread.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  15. Ozzfest

Ozzfest SS.org Regular

As far as I know the drummer is handling everything regarding the cd printing because he is the one that made the account. Im pretty sure he has everything they'd need as far as our artwork and digipak options and of course the tracks...but I dont think he actually paid anything yet...he wouldn't give them the green light unless he got the green light from all of us; so I will find out tomorrow where everything stands with that and I will get back to you!

16. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

These are a little hard to sign on your next show, plus where will you fit the artwork?

17. Najka

Najka SS.org Regular

haha right, I think if I saw flash drives being sold at a show I'd only buy them if there was something unique. If it's just for the Mp3 files I could download them on Itunes directly into my phone, plus most music is already available for free at a streaming station, or youtube.

You could almost take this a step further and just sell download codes to itunes for your album -but like a flash drive I think most people would just go directly to Itunes themselves.

It also takes away some of that mediate gratification everyone craves, you can't just pop in some headphones and start listening on your phone, and you can't play it in the car on the way home.. you have first get home, upload it to a computer, sinc it with your phone.. ugh not in 2019

It's not a bad idea- but I see it being overlooked unless there was something unique about the drive. I think this is why vinyl is a thing right now, it's about the experience.

Diskmakers actually did jump on this.. https://www.discmakers.com/usb/usb-music-distribution.asp

I like their idea of using the flashdrives as limited release tickets or promotional items..

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  18. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Bundle them with a poster.

The only working CD player I own is in an old rusty Jeep that I use for a winter beater. My computers, daily drivers, etc. don't have them.

decoy205 likes this.
  19. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Cassette tape USB are actually kind of cool or the little USB cards. Those might have collectable value.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boofchuck likes this.
  20. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

See, that's awesome. If a smaller band had those at their merch booth I'd be far more interested than a CD.